Penelope by Anya Wylde

This book is laugh-out-loud FUNNY!!! I absolutely loved it. I hope the series will continue to be as good as this book! ( )
  caslater83 | Apr 23, 2017 |
This has to be the silliest historical romance I've read so far. Before I started reading this book, I checked the reviews, especially those with one-star rating. They hate Penelope, so a warning is in order: don't read this expecting it to be ordinary romance with a touch of humour. It isn't. Everything is exaggerated so much that one can't help but laugh. As soon as you accept the story as such, you'll have lots of fun.

We meet Miss Penelope Winifred Rose Spebbington Fairweather when she arrives at the Blackthorne Mansion. With her pet goat, Lady Bethsheba.
Penelope is like a small tornado. Everywhere she goes something out of the ordinary happens. I loved her the moment she started talking. If you need a wonderful, fun story with a great, naive and funny heroine, then read this book, just expect everything to be unbelievable and exaggerated. The way she met the Duke of Blackthorne was hilarious.
There, I warned you more than once. ( )
  Morana.Mora | Sep 22, 2013 |
This is my second of Ms. Wylde's books - I read The Wicked Wager a bit ago and truly enjoyed it. Penelope was just as much fun. These books are not to be taken seriously - they are farces and knowing that the reader just need go along for a very enjoyable ride. The characters here are delightful; we have Penelope herself, a poor girl from "the village" brought to Town for a season thanks to her dead mother's relationship with the Duke's mother. The Duke is all that is proper except when he dons his fake mustache (you will have to read the book to find out why he does that.) The Dowager Duchess knows just what she is doing by bringing such a free spirit into her household but she did not count on Lady Bathsheba - Penelope's pet goat.

Yes, you read that correctly, I wrote goat. Could this be any more delightful?

Penelope is tutored in all things ton related and she is launched into society to complete and utter....disaster. Will she ever find a husband? She can't go back home - her evil stepmother has told her she is not welcome any longer. What shall she do?

This book is light, frothy, silly fun! A delight to read and so very easy to just get lost in Penelope's slightly off center world. The main characters are quite well rounded - even Lady Bathsheba although I must comment that goats maaaa not baaaa - it's the goatherd in me. Sheep baaa. Other than that if you are looking for a page turning escape from the boredom of every day life you couldn't find a better place to run than into the utterly crazy world that hold Penelope at its center. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Apr 15, 2013 |

Leaving behind the rural charms of Finnshire, Miss Penelope Fairweather arrives in London with hope in her heart and a dream in her eye. The dowager, no less, has invited her for a season in London, where she will attempt to catch a husband.

Thus begins our heroine's tale as she attempts to tackle the London season with all her rustic finesse. Unfortunately, her rustic finesse turns out to be as delicate as a fat bear trying to rip apart a honeycomb infested with buzzing bees.

What follows is a series of misadventures, love affairs, moonlit balls, fancy clothes, fake moustaches, highwaymen, sneering beauties, pickpockets, and the wrath of a devilishly handsome duke.

[retrieved 2/2/2013 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,364,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible