Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded…

Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces… (edition 2009)

by Dan Ariely

Member:rachael_ariella
Title:Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
Authors:Dan Ariely
Info:Harper (2009), Edition: Rev Exp, Roughcut, 400 pages

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely

Recently added bypan0ramix, Razinha, stephenkoplin, georgefike, Tklcw, Rtos1, rajivaggy, private library, jchays, dewasus1

English (84)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (86)
I recently saw Ariely's December 2008 TED lecture ("Are we in control of our decisions?") and picked this up to read. A fascinating subject that makes an interesting book, but even more interesting are the comments here and on Amazon... Apparently, one shouldn't invite social psychologists and behavioral economists to the same faculty soirée. Ariely must certainly have done research on non-student populations, but to read this book, one might not think so and one of the chief complaints of the haters was his extrapolation of his findings (from the studies he included in this book) to the general populace. I see the complaint, but that doesn't discredit the points as they are presented in what should be seen as what it is: a popular science book, not an academic paper. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
interesting, all these behavioral economics books are pretty much the same just with different studies. ( )
  kate_r_s | Feb 12, 2017 |
Borrowed e-book from Anaheim Library 9/30/2014 ( )
  ShadowBarbara | Jan 27, 2017 |
Despite the fact that most of the experiments described were performed on American college students, there's a lof of universal truth in here. Even if you're able to buy generic aspirin without feeling like the cheaper price indicates less effectiveness, you can learn from Ariely how to make better decisions about everything from the dinner you choose at the restaurant to the people you keep as friends to the economists & politicians you trust to guide public policy or your investments. And it's easy to read & funny, too! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
El esta estructurado como:
- introduccion a idea
- explicacion de como hicieron un estudio
- resultado
- conclusiones

Todo esto explicado de forma simple y amena. Es facil comprender sus conclusiones y recordar las ideas del libro gracias a los detalles de los estudios. Muy recomendable ( )
  trusmis | Apr 30, 2016 |

Dan Arielyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Galli, ChiccaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mentors, colleagues, and students -- who make research exciting
To my mentors, colleagues, and students—
who make research exciting
I have been told by many people that I have an unusual way of looking at the world.
There is also a revised and expanded edition. Please do not combine.

Why do our headaches persist after taking a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a 50-cent aspirin?.

Why does recalling the Ten Commandments reduce our tendency to lie, even when we couldn't possibly be caught?.

Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup?.

Why do we go back for second helpings at the unlimited buffet, even when our stomachs are already full?.

And how did we ever start spending $4.15 on a cup of coffee when, just a few years ago, we used to pay less than a dollar?.

When it comes to making decisions in our lives, we think we're in control. We think we're making smart, rational choices. But are we?.

In a series of illuminating, often surprising experiments, MIT behavioral economist Dan Ariely refutes the common assumption that we behave in fundamentally rational ways. Blending everyday experience with groundbreaking research, Ariely explains how expectations, emotions, social norms, and other invisible, seemingly illogical forces skew our reasoning abilities..

Not only do we make astonishingly simple mistakes every day, but we make the same types of mistakes, Ariely discovers. We consistently overpay, underestimate, and procrastinate. We fail to understand the profound effects of our emotions on what we want, and we overvalue what we already own. Yet these misguided behaviors are neither random nor senseless. They're systematic and predictable—making us predictably irrational.

From drinking coffee to losing weight, from buying a car to choosing a romantic partner, Ariely explains how to break through these systematic patterns of thought to make better decisions. Predictably Irrational will change the way we interact with the world--one small decision at a time   [book description from Amazon 9/17/2010]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006135323X, Hardcover)

Why do our headaches persist after taking a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a 50-cent aspirin? Why does recalling the Ten Commandments reduce our tendency to lie, even when we couldn't possibly be caught? Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup? Why do we go back for second helpings at the unlimited buffet, even when our stomachs are already full? And how did we ever start spending $4.15 on a cup of coffee when, just a few years ago, we used to pay less than a dollar?

Not only do we make astonishingly simple mistakes every day, but we make the same types of mistakes, Ariely discovers. We consistently overpay, underestimate, and procrastinate. We fail to understand the profound effects of our emotions on what we want, and we overvalue what we already own. Yet these misguided behaviors are neither random nor senseless. They're systematic and predictable...making us predictably irrational.

From drinking coffee to losing weight, from buying a car to choosing a romantic partner, Ariely explains how to break through these systematic patterns of thought to make better decisions. Predictably Irrational will change the way we interact with the world...one small decision at a time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:46 -0400)

An evaluation of the sources of illogical decisions explores the reasons why irrational thought often overcomes level-headed practices, offering insight into the structural patterns that cause people to make the same mistakes repeatedly.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible