Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick

Just Like Fate (edition 2013)

by Cat Patrick, Suzanne Young

Member:kperry
Title:Just Like Fate
Authors:Cat Patrick
Other authors:Suzanne Young
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:E-Book, Your library

Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick

Caroline has a difficult decision to make. Her beloved grandmother is dying and after days spent waiting by her bedside, Caroline just wants an escape from the grief and family drama. So, when her best friend suggests a night off to attend a party, Caroline is torn. Stay with Gram for what could be her final hours or go to the party and live a little? And what, exactly, would the consequences be? A future of mistakes and regrets, or resolution and acceptance? Can one decision really change the course of a life?
Co-authors Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young have given readers an interesting premise to think on--they allow Caroline to make both choices. In alternating chapters titled “Stay” and “Go”, the aftermath of each decision unfolds. Relationships with family and friends are broken and resolved. Caroline’s long-time high school crush finally notices her, but so does a new and charming college boy. Whether Caroline remains or leaves determines which parent she’ll live with, whether her best friend stays her best friend, and even how far she’ll go with the boy she loves.
What’s most revealing here is that good and bad things happen to Caroline regardless of the path she takes, and readers will have to ultimately decide for themselves which decision may have been the best one. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book just didn't appeal, although at the start I liked the split STAY and GO story lines once Caroline was visiting her dying Grandmother in the hospital. However, I didn't like either Caroline, although the GO character was slightly better and her story more interesting. For me, Chris (the GO love interest) was the most likeable character in the book. He was sweet, charming and funny, and slightly goofy. Joel, on the other hand, was horrible and I hated how Caroline behaved when she was around him. Overall, a disappointing read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Caroline is at a crossroads. Her grandmother is sick, maybe dying. Like the rest of her family, Caroline's been at Gram's bedside since her stroke. With the pressure building, all Caroline wants to do is escape--both her family and the reality of Gram's failing health. So when Caroline's best friend offers to take her to a party one fateful Friday night, she must choose: stay by Gram's side, or go to the party and live her life.

The consequence of this one decision will split Caroline's fate into two separate paths--and she's about to live them both.

Friendships are tested and family drama hits an all-new high as Caroline attempts to rebuild old relationships, and even make a few new ones. If she stays, her longtime crush, Joel, might finally notice her, but if she goes, Chris, the charming college boy, might prove to be everything she's ever wanted.

Though there are two distinct ways for her fate to unfold, there is only one happy ending...

This was the last of the titles on my 'to be read' list for Children's Book Day. Another that I'm glad I was 'made' to read.
It isn't an original or new concept - Sliding Doors did the same sort of thing - but it has enough of an original take to mean that it doesn't suffer for the comparison.
I read it quickly because other staff need to read it before the meeting, but that was all to the good. This book needs to be read quickly. The chapters alternate between the path Caroline follows having stayed on that fateful night, and what happens if she chose to go to the party. While they are clearly marked so you which storyline you are following, a disjointed read might make it difficult to keep the two threads straight.

Whether bereaved or not, many teenage girls will identify with Caroline and her problems, not to mention some of her bad choices and actions along the way. She is flawed, she is human, she is real. ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
Thank you to Simon & Schuster Pulse for providing me a copy of this ARC; which I won in a giveaway.

I'm not usually one who likes contemporaries; but when I read the blurb (and saw the cover) I was properly intrigued. I haven't read too many of the (what I now know are called) "sliding-doors" books. After reading this book, I will be seeking them out.

We have Caroline who is faced with a choice; just one choice that can totally change her life and split them into two paths. One path is where she stays by her grandmothers side in the hospital. Down the other path she chooses to leave for a party after being by her family's side for days while her grandmother is ill.

Both choices left pros and cons. I found myself wishing she had stayed at first, but then wishing she had left so she could meet Chris. I adore Chris. He's one of my favorite literary boys I've read in awhile. He's unique; I mean he doesn't remind me of any other boys in any YA books-- which is beyond cool. And them together? Their banter had me laughing out loud numerous times. I could feel how good Chris is for her. Their relationship was real; to the point where since I finished reading this book, in other books I'm like, Nope! Their "love" is too fake! So kudos to this book for reminding me that teenage love can be written really well. which I already know but it's good to be reminded

So we also have the go chapters which switch off with the Stay chapters. Yeah, its a little confusing at first but the bottom of the pages are marked. So, if Caroline stayed by her grandmother she would be with her forever-crush, Joel. Joel is a douchebag. Horrible. And it takes awhile, and quite a bit of damage for her to realize that. Also, there's her sister and mother. Caroline doesn't really get along with her sister, at all. It's like they don't understand each other and it only gets worse down that path. I don't want to ruin any of the story; so ill skip to the end. What can I say? The ending was, in one word, perfect. Yes, perfect. 5 f*ckin stars. No joke. Let me try to explain..

See, I was a Philosphy minor in college. I basically spent 6 years of my life discussing, reading and debating the concept of "fate". Does fate exist? What are the implications? Oh golly, these unanswerable questions get my juices flowing. (Ew?) But seriously, I've given this a lot of thought. My most...pleasing answer is, yes; in some form fate does exist. We make our choices, good and bad, and we lead our lives based on our choices. But not entirely. There are some things that end up happening no matter what we choose. It may take us longer to get there (ahem, Caroline); but we get there.
This is exactly the lesson this book gives, in the end. I think more than the excellent writing, deep characters, and funny dialogue; that is why I gave Just Like Fate 5 stars.

What are you waiting for? Go get this book! ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen on Boricuan Bookworms

Have you ever been at a crossroads? Ever had to make a huge decision and didn’t know what to choose? Have you ever thought, “what if”? If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions, then Just Like Fate is the book for you!

Caroline has a tough decision on her hands: stay by her grandmother’s side during her final hours, or go to a party with her best friend. That choice will split up Caroline’s life into two different paths: the path where she stayed and the part where she went. Now her fate is going to be lived in two different ways, problem is, there can only be one…

I was really afraid to read this book because I had initially thought that Caroline’s choice should be obvious: Stay. I was completely prepared to judge and hate her if she chose to abandon her grandmother for a stupid party. That’s exactly what I did at first. I hated how selfish she was in the chapters that were about how she left. I hated how much she avoided conflict. Basically I just resented her so much because of the fact that she had “abandoned” her family for a stupid party.

But, as the story went on, I realized how wrong I was. Caroline wasn’t a bad person; she had reasons to make the choices she did. Caroline was human, thus prone to mistakes just as we all were. Do I condone her choices? Maybe not, but I do understand them. After coming to this realization, I can finally conclude that Caroline is actually really down to earth.

Surprisingly, the story actually progresses very smoothly and even though it’s narrating the same moment in Caroline’s life in two different ways, it’s easily understandable. I liked how in the “Stay” moments Caroline had a certain personality and in the “Go” chapters she had another one. It made Caroline to be a really complex character.

Know what else is complex in this book? The romance. If Caroline had chosen to stay, she would have been with Joel, the guy who’s she’s been in love with since forever. He normally never talked to her, but now he’s getting closer to Caroline. I didn’t like Joel at all. Other than the fact that he had a girlfriend when he started to get close to Caroline made me realize how much of a jerk he actually was. Not to mention the fact that he’s the crappiest boyfriend I’ve ever read about in a book. Sure, he was nice to her at times, and came up with the occasional romantic gesture, but other than that I couldn’t like him much. Chris is another story. He’s the boy Caroline would’ve met if she had chosen to go. Chris is a college student, who for some reason understands Caroline when no one else seems to. He’s funny, geeky, attractive and honest, but word around campus is that he’s the biggest player. I liked Chris. I’m actually Team Chris in this book. Chris was different, he was mature. It’s true that he was secretive, and rumors didn’t help him much, but nevertheless, I liked him. So you see, each boy had his pros and cons in this book and yet, I enjoyed the romance in this book so much. It made me laugh, giggle, squeal and even gasp in excitement. It was a really wholesome romance.
"You're the only girl I want," he says. "I love you." He pulls away to laugh softly, looking surprised at his own words. His eyes are wide and vulnerable, as if a word from me can crush him. "I'm totally in love with you," he murmurs.
-Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick & Suzanne Young

This book doesn’t focus completely on the romance. It also talks about the importance of family. At the beginning of the book, Caroline’s family is in shambles. She has to work through that to make her family better. Caroline’s grandmother was the biggest part of this change and thanks to her many things go into place.

The ending was the make or break moment for me. I was afraid to know which choice Caroline had actually made. How was I going to react if I knew she had actually chosen to go? What if she had actually chosen to stay? Which was the real world? Surprisingly, the authors threw us a curveball. They made us realize, that whatever choice Caroline actually made, if it was bound to happen, it would have. They made us realize that everything just fell into place.

Overall, this was a beautiful, romantic and heart-felt story about deciding what you want and how things sometimes just happen because they’re supposed to.

Rating: 4 stars

Finished copy provided thanks to Hardie Grant and Egmont in exchange for an honest review!
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

With her Grandmother dying, Caroline is given a choice to either stay by her Gram's side or go to the biggest party of the year. The story is told in alternating chapters, revealing what happens if Caroline stays or goes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,244,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible