Innocence by Dean Koontz

Innocence

by Dean Koontz

English (38)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Addison Goodheart's deformed appearance has isolated him from "regular people", leaving him to live in the shadows. However, he can see the truth behind "reality's complex dimensions." When he encounters the Goth heiress Gwyneth in an empty, opulent library, she shows him how to embrace aloneness and life. Together, they set out to proof the death of Gwyneth's father to be murder, not accidental. While the set up may invoke Beauty and the Beast, Koontz's tale is much darker and intense. Koontz explores love, loss, morality, and the evil inherent in mankind -- with a surprisingly hopeful ending.
  ktoonen | May 15, 2016 |
Christopher Lane
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

What happened to Dean Koontz. Does he like Ann Rule have someone else write his books?

Back when I was a teen the day that King or Koontz books were published translated into Dutch cause I did not read English back then) I would buy and devour them.
I have been such a big fan of both readers but alas I have to say Dean Koontz is really lacking lately.

What was the name of his not so old book, quite recent about a house? ah .. 77 Shadow Street, that was so terrible and alas this is the same.

Terrible because of the grandiose use of words for one.

Noticing that I was just skipping all his descriptions and there are countless of them and I am not a skipper ;).

Okay found one among hundreds and I will type it. ugh.

"The globes atop the ornate iron lampposts glowed liked illumined pearls,and flecks of mica in the fired clay of the bricks sparkled underfoot as I walked away from the antique-toy store and north past other shops that offered windows displays in which every item remained reliably inanimate"

Like with 77 Shadow Street the book is filled with unnecessary words. It feels like he wants to be recognized as a literary writer or something.

Then yet again the main characters are so ridiculously perfect I cannot stand it anymore.
How I managed to read this book I do not know.
You know it saddens me but when i checked amazon and there are many raving reviews as there are many people who hate it like do, so I do not have to feel sorry for him.
I wish he wrote books like he did back in the day. books like Intensity. Really scary books where the main characters were normal people and were set in a dangerous situation. There were no talking dogs and too many words.

Dean come back!! Where are you???

Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Too many long-winded details This could have been a much better book. I enjoyed it but the descriptions were way too long and detailed. It took me days longer than it should have to get through this book because the details really bogged me down. I found many of the details unnecessary and sort of boring.

I like Koontz and have enjoyed his books for years (some more than others). I never know exactly what to expect from him. This book was disappointing. I was very curious about the secret the main character was hiding and enjoyed the final reveal. The secret was something I didn't expect and that was cool. All in all, the book was okay. If you like Koontz, give it a try. It was worth the 5 days. :) ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
A book that promises much but ends up flat. Some great writing but the plot and ending leaves one credulous. ( )
  charlie68 | Nov 21, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to Harry Recard for being a friend, for teaching me pinochle in college and thereby ruining my academic career. And to Diane Recard for taking such good care of Harry all these years, an exhausting task.
Having escaped one fire, I expected another.

He lives in solitude beneath the city, an exile from society, which will destroy him if he is ever seen.

She dwells in seclusion, a fugitive from enemies who will do her harm if she is ever found.

But the bond between them runs deeper than the tragedies that have scarred their lives. Something more than chance—and nothing less than destiny—has brought them together in a world whose hour of reckoning is fast approaching.

Foraging for supplies by night in a beautiful but hostile urban world where strangers would kill him on sight, Addison endures a solitary existence before meeting a quicksilver girl engaged in a dangerous duel of wits with a malicious, well-placed enemy.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Innocence by Dean Koontz was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,802,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible