Seduced by the Gladiator by Lauren Hawkeye

Seduced by the Gladiator (edition 2013)

by Lauren Hawkeye

621,797,263 (3.17)None
Member:BookBetch
Title:Seduced by the Gladiator
Authors:Lauren Hawkeye
Info:Avon Red (2013), Kindle Edition, 332 pages

Seduced by the Gladiator by Lauren Hawkeye

Full Review to be posted soon at The Book Pushers.

This is more like one and half stars - Quick thoughts and mini review.

If I could sum one word to describe what this book was like for me - then it would be disappointing. It held so much promise, one it was set during Roman times and two it features a hero and heroine who were gladiators. Now you would think this would be a great combination and a great premise. But nope this was a huge and utter complete fail for me, and this is because it had the heroine, Lilia who was suppose to be the best gladiator in Rome. She's worked hard for the title of Lilia the Fierce but I really didn't see much of this - it was a lot of telling that she was strong and skilled and was able to handle guys much bigger and stronger than she was.

But her status as the leading gladiator is threatened when another, Christus arrives from a competing Ludus and Lilia is afraid that she would soon become relegated and join the ranks of the other gladiators who sexually abused and bullied her when she first arrived. But Christus finds her very attractive and Lilia soon shares and responds in kind but their forbidden romance may threaten their position and lives.

What I found really disappointing and kind of ranty because it is my hot buttons, was the fact, that Lilia is suppose to be this strong heroine, but throughout the entire book, we rarely see this. Yes, she states she's worked hard to get on top of the hierarchy of gladiators as well as surviving the abuse by the others. But this factor was diminished when there were hardly any scenes of her fighting or even training. When she was confronted by one of her tormentors unaware a few times, even though she was a warrior who should have been alert. Lilia is consternated that Christus becomes her protector which weakens her position, but there is a scene towards the end of the book which involves a big epic gladiator game for the death. There was a chance for her to get her vengeance and regain her agency and control of the past towards her tormentor but she decides not because he didn't deserve it. I was pretty miffed off because this wasn't not believable especially in a game for the fight for their lives. I did like the fact Christus stepped back and gave the chance to kill him, but Lilia's decision to decline and let Christus to do it was a huge disappointment. I also did not like the subtext and the message this had to the reader and it also fell into the pitfalls of strong heroines gone wrong.

I think readers who enjoy this setting, but who wont care about the issues I highlighted may enjoy the book. And while I know this is an erotic romance - the sex could not carry the premise and it felt Spartacus lite, but without any real thought to the detail of the setting and period as well characterisation which was pretty weak for me.

I really wanted to like this book, because I love different settings and periods but it was definitely not for me and I hate books that make me feel like going on a rantage.

Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
This was my first Lauren Hawkeye novel, and I really did enjoy it. There may have been some fits and starts, but Seduced by the Gladiator was a sexual and sensual ride through gladiatorial life in Ancient Rome. It skimmed the surface in places and went too deep in others, but again as a whole it was well done. Christus was a very strong and compassionate male and Lilia was the emblem of a strong female lead. They were both positive role models (again, not that children should be reading this)

The one thing that I did not enjoy was that the entire story was told through the first person point of view of Lilia. I enjoy the heroine’s point of view, but this could have been amped up with a little more testosterone. While it was interesting to see the POV of the only successful female gladiator (although clearly imagined) I could have used some male perspective, and I think it would have guided the story in a stronger way.

That being said, holy goodness did I not mind looking at Christus through Lilia. Lauren Hawkeye described him to a T, and man did he make me glisten. I want one. (I know I almost always say that, but whew I want this man… I would probably fight a leopard for him)

And, the SEX was holy moly just wow. Every way, every way, any time. Who cares what the consequences are. My was it steamy. I had to put the book down at least three times because I was having hot flashes. E.L. James should take notes on Lauren Hawkeye, this woman knows where it’s at. Again, holy gosh. I can’t even speak it was all so graphic and fabulous. I would do ANYTHING Christus told me to… so props to Lilia the fierce and Lauren Hawkeye for creating both these wonderfully exciting and strong characters.

I recommend this book to: anyone with a pulse, anyone who likes classics/ historical romance, anyone who likes even the idea of a man dressed as a gladiator, women who like strong women but are willing to submit to love ( )
  BookBetch | Jul 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062252054, Mass Market Paperback)

Lauren Hawkeye’s Seduced by the Gladiator is a sexy romp through the arenas of Ancient Rome.

Lilia, in the unparalleled role of female gladiator, has worked hard for her position and reputation. When she meets Christus, a fellow warrior in her ludus, their instant, undeniable attraction puts both of them in jeopardy. They must keep their affair secret from their fellow gladiators, and fight for the champions of Rome.

Racy and compelling, Seduced by the Gladiator, a fast-paced and smart historical romance, with powerful characters and an adventure-packed storyline that’s wickedly sexy, fast-paced, and full of hot romance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:12 -0400)

Lauren Hawkeye is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,854,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible