Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan…

Whistling Past the Graveyard (edition 2013)

by Susan Crandall (Author)

Member:kitchenwitch04
Title:Whistling Past the Graveyard
Authors:Susan Crandall (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2013), Edition: 1st Printing, 320 pages
Collections:READ, Kindle - Owned, Your library, Books I've Read, Currently reading, To read, Read but unowned, Favorites, Wishlist
Tags:to-read, my-kindle-books

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Iudita, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Set in the American South during the 1960s, these moving coming-of-age stories star motherless white girls whose strong bonds with older African-American women result in dangerous yet eye-opening journeys that unfold against the backdrop of the burgeoning civil rights movement.… (more)
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth Hoffman (Iudita)
    How High the Moon: A Novel by Sandra Kring (BookSpot)
    BookSpot: The sassy, precocious narrators of very similar ages (10 in HHtM and nine in WPtG) in these historical pieces (1955 for HHtM and 1963 for WPtG) reminded me a good bit of each other.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (JGoto)
    JGoto: Wonderful classic with spunky child's point of view, racist setting

Ever want to smack a lung out of a character in a book? Well, that's what I wanted to do with Starla (age 9 going on 25) and her grandmother. It's Mississippi, 1962. Starla is a redheaded 'firecracker' like her runaway mother. Starla's grandmother is very mean to Starla who runs away to find her mother in Nashville. This leads to a string of events which has a ripple effect on everyone. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Dec 28, 2018 |
I read this ARC as an ebook from NetGalley

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall is set in Cayuga Springs, Mississippi and towns along the way to Nashville in the summer of 1963. Nine-year-old Starla Claudelle’s mother left Starla at the age of three when she went to Nashville to live out her dream to become a famous singer. Starla lived with her Grandmother, Mamie, while her father went to work on an oil rig in the Gulf. Mamie and Starla didn’t get along and Starla had a lot of spunk for her age. The Fourth of July disagreement between Mamie and Starla was the last straw for Starla so she set out for Nashville to find her mother. She believed that finding her mother would change her life for the better. Unfortunately, finding her mother didn’t change her life but the journey to Nashville did. When she accepts a ride with Eula, a black woman with a white baby, Starla begins a trip that forces her to grow up and find the true happiness that she seeks.

This story is well written and brings out the best and worst of the time period. The line that was drawn between black and white is well represented. Crandall does well to also show that there were people who didn’t accept that blacks were treated with such disrespect. I truly enjoyed red-haired Starla and her moxie, and Eula, who was portrayed as a well-rounded black woman with the courage and compassion that saved Starla, inspired me.

“My daddy says that when you do somethin’ to distract you from you worstest fears, it’s like whistlin’ past the graveyard. You know, making a racket to keep the sacredness and the ghosts away. He says that’s how we get by sometimes. But it’s not weak, like hidin’…it’s strong. It means you’re able to go on.” I feel that this statement both represents the title and summarizes very well the theme of the novel.

Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Plucky 9 year old Saarland runs away from home to search for her mother in Nashville. She meets Eula a woman with her own secrets. Through their experiences Starla and Eula form a bond each bringing what the other sorely needs. There is a out of Ian in this book but it’s balanced by a lot of laughter. This is funny, sad and thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  cdyankeefan | Sep 1, 2018 |
It took me a while to get into this book, but by about half way, I couldn't put it down. A great read to open your eyes in a gentle way to the effects of segregation, the good and bad on every end of the "skin rainbow", and life in the south. I can't wait to discuss this at book club! ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jun 2, 2018 |
Starla lives with her strict grandmother in 1963. She does something that makes her believe that she will be severely punished, and so she runs away. Eula, an African American baker, picks her up on the side of the road. When Starla gets in her truck, her life changes forever. Having stumbled into Eula's life, she's suddenly confronted by the realities of people, the good, the bad, and the ugly. As she and Eula work to get to Nashville, Starla discovers what it means to be black in 1963 and how helpers are not always who you would expect. Along the way, she discovers who her family is and who she is. This is a fantastic book about the realities and turmoil of 1963, and about the hope that things can change and people can accept others for who they are. ( )
  Bookseiffel | Feb 23, 2018 |

Susan Crandallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rubinate, AmyNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family, Bill, Reid, Melissa, Allison, Mark and my mother Margie.  This book was so special to me that I couldn't choose just one of you.
My grandmother said she prays for me every day.

In the summer of 1963, nine-year-old Starla Claudell runs away from her grandmother's Mississippi home.  Starla's destination is Nashville, where her mother went to become a famous singer, abandoning Starla when she was three.  Walking a lonely country road, Starla accepts a ride from Eula, a black woman traveling alone with a white baby  Now, on the road trip that will change her life forever, Starla sees for the first tie life as it really is0as she reaches for a dream of how it could one day be. (ARC)

Determined to get to Nashville to find her mother in 1963, nine-year-old spitfire Starla Claudelle runs away from her strict grandmother's Mississippi home, eventually accepting a ride from a Eula, a black woman traveling alone with a white baby.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,461,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible