Bowling Alley Bandit by Laurie Keller

AS fond as I am of Keller's picture books, and the original [b:Arnie the Doughnut|1128849|Arnie the Doughnut|Laurie Keller|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1317064139s/1128849.jpg|1116029], this never quite worked for me. The jokes are corny, which is fine. But the story felt kind of all over the place. Tash only read a couple of pages before putting it down herself. It's hard to do early readers with engaging characters on a limited vocabulary. So, I hope Keller finds the magic and can produce books for this age. But this Arnie just gets a "meh."

And why is there only one female character in the whole thing?

Library copy. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Outright silliness breaks out on the lanes! Even adults will enjoy the humor when sharing with kids. The author must be a bowler or she did her research; the bowling references and illustrations are basically spot on. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Does Arnie the Doughnut really have exactly 135 sprinkles? I want to see a book about Lemon Lanes Robot League! What is that lady on the first page of chapter five drawing? I can go onto the details of this book, or I can just enjoy the story and the teeny toot during Mr Bing's four step approach. The simple story employs some well placed randomness, fun drawings to look more closey, and some bowling and doughnut tutorials. There is even some social skills development going on with Bruiser, and with the Yada-Yada's, some subtle stuff happening under the sprinkles. The more time I spend with the book, the more ways I can see the kids enjoying it, for sure 2-3 graders. I want a donut, glazed, no sprinkles. ( )
  margothere.library | Aug 8, 2015 |
I will make a confession: I am not a fan of Laurie Keller. I just don't get her art style and I've never been a fan of her brand of humor. However, I know that kids love, love, love Arnie the Doughnut and her other books. I even had a parent the other day tell me how much she loved the movie "I didn't know there was a book!" Um, yeah, there is. So, despite my personal feelings, when I saw that Arnie was moving into chapter-dom, I picked up a galley to preview.

After his many adventures, Arnie is settling down to belonging to Mr. Bing and being his doughnut-dog. One of Mr. Bing's favorite things to do is go bowling and naturally, Arnie goes along. There's always plenty going on at the bowling alley, but it's especially intense when there's a competition going on. Will Mr. Bing, with the help of Arnie's magic sprinkles, win the day? Or will he be sabotaged by a mysterious ill-wisher? Can Arnie find out what's going on?

The art in this galley is black and white, but I'm not sure if the final edition will be color or not. Honestly, it doesn't really matter. Although it's not to my personal taste, I can perfectly see why kids love Keller and this chapter book will pick up many more fans for this wacky author. Small chunks of text are interspersed with illustrations, speech bubbles, panels, and text in odd fonts and layouts. You'd think that a bowling tournament would be pretty boring, but Keller's silly humor and Arnie's unintentional funnies - like expecting all inanimate objects to talk back to him - make it laugh-out-loud funny.

Verdict: Whether you have Arnie fans or not, quite a few kids will find this easy chapter book a hoot and will be glad to recommend it to their friends and wait eagerly for the sequels. Recommended.

ISBN: 9780805090765; Published June 2013 by Henry Holt/Macmillan; ARC provided by the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2013; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jun 22, 2013 |

As Mr. Bing's new pet "doughnut dog," Arnie couldn't be happier. When Mr. Bing joins a bowling league, Arnie gets to go along to practices and competitions. But then Mr. Bing starts rolling gutter balls. Someone or something is behind the madness. Arnie, together with his team of goofball friends, must sort through the shenanigans and solve the mystery. Get ready for some sleuthing and even some magic.

Full of Laurie Keller’s winning charm and silly humor, this chapter book—the first in the series—is sure to please her many fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

Arnie the talking doughnut is delighted to be Mr. Bing's new pet "doughnut-dog," so when Mr. Bing starts rolling gutter balls during a big bowling tournament, Arnie suspects foul play and sets out to solve the mystery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible