Strawberry Yellow (A Mas Arai Mystery) by…

Strawberry Yellow (A Mas Arai Mystery)

by Naomi Hirahara

Series: Mas Arai (5)

Mas Arai, a Japanese-American gardener who survived Hiroshima, returns to Watsonville, California to attend his cousin Shug's funeral. Then a woman turns up dead, apparently poisoned, and Mas finds himself in the midst of a murder investigation. Some of the plot deals with strawberries and hybridization. I had a difficult time getting into this. I never connected with any of the individuals. Perhaps my difficulty stemmed from not reading earlier installments. Perhaps the choppy English spoken by the Japanese-Americans contributed as well. I almost abandoned this one several times, but I convinced myself the year is too young to abandon one. I'll pass on the rest of the series. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've read almost all of the Mas Arai mysteries and always enjoyed them. This one is no exception. I don't tend to read them for the mystery but for the examination of the Japanese American (and specifically the kibei) culture. The story itself is pretty leisurely, even though it's a short book, but the details of both the culture as well as the specific subject (in this case strawberries) are rich. Overall an enjoyable read. And if you haven't read the others in the series, I'd highly recommend them. ( )
  julko | Apr 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One reason I enjoy the series of Mas Arai mysteries is their contribution to the description of the cultural diversity of California through the mystery genre. Strawberry Yellow also highlights the contrasting attitudes between the different geographical locations of Watsonville and Los Angeles.
The death of a patriarch among a community of Japanese-American strawberry growers exposes loyalties and resentments harbored through the generations since World War II.
Mas Arai explores these personal entanglements and uncovers truths some may have preferred to have left hidden. ( )
  margitc | Apr 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read all of the Mas Arai mysteries so I was excited to receive this one. And--full disclosure--I do speak Japanese so the Japanese words were no problem for me.
I think that Strawberry Yellow is my favorite one so far. Hirahara has evolved nicely as a writer and this mystery felt tight, and also read very smoothly. You have to love Mas, who exemplifies all that is good in that first generation of Japanese-Americans. The strawberry-related plot was interesting, educational, and relevant. I had a little trouble keeping all the characters straight at first, but after reading this book I am excited about seeing what Mas gets into next. ( )
  hrabbit | Apr 4, 2013 |

Naomi Hiraharaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Inouye, AmyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the real Watsonville

Strawberry Yellow is set in the strawberry fields of Watsonville, California, where young Mas first arrived from Hiroshima in the 1940s. Now a retired gardener who lives in an L.A. suburb, he returns for the funeral of a cousin and quickly gets entangled in the murder of a young woman. Was his cousin murdered, too? Mas has to figure out what happened, keep himself safe in the face of considerable peril, and uncover the mystery of the Strawberry Yellow blight -- and a new strawberry varietal so important that it could be inspiring a murderer.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Naomi Hirahara's book Strawberry Yellow was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,855,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible