Innocence by Dean Koontz

by Dean Koontz

English (34)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
A book that promises much but ends up flat. Some great writing but the plot and ending leaves one credulous. ( )
  charlie68 | Nov 21, 2015 |
This book started out so very strongly. The book starts out telling the tale of a man who hides away in the city he lives in dark corners, never allowing anyone to see him. More than once he mentions the irrational hatred that anyone who sees him feels, and yet holds back from describing whatever the monstrous feature is.

I was swept up in that, wondering what it could be that set him apart and made him carry himself as the Elephant Man. His simplicity and kindness, while unrealistic, was forgivable when coupled with the other features of his personality that added depth. He was a stereotype, a flat trope of a character that I was happy to accept in exchange for what I hoped would be a worthwhile plot.

It was not.

The ending was quite the let down. I expected something more than the dark evil vs too brilliant good, but I was disappointed. This book was honestly better than I thought until it was significantly worse, and that was a roller coaster ride I walk away from unfulfilled. ( )
  Hexum2600 | Nov 18, 2015 |
  Bookman1954 | Oct 21, 2015 |
Addison Goodheart spent his whole life believing he was a monstrosity so horrible that the mere sight of his eyes sent people into such a rage of fear that they were immediately possessed of the notion they had to kill him. Even his own mother, although she did her best for 8 years, eventually felt the need to send him away. Finding his way to the city, happenstance led him to meet another in the same circumstance and the new “father” and son lived hidden away under the city for years. After his “father’s” death Addison ventured out alone one night and came across Gwyneth, also a loner with her own need to hide herself away from humanity. An unlikely and unforeseen friendship developed because they would “hold each other hostage to their eccentricities … they were made for each other”.

Addison immediately and unexplainably feels a need to help Gwyneth, who is quite obviously in some sort of terrible trouble. Neither Addison nor the reader knows just how much trouble they are about to encounter on a dark and snowy night in the non-too-distant future.

This book was not unlike others I have read by Mr. Koontz but I feel it’s his best effort in a long time. Innocence is a beautifully written book. Although this book is definitely a thriller, very much in the vein of Tick Tock, Mr. Koontz manages to paint lovely word pictures in the readers mind. At first it seems as if descriptive passages were just a little too long, but as I continued reading and began to understand that these descriptions were an integral part of Addison’s thinking I could enjoy them as really lovely writing. Addison, as the narrator, never really shares the specifics of place and time leaving much of that part of the setting up to the imagination of the reader. That seemed to work for this story.

Personally, I found this a very dark and, for lack of a better word, spiritual book. Both those elements fit in well with the story told and although I found the ending satisfying it also felt just the tiniest bit “preachy”. Maybe that was on purpose? After all, even Addison compares his story to a fable.

I enjoyed this book. Although their paths certainly do not cross, except in my imagination, I think Addison Goodheart and Odd Thomas would make fine friends.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
An engaging novel reminiscent of other Koontz works. Our butt-ugly hero meets socially retarded heroine--they fall in love. The story mostly humms along until the end when it gets interesting. As other reviewers have noted, our hero would like Odd Thomas, one of Koontz' other heroes. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 6, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to Harry Recard for being a friend, for teaching me pinochle in college and thereby ruining my academic career. And to Diane Recard for taking such good care of Harry all these years, an exhausting task.
Having escaped one fire, I expected another.

He lives in solitude beneath the city, an exile from society, which will destroy him if he is ever seen.

She dwells in seclusion, a fugitive from enemies who will do her harm if she is ever found.

But the bond between them runs deeper than the tragedies that have scarred their lives. Something more than chance—and nothing less than destiny—has brought them together in a world whose hour of reckoning is fast approaching.

Foraging for supplies by night in a beautiful but hostile urban world where strangers would kill him on sight, Addison endures a solitary existence before meeting a quicksilver girl engaged in a dangerous duel of wits with a malicious, well-placed enemy.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Innocence by Dean Koontz was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible