Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Mirrored Shard by Caitlin Kittredge

The Mirrored Shard

by Caitlin Kittredge

394292,072 (3)None

Oh this book was so disappointing. I loved the first two books and was eagerly awaiting the third and final installment but then when it arrived I couldn't believe how short it was. It's almost 200 pages less than the other two and frankly it feels like it's missing about 200 pages. I have been left feeling like Kittredge got bored with the series and simply stopped writing. She only wrapped up the Dean portion of the story and left the Old Ones portion completely wide open. So disappointing... ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
Good ending...but me thinks there will be another book. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 30, 2013 |
All hail, Aoife, Queen of the Bad Plan and Hasty Journey. In this series' mech-mysterious language of magic and machine, Aoife would be a dark perpetual motion machine, barreling onward with a seemingly terrible success rate. Miss, miss, miss, until by book's end, hit.

THE MIRRORED SHARD starts in a tricky place for a series. Many of Aoife's secrets are out (if not entirely understood), and she starts the story at the bottom of an emotional well. Or at least, I assumed she was at the bottom, but found she had to continue sliding for a few more chapters before digging her way out. My previous affection for this series hinged more on the world than the characters, which made the first few dramatic, character driven parts of the book pretty rough. By the time Aoife and Cal commandeered a zombie zeppelin, I was more than ready to park the drama and get on with the swashbuckling.
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
This is the third and final book in the Iron Codex series by Kittredge. While I absolutely loved the first two books in this series, I found this book to be somewhat disappointing. Not much is resolved and I felt like Kittredge was just going through the motions to finish this series. It is still beautifully written at points.

Aoife is determined to take on Death to win Dean back. To do so she must travel to the Deadlands. While there she must not only confront Death but she must also stop the Old Ones from entering the world and destroying it. In order to do all of this she must first leave her mother Nerissa in the Thorn Lands and escape the clutches of Tremaine.

This book felt a bit confused to me. You have this epic storyline about the Old Ones breaking into the world. It all suddenly gets pushed to a back story so that Aoife can selfishly obsess about getting Dean back.

This action stays true to Aoife’s tragic character, she seems to have a fatal flaw that involves saving those she loves at whatever cost...even if it is the destruction of the world. So suddenly Aoife is flitting around with her only goal being to find a way into the Deadlands to save Dean.

Then two thirds of the way through the story takes another drastic shift and Aoife is all like...oh hey maybe I am being too selfish...maybe I should deal with these Old Ones.

It’s a bit confusing because in the end the Dean storyline is resolved...but the Old Ones storyline is left wide open. It almost seems like Kittredge wrote half of the book and then decided...okay I’m all done with this series.

The writing is still eerily beautiful, as are the settings. Aoife is still a haunting heroine, and constantly finds herself falling from one horrible tragedy to the next. The world is incredibly creative and the surroundings are dark, eerie, and absolutely breathtaking.

This book has less of a steampunk feel to it than the previous ones. Aoife spends a good amount of time in the Thorn Land and Deadland, so the whole thing has more of a faerie tale bent to it.

I just didn’t find myself as drawn in to this book as the first two in the series. This installment just felt a bit half baked to me.

Overall an okay conclusion to this series. It feels rushed though and doesn’t wrap up the entire story. Aoife does grow up some as a character. The settings and world are eerie, creative, and beautiful. But by the end I didn’t care that much because I just found the story to be a bit unfocused and I had trouble engaging with the abrupt shifts in plot. I really did love the first two books in this series though. I do recommend reading this series if you are interested in a really creative steampunk YA series, just be prepared to a somewhat disappointing wrap up to the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 4, 2013 |

Aoife Grayson must face death to win back Dean—the love who was ripped from the Iron Lands of the living when he was shot in the arctic north. But getting to the Deadlands is something that Aoife can't do on her own. And if she can find a way there, Tremaine would surely never allow it. He has sworn to keep her in the Thorn Lands, the fairie home of her mother, Nerissa. But Aoife is determined to find her way out. And she has no trouble if that means she has to kill Tremain and his queen to do it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:45:42 -0400)

Aoife Grayson will do anything to make her way to the Deadlands and try to win back her love, Dean, who died helping her, even if that means killing Tremaine, who has vowed to keep her in the Thorn Lands, the faerie home of her mother Nerissa.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible