Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Just Above My Head by James Baldwin

Just Above My Head (1979)

by James Baldwin

Easily one of the best novels I have every read. ( )
  DavidCLDriedger | Apr 22, 2015 |
I'm a fan of Crunch, one of the great characters in this book. I had the great pleasure of telling that to Mr. Baldwin at a book signing. So he signed my book, "To David, a fan of Crunch, peace, JB" Quite a thrill. I've only sought an autograph on two occasions. My other autograph is from the photographer Brassai. Both men have inspired me and my work. ( )
  DavidGreene | Jul 18, 2010 |
I need to re-read this.
  glwestfall | Nov 14, 2008 |
Absolutely the best. Also recommend Go Tell It to the Mountain. Am seeking first edition; especially signed ( )
  latinobookgeek | Mar 7, 2007 |

James Baldwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hos, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The stark grief of a brother mourning a brother opens this novel with a stunning, unforgettable experience.  Here, in a monumental saga of love and rage, Baldwin goes back to Harlem, to the church of his groundbreaking novel Go Tell It on the Mountain, to the homosexual passion of Giovanni's Room, and to the political fire that enflames his nonfiction work.  Here, too, the story of gospel singer Arthur Hall and his family becomes both a journey into another country of the soul and senses--and a living contemporary history of black struggle in this land.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

Love and courage bind three extraordinary people--a former child evangelist, a famous gospel singer, and the latter's manager-brother--as they shape and are shaped by the events of the past three decades.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible