Innocence by Dean Koontz

Innocence

by Dean Koontz

Innocence is one of those books where the whole is feel less than the sum of its parts. The main characters were quite interesting and the premise of the story was appealing. As a matter of fact, there really isn't anything wrong with the story other than it had far more potential than it actually realized. Koontz is a skilled writer and I feel like Innocence could have been much more than it was. But the pacing was very slow in the first half and stuffed far too many reveal in the last one hundred pages. As it stands, Innocence is an interesting story. However, I almost want Koontz to get a do-over because of what might have been. ( )
  csayban | Jul 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This review is based on an ARC.

I was not as disappointed in this latest novel as I have been with some of Koontz latest works.

I basically grew up reading Koontz' works, I found the author in my late teens and fell in love with his writing style. The good versus evil of the human spirit. He has grown as an author and I am very happy for him that he has grown in his own life. Unfortunately this growing as an author and as a person has effected what I loved about the early works, his style has changed and although he still makes me think deeper thoughts than most other authors, his books have become a litany of preaching. If I wanted to be preached to I would go to church.

The story is told from Addison's point of view. A person who is so horrible of visage that he has to live in the shadows, in solitude, by the dark of night. In his nightly wanderings, he comes upon girl being chased by a man. Seeing in her, somehow, a kindred spirit, he puts himself on the line and communicates with her. As the story unfolds, we learn things about Addison and his new found friend and the man that was chasing her. We learn about the horrible-ness of humanity and the powers of light and hope outside of it.

Although I like the aspects of Koontz' characters that are more than human, I feel he has lost all hope in the human race and now the characters have to be more than human to survive his worlds. ( )
  TwilightBlue | Jul 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was very different from Koontz's other books. The last few years he has really crammed a lot of proselytizing within his stories, which I really don't enjoy, and this book is no exception. ( )
  sunqueen | Jun 27, 2014 |
I continue to be amazed and disappointed in Koontz's newest books. Like Breathless, this book is lyrical and crammed with philosophy and theology. Also like Breathless, this book is a huge disappointment.

Koontz is lyrical and thoughtful and now builds half-fantastic characters. His stories while initially compelling fall apart near the middle and then the endings that are supposed to be "mind blowing" are...weak, metaphysical cop-outs that make me want to hurl the book into the nearest trash can.

This reads like a Beauty and the Beast story...and it sort of is, in a weirdly twisted way that could have TOTALLY made a fantastic book. Alas, Koontz had to ruin it with his choice of endings. Similar to my annoyance with Breathless, Koontz jumps the shark right at the end.

The last part of this book that nails a two-star review on it's coffin...the lack of direction and plot. There's a lot of talking and back story and action and obfuscation...but no point to any of it. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 10, 2014 |
I liked this book about two lonely people who find each other. One lives underground and hides his face, the other lives in hiding provided by her father but can't be touched. They eventually find peace in a hidden cabin where they bring other outcasts like themselves. This another weird tale from Dean Koontz, but not one his best but still fun to read. ( )
  Coltfan18 | May 29, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to Harry Recard for being a friend, for teaching me pinochle in college and thereby ruining my academic career. And to Diane Recard for taking such good care of Harry all these years, an exhausting task.
Having escaped one fire, I expected another.

He lives in solitude beneath the city, an exile from society, which will destroy him if he is ever seen.

She dwells in seclusion, a fugitive from enemies who will do her harm if she is ever found.

But the bond between them runs deeper than the tragedies that have scarred their lives. Something more than chance—and nothing less than destiny—has brought them together in a world whose hour of reckoning is fast approaching.

Foraging for supplies by night in a beautiful but hostile urban world where strangers would kill him on sight, Addison endures a solitary existence before meeting a quicksilver girl engaged in a dangerous duel of wits with a malicious, well-placed enemy.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Innocence by Dean Koontz was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,461,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible