Unleashed by David Rosenfelt

I took a break from this series for a few years. It was fun to get back to it after a break that turned out to be six years. (oops). I've always enjoyed Andy Carpenter. He's kind of lazy and since he's now independently wealthy doesn't really have to work as a defense attorney but he keeps getting drawn into cases. He's always butting heads with the judges because to say he has an unconventional approach in the courtroom would be an understatement.

I also enjoy the quirky cast of regulars who work with Andy and are his friends.

This time around he gets involved in defending a woman accused of the murder of her husband. There's also a secondary plot involving terrorists.

I knew that the two would eventually meet up but Rosenfelt takes a circuitous route to that. The chapters involving Andy are told by him in the first person and the chapters telling the story he isn't aware of are told in third person.

It's a fun mystery series with fun characters and Andy's dog Tara - the best dog in the world. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Feb 11, 2019 |
Lawyer, Andy Carpenter does not want to work. He does not have to work. But, every once in a while he reluctantly gets drawn into a case. When Andy’s accountant and friend Sam Willis received a call from Barry, a high school friend (who just happened to marry Sam’s crush) Sam agreed to talk to Andy about taking his case. Barry ended up mysteriously dead, Sam narrowly escaped death and it seems like everyone who knows anything is dropping dead too. This was too tempting for Andy to ignore so he and his team of legal “misfits” are once again on the case.

Are these books cookie-cutter? Definitely. But I love them. Don’t judge me! They are one of my guilty pleasures. When a new one comes out I like to sit down on a Sunday afternoon and spend some time in Andy’s world.

Having recently read “Dogtripping”, Mr. Rosenfelt’s non-fiction adventure in transporting his 25 dogs cross country, I could not help but notice that Andy and he share the same sarcastic, self-deprecating sense of humor. Interesting!
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This is book #11 of the stand-up comedy/mystery/dog-related legal procedural series featuring lawyer Andy Carpenter and his golden retriever Tara.

Andy hates to work and has enough inherited wealth to avoid it, but somehow cases keep falling into his lap. In this instance, his computer expert Sam asks Andy if he would take a case from Barry Price, the guy who married Sam’s high school sweetheart Denise. Andy says “I’m retired.” But the next day, Price is dead, Denise is arrested, and now Sam begs Andy to help Denise. Against Andy’s better judgment, he finds himself interested and agrees to represent her. The only problem is, everyone he wants to interview about the case ends up dead.

But Andy has some aces in his pocket, including his girlfriend, Laurie, who is an ex-cop, and a group of eager and talented computer hackers who have been taking an IT class with Sam. These aren’t your average computer geeks: as Andy explains, the youngest among them is probably eighty. But they are smart, persistent, and besides, they bake treats.

Before long, even the FBI gets involved. Andy, with his witty repartee disguising a razor-like legal mind, figures out what’s really going on, which is of course nothing like what it initially appeared to be.

Evaluation: This book (which can be read as a standalone) is not quite as funny as some of the others in the series, but it’s still plenty amusing and entertaining. It’s just the thing if you’re looking for a lighter crime novel. ( )
  nbmars | Dec 17, 2014 |
If you've read any of the previous books in this series, disregard this review & just get it, ok? Or you probably already have. You know what to expect: a clever, intricately plotted legal thriller infused with well written, oddball characters spouting hilarious dialogue.
In this outing, Andy Carpenter's friend & accountant Sam Willis asks him to get off the couch & meet with an old high school classmate of Sam's. Barry Price is now an uber-successful businessman who may be in need of defence counsel. Unfortunately, before they can set it up, Barry is dead in a plane crash. But an investigation reveals the plane had nothing to do with Barry's death.
At the same time, in alternating chapters, we read about a shadowy group gathering & spreading out across the States. We're not sure what they're up to but it's probably bad. Further reading confirms this...in fact, verrry bad.
Andy does rouse himself to actually take on a case but his client turns out to be Denise, Barry's widow, who has been charged with murdering her husband. Bit by bit, the author merges these two stories as the plot becomes so much bigger than just the death of one man. As the legal team begins digging, it becomes clear there's a larger threat & the bodies start piling up.
And, happily for us, that legal team is comprised of all our old favourites. There's Edna, the "office manager" who deigns to show up once a week to call all her family members; Hike, the brilliant legal scholar (and hypochondriac) who acts as co-counsel when not afflicted with some exotic pathogen; Marcus, whose job is to scare people, when not eating; Sam, invaluable for his mad cyber skills & leader of a bunch of Jewish octogenarian hackers; and Laurie, a former cop turned PI who happens to be the love of Andy's life. Actually, she shares that position with Tara, Andy's rescued golden retriever who offers support with her keen legal mind & ability to scarf biscuits.
I'm not going to reveal any more of the plot. It's smart & complex and part of the fun in these books is the journey, not just the destination. Suffice to say there are red herrings & surprising twists to keep your attention.
Rosenfelt consistently delivers books that are a rare combination of clever plots & laugh out loud humour. One is never sacrificed for the other. The returning characters are so well written, fully realized people you wish you could hang out with. Even the cranky ones.....well, maybe not Edna. Andy comes across as a basically lazy, semi-wiseass who'd like nothing better than to devote all his time to his two girls. But once his interest is roused, he becomes the sharp, wicked smart lawyer who will fight to the end for someone he believes is innocent.
Once you start, you won't want to put it down...not just so you can find out who-done-it but because it's so damn entertaining. Edge of your seat with giggles. It moves along at a brisk pace, ending all too soon & then you can sit back & join the rest of us who are waiting for the next book in this great series. ( )
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
Unleashed by David Rosenfelt is the second book that I have read by him. I read Dog Tags and really enjoyed it although it seemed to have a slow start. This time, I was hooked into the story quickly because I felt at home with the main character, Andy Carpenter, a semi-retired attorney. I didn’t like the beginning so much because it was late into the book that I could finally connect it to the story. I think that the story really starts on page five.

Andy’s accountant and friend, Sam Willis gets a request for help from his old friend Barry Price who he hadn’t seen for long time. Sam was supposed to be on flight with Barry. He was on his way when he heard a bump. He got to investigate and found an injured old golden retriever. He takes the dog to the vet. Adopting him and calling him Crash. He also thinks of Crash as being his lucky dog. But the plane crashed, he missed the flight that night and survived. That was the beginning of a long chain of events that Andy had to untangle with help of his friends, Laurie, Sam, Hike (a constantly depressed attorney) and the unforgettable Marcus with a huge body and limited vocabulary. Andy even has to notify and work with the F.B.I. because of the enormous threat to the country. This is just the beginning, the story gets much more complex.

David Rosenfelt writes with sly humor and employs big twists that I did not see coming. As the story went on, the more intriguing it became and the more you wanted to stay up burning your energy saving light bulbs.

I highly recommend this mystery to everyone who loves a mystery with great characters and no gore.

I received this book as a win from FirstReads but that did not in any way influence the thoughts in my review. ( )
  Carolee888 | Aug 7, 2013 |

Sam Willis is stunned to receive a phone call from Barry Price, a high school friend he hasn’t spoken to in years, pleading for help with something too terrifying to discuss on the phone. Barry needs Sam’s financial acumen and Sam’s friend Andy Carpenter’s legal expertise—and he needs them immediately. But when Sam almost runs over an injured dog lying in the road on the way to Barry’s house, he can’t drive off without waiting for help to arrive. By the time Sam makes it, Barry’s already on an airplane headed who-knows-where, and Sam and Andy assume their help is no longer needed. Until they see on the news that Barry’s plane has crashed, and they realize that Sam was also supposed to have been killed on that plane. Barry was in far more serious trouble than either of them knew, and for Sam and Andy, the trouble is only beginning.

When Barry Price, an old high school friend, contacts Sam Willis with a desperate plea for help but later dies in the crash of a private plane, Sam and Andy Carpenter reach the terrifying realization that Sam was also intended to be a victim of the crash.… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,642,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible