The Longest Night: A Passover Story by…

The Longest Night: A Passover Story (edition 2013)

by Laurel Snyder (Author), Catia Chien (Illustrator)

A child in Egypt tells what the Jews are experiencing in the days leading up to their flight from Egyptian slavery.
Member:MariaDemetriou
Title:The Longest Night: A Passover Story
Authors:Laurel Snyder (Author)
Other authors:Catia Chien (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2013), Edition: First Edition, 40 pages
Tags:religious stories picture book

The Longest Night: A Passover Story by Laurel Snyder

The Longest Night is a poem that tells of the plagues and the Jewish slaves in Egypt. I love the simple rhyming scheme but some of the phrases are a bit abstract because of the medium (poetry). The story of the Passover told as a poem is an interesting way to introduce Judaism to children. Not so much in the way of the religion's practices but their origin story. Set in ancient Egypt, before the coming of Moses, the Jewish were enslaved and all were treated poorly. These plagues were taken as curses or signs from God to the Pharaoh release them from slavery. I think this poem would have a greater impact if children had some background before reading it. ( )
  ilonon | Feb 15, 2017 |
In my opinion, this book was not the best. Although the illustrations were nice, the book was confusing. I am familiar with the story of the red sea, but I didn't realize that that was what the book was telling until the part where the see parted. Therefore, I think it may be confusing for a younger child to read the book and get a full understanding. Additionally, the writing didn't flow as well as it could have. Overall, I think that although this is a great story, it may leave children readers with little understanding of the story and some confusion. ( )
  vrobey1 | Oct 24, 2016 |
This book was very poetic. The language was very rhythmic and flowed well with some rhyming. I rated this book a 4 because I felt it has a strong message about the Jewish passover but it was quite difficult to understand even as an adult. An example of the rhyming language is on page one the author writes, "...morning with the light...came another day like night." This helps tell the story about passover while also using poetic language. The story would be better analyzed and read to the older elementary aged children (3rd-4th) because these children have more developed brains and can analyze poetic devices better than first or second graders. The message of this book shows the hardships Jewish people have faced and how sacred Passover is to them. The part of the book about the parting of the Red Sea is when I really started to understand the book and how much of an emotional book the author takes this as. I would recommend this book to teachers who are teaching about different religions or cultures to do with Judaism or poetry. There are many things to do with the book regarding lessons. ( )
  ahaver1 | Oct 18, 2016 |
This is the story of Passover and the 10 plagues. The story is told through a young girl, which adds to the story a lot. I think this book would teach students about Jewish traditions, as well as, I really enjoyed the way the book was written in two rhyming stanzas. I think younger children would enjoy reading it this way. I also liked the illustrations in the book. They were more like watercolors and I think it adds to the solemn mood during the hard times for the young girl. I do think this book might be difficult for children to understand, unless they are already familiar with the tradition. I, as an adult, was confused with some of the content and had to reread the book multiple times, so I do not see children being able to understand. ( )
  sparra2 | Oct 18, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book due its language and its emotional illustrations. This book dove into emotions of happiness, sadness, and suspense. It was portrayed through illustrations that had a great amount of motion that showed the life and trips that these characters had to do during Passover. The illustrations included pictures of the crisis in which the slaves were forced to work, when the fleas attacked the people, and when the people were finally free. The colors were first very dark, especially during the time of crisis, and then very bright when they were finally free after the sea “ripped in two”. The language in this book was also very powerful to portray the emotional plot of this Passover story. The author used descriptive adjectives and verbs to describe the crisis when the “river bloomed and bled” and when the “itching, biting, awful fleas” attacked the town such as “like their beasts, our masters fell” and “boils and blisters, searing pain”. All of these phrases are incredibly powerful and are very useful to describing the plot and emotions of the Passover. ( )
  tvance2 | Sep 27, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,527,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible