The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up by Jacob M.…

The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up

by Jacob M. Appel

I enjoyed this book, it was an excellent character development type story following the incredible series of events experienced by a man named Arnold Brinkman.
The ending seemed sort of forced so I took off a half a star for that, but overall, a nice read with some insightful descriptions of the post 9-11 world of NYC. ( )
  Cheryl-L-B | Dec 9, 2018 |
I can honestly say that this book was sheer madness. (Good madness) I wasn’t expecting a book about a man refusing to stand up for the national Anthem to be so interesting. I did get a bit bored towards the middle of the story but things quickly picked up soon after. I love the different characters and how we see the character develop through it all. I especially thought it was interesting to read about all these different people he met on his adventure and how life changing they were to him. ( )
  giselle01 | Dec 6, 2018 |
Spoiler free review. I believe this story would have benefited from a good editor making the story more concise and pointing out believability issues to the author. The last part of the book needs a good rewrite. It's too bad because the potential for more is there. I just don't feel like this is a final draft. I would tell the author to practice writing loveable characters, keep the story simple, and trim the fat. I was sent this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Calactress | Dec 4, 2018 |
The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up is a satirical take our post-9/11 society. When the quiet and nondescript Arnold Brinkman refused to stand during the national anthem, his minor act of civil disobedience sparks a firestorm that soon has the entire country up in arms. While the story quickly devolves into the absurd, the premise itself is surprisingly prescient considering the book was published a couple of years before the NFL national anthem protests in 2017. I have mixed feelings about the book--the writing is humorous, but the unlikable protagonist and the anticlimactic ending tempered my overall enjoyment of the story.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up from the author. This has not influenced my review of the book. ( )
  hianbai | Nov 16, 2018 |
The Man Who Wouldn’t Stand Up
By Jacob M. Appel

A smart and sober examination of personal rights in today’s America. The novel investigates what happens when one man tries to cope with a life changing decision on using his right to free speech; and its effect on those around him.

Set in Brooklyn, New York. Fast and fun with colorful and relatable characters. ( )
  Mariel.S | Nov 11, 2018 |
One thing led to another.

Arnold Brinkman is a shy and retiring botanist; he loves his plants more than his country. But when his refusal to stand for the national anthem at a baseball game causes a major media incident, he is thrown into a world of pushy patriots, preachers, and press. And it's not going to get any easier when he refuses to apologize. A hilarious bullet into the heart of modern America, this novel mixes the literary sensibilities of Jonathan Franzen with the raucous satire of D.B.C. Pierre, and was the recipient of the Dundee International Book Prize.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible