The Girls of August by Anne Rivers Siddons

The Girls of August (edition 2014)

by Anne Rivers Siddons

"Every August, four women would gather together to spend a week at the beach, renting a new house each year. The ritual began when they were in their twenties and their husbands were in medical school, and became a mainstay of every summer thereafter. Their only criteria was oceanfront and isolation, their only desire to strengthen their far-flung friendships. They called themselves the Girls of August. But when one of the Girls dies tragically, the group slowly drifts apart and their vacations together are brought to a halt. Years later, a new marriage reunites them and they decide to come together once again on a remote barrier island off the South Carolina coast. There, far from civilization, the women make startling discoveries that will change them in ways they never expected" --… (more)
Member:Samkwrth
Title:The Girls of August
Authors:Anne Rivers Siddons
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2014), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Beach read

The Girls of August by Anne Rivers Siddons (Author)

How could I not give this book, the last from my beloved author Anne Rivers Siddons, a 5 star review. What made it any better than all her other books, which were wonderful, I found this on my TBR shelf not realizing I still had one of her books I hadn't read. Thank you for the last of your gifts to your faithful readers world. ( )
  mchwest | Oct 20, 2019 |
Anne Rivers Siddons is never going to win the National Book Award, but I can usually count on her for a good mindless beach read. This book, however, was just preposterous. A good 4th of July weekend i'll never get back. ( )
  etxgardener | Jul 29, 2018 |
Not up to her earlier books. Not worth the time. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Not her best book ( )
  INorris | Jun 8, 2017 |
I love anything she writes, and the only thing I can find negative about this book is that it's too short!

Love that the women are stuck in a crucible of an island, for two weeks, pretty much alone. The plot and conflict unfolds naturally and with power.

Another winner. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible