Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

by Dan Ariely

An evaluation of the sources of illogical decisions explores the reasons why irrational thought often overcomes level-headed practices, offering insight into the structural patterns that cause people to make the same mistakes repeatedly.

English (97)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (99)
El esta estructurado como:
- introduccion a idea
- explicacion de como hicieron un estudio
- resultado
- conclusiones

Todo esto explicado de forma simple y amena. Es facil comprender sus conclusiones y recordar las ideas del libro gracias a los detalles de los estudios. Muy recomendable ( )
  trusmis | Nov 28, 2020 |
At last, a behavioral book from an author who is actually doing the research himself.
Good reference. Packed with studies results and facts. Hard to extrapolate precisely the changes to make in ones life. But just remembering that we do not control everything we do, and thus need to be careful. ( )
  jbrieu | Nov 6, 2020 |
On the one side, this book is quite accessibly written and highlights a variety of irrational behaviors that the average person may not already be aware of.

On the other side, as a psychology major, I found this book offensively misleading for its gross generalizations of small studies, and as a woman, I found this book extraordinarily misogynistic and riddled with patronizing quips.

Oof. Do not recommend. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
This book is responsible for opening my eyes to behavioral sciences and a great passion for cognitive behavior study. ( )
  MerelyHuman | Nov 26, 2019 |
I'm enjoying it so far. Each chapter can stand on its own. ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |

Dan Arielyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Galli, ChiccaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mentors, colleagues, and students -- who make research exciting
To my mentors, colleagues, and students—
who make research exciting
I have been told by many people that I have an unusual way of looking at the world.
There is also a revised and expanded edition. Please do not combine.

Why do our headaches persist after taking a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a 50-cent aspirin?.

Why does recalling the Ten Commandments reduce our tendency to lie, even when we couldn't possibly be caught?.

Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup?.

Why do we go back for second helpings at the unlimited buffet, even when our stomachs are already full?.

And how did we ever start spending $4.15 on a cup of coffee when, just a few years ago, we used to pay less than a dollar?.

When it comes to making decisions in our lives, we think we're in control. We think we're making smart, rational choices. But are we?.

In a series of illuminating, often surprising experiments, MIT behavioral economist Dan Ariely refutes the common assumption that we behave in fundamentally rational ways. Blending everyday experience with groundbreaking research, Ariely explains how expectations, emotions, social norms, and other invisible, seemingly illogical forces skew our reasoning abilities..

Not only do we make astonishingly simple mistakes every day, but we make the same types of mistakes, Ariely discovers. We consistently overpay, underestimate, and procrastinate. We fail to understand the profound effects of our emotions on what we want, and we overvalue what we already own. Yet these misguided behaviors are neither random nor senseless. They're systematic and predictable—making us predictably irrational.

From drinking coffee to losing weight, from buying a car to choosing a romantic partner, Ariely explains how to break through these systematic patterns of thought to make better decisions. Predictably Irrational will change the way we interact with the world--one small decision at a time   [book description from Amazon 9/17/2010]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,553,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible