Siirros by Hugh Howey

Siirros (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Hugh Howey, Einari Aaltonen (KääNt.)

In 2007, the Center for Automation in Nanobiotech (CAN) outlined the hardware and software platform that would one day allow robots smaller than human cells to make medical diagnoses, conduct repairs, and even self-propagate. In the same year, the CBS network re-aired a program about the effects of propranolol on sufferers of extreme trauma. A simple pill, it had been discovered, could wipe out the memory of any traumatic event. At almost the same moment in humanity's broad history, mankind had discovered the means for bringing about its utter downfall. And the ability to forget it ever happened. This is the sequel to the New York Times bestselling WOOL series.… (more)
Member:pva
Title:Siirros
Authors:Hugh Howey
Other authors:Einari Aaltonen (KääNt.)
Info:Helsinki : Like, 2014
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Shift by Hugh Howey (2013)

English (76)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (79)
I loved Wool and I was really looking forward to reading Shift. I was a bit disappointed. The Donald-parts didn't grab me, even though it was good to know how things came to be. I would give those parts 3,5 stars. The rest was every bit as good as Wool, compulsive reading, needing to know what would happen next, some really thrilling parts, I would easily give those 4,5 stars. So an average of 4 stars from me. I will definitely read Dust, I'm very curious to know how it will all end. ( )
  Vonini | Sep 25, 2019 |
The Shift Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey is a trilogy that is a sequel to his bestselling Wool. I read and loved Wool and was excited to finally be reading these next books. Unfortunately, I really didn’t care for Shift at all. The time sequences were are jumbled around and just when the reader would get to a good part, wham, the story shifted to another time. This took me totally out of the story and after a number of these time shifts, I really didn’t care anymore about any of the characters or the stories they were telling.

This three volume book is over 600 pages and believe me I felt as trapped as the residents of the various Silos. The characters were lame and dreary, the plot had huge holes, and it was painfully obvious when the author liked a phrase as he would then repeat it over and over. Why did I finish this? Well, I kept hoping that something would pull the various story lines together and give me some kind of semblance to the original story. This never happened and now I feel that spending so much time on this was a complete waste of time.

I also have this author’s Dust on my shelves which would once more place me into this claustrophobic world of the silos but, at this point I am not sure if I will bother to read it. What started out with such great promise with Wool really went downhill with Shift and this book has been my biggest disappointment so far this year. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 13, 2019 |
rating 3,5/5

While the writing and characterisation were as good as in the first omnibus, this second opus hit right on one of my pet peeves: a very, very long return in the past. I wanted the plot started in the first book to go on! And while the backstory was interesting, while the first book wouldn't have the same savour if I had known all that is in Shift, it slowed down the plot. IMHO, Jimmy's story belonged to a companion novella. We had enough material in Wool to characterise him.. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
This is book two in the Wool Trilogy. This book takes us back in time to the year 2039 when the silos first became an idea. The main charater - Donald - is a senator who has been brought on the project to help build the silo. He was an architect before we ran for government office, so he is to design something that can go underground for over 100 floors. He spends months and months profecting the design. When it is finally put into place, he finds out that it wasn't just for one silo, but for 50. And that instead of them being used "in case", they would be used to save the human race.

The book starts to jump forward a century at a time. People who were placed in the silo in 2039 are being woken for 6 month shifts to keep the silos running. Donald is awake and starting a shift, but his memory has been wiped and he thinks he is a man named Troy. He is given a daily pill to keep his memories at bay, but as he starts to refuse the pills, he starts to remember who he was and what happened. Each time he is awake, he remembers more and tries to solve the mysteries of why the silos exist, what happened to his wife, and what is happening in the other silos.

I liked this book as much as the first. It opened the world and gave us an insight on how it all began and who is running the silos. We learn the reason they were put into place and see how they evolved to where they were during the first book in the year 2300. We also get to see how Jimmy (aka Solo) started alone at the age of 16 until he was found by Juliette.

I encourage you to read this series. I am looking forward to reading book 3 ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I read Wool and LOVED it and got hooked to this series. After finishing Wool, I couldn't wait to find out what happened next so I started Shift. Although I enjoyed Shift, I didn't like it as much as Wool. The epilogue did give me goosebumps and is enough as a cliffhanger/teaser that I'll probably be reading Dust in the next couple of books.

I enjoyed how this book answered some hanging questions from Wool and finding out the story of how things got to be the way that are in Wool. There were a lot of moments where I was like... "Ahh, ok... now I get it". My complaint is that some of the parts seemed to drag on and I got a bit bored and it was easy for me to put the book down. Luckily there were too many parts like that. ( )
  CharleyBethH | Aug 23, 2018 |

Hugh Howeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all those who find themselves well and truly alone.
IN 2007, THE Center for Automation in Nanobiotech (CAN) outlined the hardware and software platforms that would one day allow robots smaller than human cells to make medical diagnoses, conduct repairs and even self-propagate.
Troy returned to the living and found himself inside of a tomb.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,734,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible