William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A…

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope

by Ian Doescher

Other authors: George Lucas (Inspiration)

Series: William Shakespeare's Star Wars (Part the Fourth)

English (112)  Swedish (1)  All languages (113)
William Shakespeare’s Star Wars:Verily a New Hope- Doesche
Audio performance - multiple readers
3.5 stars

This was a lot of fun. Geek, nerd, fan fiction; this checked all the boxes. The author’s notes refer to Joseph Campbell’s Hero With a Thousand Faces, the universal themes of Shakespeare’s tragedies, the dynamics of iambic pentameter, and the overall geekiness of combining these things with the Lucas’ sagas. It makes perfect geeky sense. And it was funny.

I liked the audio production. The text is actually a script. It should be read aloud. I really loved the R2D2 sound effects that were given Shakespearean asides. Most of the voice artists were clearly imitating the movie actors. I’m not sure if that was the best way to go. For me, it was more effective and funnier when the lines were read as if they were actually a serious Shakespearean text.

Still, I enjoyed the silliness of it. It made me want to watch the original three Star Wars Movies. After that Shakespeare in Love and The Reduced Shakespeare Company, followed by a day at a Renaissance Fair. Geek heaven. ( )
  msjudy | Dec 12, 2018 |
Clever read! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |

If you love both Star Wars and Shakespeare, you need to read this book. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Star Wars done in the method of William Shakespeare? Those lines we know so well in iambic pentameter? Sounds ridiculous and like something that could never work...... but it does, and the result is both hilariously funny and completely brilliant!

Definitely recommended to fans of Star Wars and anyone with a passing reference to Shakespeare. Inside you will find clever R2D2 thought asides (he's been taking lessons from Puck in my opinion). Wonderful monologues and soliloquies which give great internal insight to all your favorite characters.... and inside jokes and references for fans of the Star Wars series (Who did fire first? for instance) and clever adaptations of famous Shakespearian lines from across his plays (Romeo and Juliet, Richard the 3rd, Julius Caesar, etc)... See if you can catch them as the go by. Honestly, I would have never guessed it, but the material translates beautifully, where else but in Star Wars and in Shakespeare do the ghosts of those past advise the players on stage. I can't wait to see how Yoda translates in the next installment, I have a feeling his backwards way of speaking may translate into iambic pentameter perfectly.

*Special note....try the audiobook, like all good plays it's better read aloud by different people and they have added the Star Wars music and sound effects which just enhance it even more. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
"There let our heroes rest free from attack/Till darkness rise and Empire striketh back."
Hilarious reading, highly recommended to any Star Wars enthusiast. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |

Prologue:
Outer space.
Enter
CHORUS

CHORUS: It is a period of civil war.
The spaceships of the rebels, striking swift
From base unseen, have gain'd a vict'ry o'er
The cruel Galactic Empire, now adrift.
Thou knave!

With thy last breath hear thou this word: if this

Is but a cons'lar ship, then where is the ambassador?

May the verse be with you! Inspired by one of the greatest creative minds in the English language—and William Shakespeare—here is an officially licensed retelling of George Lucas’s epic Star Wars in the style of the immortal Bard of Avon.

The saga of a wise (Jedi) knight and an evil (Sith) lord, of a beautiful princess held captive and a young hero coming of age, Star Wars abounds with all the valor and villainy of Shakespeare’s greatest plays. Reimagined in glorious iambic pentameter, William Shakespeare’s Star Wars will astound and edify learners and masters alike. Zounds! This is the book you’re looking for.
Verily, the tale
of Star Wars IV: A New Hope
doth herein be told.
(yoyogod)
What if "A long time

ago" really meant back in

Shakespearian words?

(legallypuzzled)

A retelling of Star wars in the style of Shakespeare, in which a wise Jedi knight, an evil Sith lord, a beautiful captive princess, and a young hero coming of age reflect the valor and villainy of the Bard's greatest plays.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ian Doescher's book William Shakespeare's Star Wars was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,185,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible