Jerusalem: The Story of a City and a Family…

Jerusalem: The Story of a City and a Family

by Boaz Yakin

Other authors: Nick Bertozzi (Illustrator)

Waltz with Bashir: A Lebanon War Story by Ari Folman (-Eva-)
    -Eva-: The story of another important Israeli historical event in graphic format, where the author searches for his lost memories of his experience in the 1982 Lebanon War.

The story of the Halaby family and their experiences in Jerusalem 1940-1948 as British Palestine is on the verge of becoming the State of Israel. The story is very engaging and heartfelt, but the times were thus so that's not too surprising. The scenes that deal with human interaction (rather than battles) are well worth the read, but unfortunately the art is such that I had an extremely hard time telling the characters apart and it became a struggle to follow the different storylines. I'd recommend it for someone who already has a grasp of the historical events, but I think the politics would be hard to follow unless you know, for example, the difference between the Irgun and the Haganah. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 7, 2014 |
The story of a Jerusalem family in a turbulent time, the 1940s, when war, faith and politics cause division among family members. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | May 29, 2014 |
The year is 1940. The place is Jerusalem. And there is war all around. Not only is World War II continuing and taking away the men and boys of Israel to fight Hitler’s armies, but Jews and Arabs are fighting once more within Jerusalem. This story follows three generations of the same family, 15 members in total, from 1940-1948, through war, through jail, through faith, and through death. This is a story that will not let you go.

This has been one of the most difficult books for me to review, not only because of the content (which at times draws close to some buried family secrets) but also because of the way the story is told. Boaz is a filmmaker at heart and it shows in how he writes and plots his stories as he moves from one person to the next and then back again to pick up the characters tale. It’s a powerful and interesting way to create a story, but at the same time there were times I got lost and needed a scorecard to keep up with the characters (of which thankfully there was one in the front.) It took me two read throughs to see the entire story, which is probably more my reading style than that of Boaz's writing. That aside though, this is a powerful story and is one that you’ll want to read again and again to see what you might have missed. Although Boaz fictionalized parts of the story, much of it still has the feel of a biography which makes it even more interesting to read.

Nick’s black and white illustrations make it feel like we’re watching one of those old classic black and white films and gives the film a sense of heaviness, of reality that grounds the story and helps keep it real. We watch as the characters grow and change during this 8 year time period and come to life. Although the illustrations are relatively simple, Nick adds details to keep visual interest that will keep the reader looking for visual imagery that enhances the story.

This is one of those books that you need to have a box of tissues next to you and a computer handy so that you can lookup aspects of the history, not to verify anything, but to enhance your understanding of the story and the places discussed. And once you get done...read it again. And then pass the book onto someone else. I give the book 4 out of 5 stars.

ARC provided by Gina at FirstSecond ( )
  zzshupinga | Apr 19, 2013 |
Absolutely outstanding! This chunkster of a graphic novel is a gripping read that I could not put down once started. It is one I already plan to re-read. Starting off with a map and couple pages of text we are given an historical background of Israel/Palestine up to the starting date of the book post-WWII 1945. Follows is a one page text background of the fictional family featured in the book up to this date as well. The reader is then fully immersed into the chaotic, war-torn life of a Jewish family whose members have differing viewpoints on the issues surrounding them. Very much a family story but heavily grounded in its political background. If, like me, you know of this conflict only from modern times, you will find the historical background of the making of Israel a compelling story. The author manages to give an even presentation showing no bias to either Jew or Arab, only coming off as being extremely anti-war and biased totally against the former British Commonwealth. The family story is heart-wrenching; there are moments of levity but mostly it is a dark tale of hatred and love. The b/w artwork is beautifully realistic though at times the realism of the atrocities of war can be painful to look at. A stunning book which I wouldn't be surprised to see on a few award lists for 2013. ( )
  ElizaJane | Apr 16, 2013 |
Jerusalem (a fictionalized version of Yakin's family history) is full of conflict, moral courage and compelling, all-too-human cowardice.

Boaz Yakinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bertozzi, NickIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Béguerie, BasileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Jerusalem is the story of a single family--three generations of very different people--as they are swept up in the chaos of nation-making from 1940 to 1948. Love, death, faith, family, and politics form the perilous mix that fuels this ambitious, cinematic graphic novel about the events surrounding the creation of the modern Israeli state."--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,150,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible