If You Want to Write: A Book about Art,…

If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit (1938)

by Brenda Ueland

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg (Z-Ryan)
    The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear by Ralph Keyes (alexmuninn)
    alexmuninn: Courage to Write has a very similar message to Ueland's book (indeed, Keyes quotes If You Want to Write) but it was written in 1995 rather than 1938, so Courage to Write lacks the disturbing and dated racism of If You Want to Write.

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
wonderful! ( )
  ava-st-claire | Feb 21, 2014 |
The best book on creativity I've ever read. Written in 1937, still completely fresh and inspiring. ( )
1 vote ericaheinz | Apr 4, 2013 |
Read in 2013, instructional
  gabebaker | Mar 18, 2013 |
A classic! I've read this several times, and I always find something else that inspires me. It always helps me get out of a 'rut.'

Mind you, it's not really a book on technique, so if you're looking for a more nuts-and-bolts kind of writing book (structure, plot development, etc.), you may want to skip this one. But, if you are looking for inspiration and tips on getting started, this will certainly help. Happy writing! ( )
1 vote AlekG | Jan 7, 2013 |
A decent book on writing. Does not provide any specific points on writing per se but it does act to try to get past the biggest hurdles in writing, namely, the mind of the writer. I could have done with less examples or at least shorter ones which I found to be the only flaw. The other factor to take into consideration is that this was written in 1938. The books description of the psychology of writing is way ahead of its time. Can be used as an inspiration. ( )
  dirac | Oct 24, 2012 |
I have been writing a long time and have learned some things, not only from my own long hard work, but from a writing class I had for three years.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0915308940, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:22 -0400)

For most, the hardest part of writing is overcoming the mountain of self-denial that weighs upon the spirit, always threatening to extinguish those first small embers of ambition. Brenda Ueland, a writer and teacher, devotes most of her book--published back in 1938, before everyone and their goldfish got their MFA's in creative writing--to these matters of the writer's heart. Still, the real gift of the book is Ueland herself: She liked to write, she didn't care what anyone thought, and she had a great sense of humor. You're simply happy to hang out with her.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible