Memories of Summer by Ruth White

Memories of Summer

by Ruth White

195490,648 (3.86)2

I gave this book 5 stars because it was simply.....amazing! Did I like it? Can you like something that rips your heart out? That makes you cry so much you have to take your contacts out? This author really speaks to me. Her writing grips me. Her words stay with me. I am a better person for having read this. I don't think I will ever look at mental illness the same way again. Now I will think of the families in the background, struggling to hold on to that person they love, even though it's not the same person anymore. There is a part towards the end that is so powerful, where Lyric (the little sister who is the voice of the book) goes through so many emotions - embarrassment, humiliation, anger - before she remembers the love she has for this sister who took care of her and always loved her. Oh gosh, I'm crying again just thinking about it. I highly recommend this book to adults and teenagers, but I'm not sure about children. And now I have to go look at one of those Youtube videos where a baby is laughing at tearing paper or something. ( )
  Bduke | Nov 8, 2012 |
Schizophrenia is a weighty topic, especially for children, but Ruth White handled the subject with great sensitivity. I would highly recommend this book to people who are trying to educate under-12s about mental illness -- with the caveat that the outlook for schizophrenics is better than it was in the 1950s at the time this book was set. Side issues in the book -- homesickness and racial prejudice, for example -- are handled well without sounding artificial or intruding into the story too much. ( )
  meggyweg | Mar 6, 2009 |
In 1955, thirteen-year-old Lyric finds her whole life changing when her family moves from the hills of Virginia to a town in Michigan and her older sister Summer begins descending into mental illness. ( )
  ERMSMediaCenter | Jan 15, 2009 |
This is a moving story of a family that has struggled through many of life's trials. The main character, Lyric Compton, has a distinct voice that speaks knowingly and honestly about the ravages of mental illness. Summer, Lyric's older sister, has always had her peculiar ways but at sixteen she is becoming increasingly delusional and detached from life. The book will appeal to middle and high school readers because of the length of the book, only 135 pages, the plain spoken dialogue and a plot that doesn't get mired in despair. ( )
  vortega | Feb 18, 2008 |
Dedicated to the memory of my sister, Audrey
My parents knew no other place but the southwest Virginia hills where they were raised.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440229219, Mass Market Paperback)

Newbery Honor Winner Ruth White gives readers an unforgettable story of one girl’s experience growing up with a sister that develops schizophrenia.

It’s 1955 when 13-year-old Lyric moves with her father and older sister, Summer, from a small Virginia town to the big industrial city of Flint, Michigan. Summer has always been a little odd, but shortly after the move, things take a turn for the worse when she starts talking to imaginary people and having frightening episodes of paranoia. When she slips out of reality and into the depths of schizophrenia, the devoted Lyric can no longer reach her.

Lyric loves her sister but is torn between taking constant care of Summer and enjoying her own youth. Soon a decision will have to be made that will affect their lives forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:26 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible