Kiss of Heat (Feline Breeds, Book 3) by Lora…

Kiss of Heat (Feline Breeds, Book 3) (edition 2005)

by Lora Leigh

359None30,122 (4.04)1
Member:kferry
Title:Kiss of Heat (Feline Breeds, Book 3)
Authors:Lora Leigh
Info:Ellora's Cave Publishing Inc. (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***

Kiss of Heat by Lora Leigh

Worth reading between other books when I need a change of pace. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
Kiss of Heat
4 Stars

Synopsis:
After spending a decade believing each other dead, Kane Tyler and Sherra Callahan are finally reunited. Nevertheless, the devastating events of the past have turned them against each other and they must put aside their differences in order to heal the wounds that threaten to tear them asunder.

Review:
Definitely lived up to my expectations. This was the book I was most looking forward to since beginning the series and I was not disappointed.

Kane and Sherra are extremely likeable characters and have an intense chemistry. Moreover, their tragic past contributes to the reader’s emotional involvement in the story. Kane is a supreme alpha even though he is not one of the Breed. I found his constant pissing contests with Taber amusing and his affection for Cassie endearing. Sherra is emotionally scarred and while I understand that she needed time to trust again, I could not fully accept her hostility and her stubborn and continued rejection of Kane once she realized that he never abandoned her. It also took her far too long to realize that she could not protect him from the unknown consequences of their mating. After all, the author emphasizes over and over that nature is all powerful and will always find a way.

Leigh’s writing is smooth and her dialogue engaging. The sex scenes were somewhat overdone and repetitious, and did not really contribute to either characterization or plot but they were definitely fun ;).

My one final nitpick pertains to all the Breed books so far and that is the lack of detail concerning the time the various characters spent at the Council labs. More information about how Kane and Sherra met and came together would have made their emotional and internal struggles even more engrossing.

Overall, an entertaining read and a sweet ending that makes it all worthwhile. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
Another very good story about the Feline Breeds and the troubles they are going through to establish there rightful place in society. I waited so patiently for Kane and Sherra's story. They caught my attention and held with every tiny glimpse Ms. Leigh gave us in the earlier books. Sherra was so stubborn and foolish to keep fighting Kane. She was hurting both of him thinking she could save Kane from the pain she had felt for eight years. I love how Kane gives all the Breeds a hard time and how he spoils Cassie. He had to be all right if he can feel so much emotion for a little girl that isn't his own. Of course Cassie has everyone's heart because she is special in ways no one really understands. Ms. Leigh has fed us just enough of her to keep us interested and guessing about her true potential. Jonas shows up for the first time in this story. He is giving Kane a hard time after an explosion in the caves on the Breed Compound. He is just a soldier at this point but you can see he is a smart ass. This is also the first time Jackal shows up.

We also learn of the budding relationship between Dawn and Seth Lawrence. I know that it gets sidelined at one point and comes back in Dawn's Awakening. I am now looking forward to re-reading that book since I had forgotten so much of the base story when I first read the book. This continues to be a very good series of books and I think most people will enjoy reading them. They read very quickly and leave you wanting more of the characters that are in each story. I am off to read the next book in the correct timeline. Happy Reading. ( )
  LadyIsis | Jun 5, 2012 |
Now that I've read four of Lora Leigh's books, I've come to the conclusion that in order to truly enjoy them, one has to leave their brain at the door and not think about the plots too much. Unfortunately, being the cerebral person that I am, that can be very difficult, and I end up finding annoying discrepancies and worse yet, huge plot holes. The author gave just enough backstory on Kane and Sherra in the two previous Feline Breeds books, Tempting the Beast and The Man Within, to really whet my appetite for more. I desperately wanted to know exactly how it was that Kane and Sherra met while she was in the lab, and why she was able to accept him as her lover (and mate) after the traumatic experience of numerous rapes. I also wanted to know how it was that Kane escaped and why he wasn't able to take Sherra with him when he did, but alas, my questions were not to be answered by reading Kiss of Heat. In fact, I didn't really learn anything new about Kane and Sherra that hadn't already been told in the previous novels. I even wondered if I was forgetting some details and went back to skim those two books to no avail, so I guess I was meant to simply accept their relationship for what it was and leave it at that, which as I've already mentioned, is easier said than done. For some reason, Lora Leigh decided to begin Kiss of Heat with a prologue that was basically a re-written and expanded version of a scene straight out of Tempting the Beast when I thought it would have been more effective to take readers back even further to Kane and Sherra's meeting in the lab.

Even though, I badly wanted more character development for Kane and Sherra, they were still fairly likable characters. I can't say that I had been drawn to Kane very much in the previous books, because he was portrayed as an extreme alpha who was every bit as dominant as some of the Breed men, and he started this book with that same intense personality. At first, he was still a bit too much for me to take, but as the story progressed, he slowly started to lighten up. When he showed some vulnerability over Sherra's inability to open her heart to him again, and then at the end, when he was literally brought to his knees by his love for her, I couldn't help but like him to some extent. I deeply sympathized with Sherra over the torture she experienced in the Breed laboratories years ago (although exactly how many years ago is highly in question as it was seven in Tempting the Beast and eleven in Kiss of Heat). I understood why she initially fought her desire for Kane even though she was in the throes of a painful mating heat. She was simply trying to protect her heart from being broken again and was also trying to protect Kane since no one knew how a man would react to the Breed mating hormone. Still, I felt that Ms. Leigh could have expressed the emotional impact on both of these characters a little more deeply. As written, I felt like she was telling more than showing, so I never fully connected with Kane and Sherra in the way I had hoped.

Although I realize it's a Lora Leigh trademark, the fact that Kane and Sherra spent a lot of time sniping at and arguing with each other didn't help matters for me, and it wasn't just the hero and heroine who were engaging in this type of behavior either. Nearly everyone in the book, even the women, seemed constantly angry, with someone grunting, growling, yelling, snarling or participating in general alpha posturing every couple of paragraphs. I could definitely see how someone could get completely smashed if they played a drinking game while reading this book, and quite frankly it might have been more enjoyable that way.;-) I also couldn't help but roll my eyes at the idea of the hero walking around aroused nearly 24/7. I know it was the mating hormone causing it, but I couldn't stop myself from thinking about how with him being a normal human male, this would constitute a major medical issue. Not to mention, he didn't seem all that concerned about hiding it either. The happy little event at the end was just a bit too easy and convenient for my taste too.

With Kiss of Heat being primarily about Sherra going through the mating heat and trying to come to terms with Kane being back in her life and her permanent mate, lots of steamy love scenes were definitely expected and in that respect, I wasn't disappointed. Lora Leigh certainly knows how to write blistering hot love scenes that are sure to leave the reader in need of a cold shower or ready to “attack” their own mate, and this book was no exception. These parts helped to make the story more enjoyable and were a little sweet treat for my mind. However, with the previous books in the series, the red hot lovin' turned my brain sufficiently mushy enough to almost forget some of the other story weaknesses, but in this case, I think there were a few too many deficiencies for mere steam to overcome. I just found myself thinking about all missing pieces and questions I had that weren't being answered, rather than enjoying the heat.

Time line wise, Kiss of Heat takes place immediately following The Man Within, and simultaneously with the latter part of Elizabeth's Wolf. As such, the Breeds are still fighting against threats and attacks from outsiders at their compound and Cassie, the little Wolf Breed girl from Elizabeth's Wolf, is involved in the story. She is pretty much the same as before, but I have to say that I'm still slightly off-put by her occasionally manipulative nature. Callan and Merinus (Tempting the Beast) and Taber and Roni (The Man Within) also play significant roles, as do some of the characters who will get their own books in the future: Tanner (Tanner's Scheme), Mercury (Mercury's War), Cabal (Bengal's Heart), and Jonas (Lion's Heat). The latter two were introduced in this book, and Dawn and Seth (Dawn's Awakening) had their first scenes together. I'm intrigued by this pairing, but considering that Dawn experienced something similar to, if not worse than Sherra did in the labs, I felt like Seth's overtly sexual overtures toward Dawn were a little bit much. Still, I've heard that their book is one of the best in the series, so I'm looking forward to eventually reading it and hope that it has better character and plot development than Kiss of Heat did.

In spite of my frustrations with it, Kiss of Heat was a worthwhile read, but it left me with a half-full feeling, like the whole story simply wasn't told. Anyone who can shut their brain off long enough to overlook that will probably enjoy it much more than I did. Even though this was probably my least favorite book in the Breed series that I've read to date, I'm sure I'll continue on. The whole Breed concept is an intriguing, albeit rather underdeveloped one at this point, but if nothing else, I'll know that there'll be some “hot sex” to console me in the event of a disappointing plot.

Note: For the most part, the sexual content reads much like a super-steamy mainstream romance, but there is one brief moment of anal play with fingers. There is also a scene in which two characters (not the hero or heroine) are caught in the aftermath of a menage a trois. ( )
  mom2lnb | Jan 29, 2012 |
I adore Lora Leigh's Breeds! Not intellectually stimulating, but that's the only thing that isn't stimulated! ( )
  vmcclintock | Dec 11, 2007 |
For Sondrea and Terry. For hours of Internet tech support and for understanding just how computer dumb I could be. And as always, thank you for the friendship.
Sherra stood silently in the shadows of the motel, watching carefully, her eyes narrowed as the nine men parted company and went to their respective rooms.

They've waited a decade to come together. Long years filled with unbearable pain, and soul-wrenching torment that have changed them both. Left wounds that have laid their souls bare. Wounds that stand one chance of healing — if only they could stop fighting each other long enough for the truth to work its healing balm.

Kane, a relentless warrior, lost more than his heart to Sherra in a night of mating passion that marked them both for life. But news of her death ripped his soul apart. For years he has fought to avenge the death of the woman he loved more than his own life, by revealing the deceit and cruelty of the Council that created the Breeds.

But Sherra didn't die. In a cruel and evil twist she was convinced by her sadistic handlers that the man she had given her body, heart and soul to had betrayed not only her, but the child she carried — and lost.

Amid the rapidly escalating violence against the Feline Breeds, Kane and Sherra learn that there's more to mating than just the "heat", just as there's more to love than just the sex…

Kane lost his heart to Sherra and news of her death ripped his heart apart. But Sherra didn't die. Her sadistic handlers have convinced her she was betrayed by Kane. As the deceit and cruelty of the Council that created the breeds escalates, Kane and Sherra learn that there is more to mating than just the "heat."--Publisher's description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible