John Adams by David McCullough

John Adams (2001)

by David McCullough

Recently added byprivate library, Mykellee, peterg88, kleahey, rhlee

English (140)  Romanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (143)
This book underlined for me why it is important that I have begun this project to read at least one biography of each American President. Basically, I knew nothing of John Adams other than that he was our second president. If McCullough tells the tale correctly, Adams found politics and political parties to be anathemas. How refreshing! Yet how sobering, too, to think the infighting we behold today has been with our government nearly from the beginning of our nation.

Of the many factoids presented, I especially appreciated learning that it was The Netherlands which lent us money that kept our fledgling country afloat.

I have to laugh at Adams' description of Quakers: he found most of them to be as "dull as beetles." ( )
  kaulsu | Jul 9, 2014 |
Very well written historical biography of a man whom all Americans owe a considerable debt for the formation of the nation that all of us as citizens should be proud of. ( )
  mrluckey | Jun 17, 2014 |
There is so much that I did not know about our second president that McCullough has brilliantly unlocked. This book is now one of my most prized possessions. A must-read for any historian! ( )
  mgeorge2755 | May 14, 2014 |
The Biography by which all others will be (and maybe should be) judged. A herculean effort and justifiability the recipient of the Pulitzer Prize. Simply marvelous. ( )
  Schneider | May 13, 2014 |
McCollough's second Pulitzer. ( )
  schmicker | Apr 19, 2014 |

David McCulloughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herrmann, EdwardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Runger, NelsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence I know not. - John Adams to Abigail Adams, 1774
For our sons David, William, and Geoffrey
In the cold, nearly colorless light of a New England winter, two men on horseback traveled the coast road below Boston, heading north.
I must judge for myself, but how can I judge, how can any man judge, unless his mind has been opened and enlarged by reading,

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141657588X, Paperback)

Left to his own devices, John Adams might have lived out his days as a Massachusetts country lawyer, devoted to his family and friends. As it was, events swiftly overtook him, and Adams--who, David McCullough writes, was "not a man of the world" and not fond of politics--came to greatness as the second president of the United States, and one of the most distinguished of a generation of revolutionary leaders. He found reason to dislike sectarian wrangling even more in the aftermath of war, when Federalist and anti-Federalist factions vied bitterly for power, introducing scandal into an administration beset by other difficulties--including pirates on the high seas, conflict with France and England, and all the public controversy attendant in building a nation.

Overshadowed by the lustrous presidents Washington and Jefferson, who bracketed his tenure in office, Adams emerges from McCullough's brilliant biography as a truly heroic figure--not only for his significant role in the American Revolution but also for maintaining his personal integrity in its strife-filled aftermath. McCullough spends much of his narrative examining the troubled friendship between Adams and Jefferson, who had in common a love for books and ideas but differed on almost every other imaginable point. Reading his pages, it is easy to imagine the two as alter egos. (Strangely, both died on the same day, the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.) But McCullough also considers Adams in his own light, and the portrait that emerges is altogether fascinating. --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:52 -0400)

In this powerful, epic biography, David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life-journey of John Adams, the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always honest Yankee patriot who spared nothing in his zeal for the American Revolution; who rose to become the second President of the United States and saved the country from blundering into an unnecessary war; who was learned beyond all but a few and regarded by some as "out of his senses"; and whose marriage to the wise and valiant Abigail Adams is one of the moving love stories in American history. This is history on a grand scale -- a book about politics and war and social issues, but also about human nature, love, religious faith, virtue, ambition, friendship, and betrayal, and the far-reaching consequences of noble ideas. Above all, John Adams is an enthralling, often surprising story of one of the most important and fascinating Americans who ever lived.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible