The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up by Jacob M.…

The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up

by Jacob M. Appel

9219131,245 (3.72)1

I was given a copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book was caught my interest because of current news and of the 100-year-old-man. However, I felt that the book needs to amplify the voices of the minorities in the political movement of not standing up to the anthem. I also feel that aside from supporting an important protest, it also had some capacity to battle ageism in the topic.

Unfortunately, the expectations that caught my interest were not met. This book was interesting. It was more a question of absurdity and public pressure. ( )
  Rene.Rina | Jan 24, 2018 |
As usual, Appel's characters are always so unique and eccentric and I loved all of them.

The only thing I didn't quite like was how absurd it got in the middle/end. It went a little too crazy. ( )
  Anphan | Jan 17, 2018 |
I was asked to review this book by Librarything.com

The author has sent me other books which I will read and spend 2018 reviewing.

This is satire and good satire it is thought provoking and makes the reader think why we sometimes do things is it because society and our peers expects this or do we do certain things as personal choice.

The book is set around basically just that a chap who wants to do what he wants - his plants. Life is never what we expect - although I plan something just turns your world the other way.

It was funny and sad , but it does put life into perspective - again personally getting tied up in knots worrying does no good.

For the main character just deciding to sit when the American national anthem is played he gets more than he bargained for- the media whips this to a frenzy and he is forced to go on the run. Has he done something wrong? what would you do? can the media get things out of perspective?

Really entertaining - Thank you Jacob for letting me review this and giving me a batch of books for 2018. ( )
  mexico24 | Dec 10, 2017 |
Arnold Brinkman is a very liberal botanist who is unhappy at having to take his nephew to a Yankees baseball game. When a patriotic song is sung to honor fallen soldiers near the end (the story takes place in the near-post 9/11), he refuses to stand. As the scoreboard video spreads to the news he quickly becomes an object of scorn, but he makes matters so much worse when he refuses to apologize. Before he knows it, he's on the run from the police, the FBI, and a loud-mouthed reverend who has made Arnold his ticket to a run at the mayor's office.

Initially, I was rather turned off by Brinkman - not necessarily his politics (I can understand that to a degree), but just his attitudes - he's really a rather self-absorbed person. But Appel does a good job of making him a sympathetic character even if he's unlikable, and the writing is quite good. Some other reviewers have said they felt the story kind of goes off the rails toward the end, but even if it was rather unbelievable, that's when I became more drawn into the story. It's satire, but I actually enjoyed it. I look forward to more from Mr. Appel. (I rec'd a free electronic copy of this book from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for a review.) ( )
  J.Green | Dec 7, 2017 |
I won this book on a LibraryThing giveaway. This is a very easy read, maybe 1 hour from start to finish. It was not the worst book I have read but definitely not one of the better ones either. The plot was farcical more than satirical and none of the characters were likeable with the exception of the barely developed character of Judith, the wife. The timeline in this story is very loose and seems to have more than 7 days in a week a couple of times. The author also seems to imply that the main character didn’t stand up for the National Anthem at the beginning of the game when in the beginning of the story, it is the seventh inning stretch. For example, one character is giving a press interview and talking about the anthem.

I doubt I would bother reading anything else by this author. ( )
1 vote NixieH | Oct 26, 2017 |
One thing led to another.

Arnold Brinkman is a shy and retiring botanist; he loves his plants more than his country. But when his refusal to stand for the national anthem at a baseball game causes a major media incident, he is thrown into a world of pushy patriots, preachers, and press. And it's not going to get any easier when he refuses to apologize. A hilarious bullet into the heart of modern America, this novel mixes the literary sensibilities of Jonathan Franzen with the raucous satire of D.B.C. Pierre, and was the recipient of the Dundee International Book Prize.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,079,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible