MARCH WITH ME by Rosalie Turner

MARCH WITH ME

by Rosalie Turner

411,664,912 (5)None

March with Me by Rosalie Turner is an excellent book for people to learn about the two worlds of black and white people in the past. This is fiction set in Birmingham, Alabama in April 1963 and goes to April 1, 1975. The story is narrated by two girls, Letita, a black girl aged 15 and by Martha Ann, a white girl named Martha Ann. Their connection at the beginning is that Letitia’s mother works as a maid to Martha Ann’s mother.

I thought that story was very well written and researched. I was 17 in 1963 and can remember watching the girls being beaten back by water hoses on the evening news. Reading about it in this book brought back many grade school memories. I went to P.S. 45 in Indianapolis for grade school and never saw a black person until I was walking home from school in the fifth grade! I was so confused where did they go to school? Not mine.

Later, I had to go to summer school to improve my mathematic skills. That school was in a different area. I was very surprised to be the only white person a class of all black students, none in the rest of the school either. As I took my seat, I noticed that all eyes were on me. That didn’t stop for two months, everyone watched me. Also, I noticed that our school books were very old and shabby. There was some printed in the 1930s. You can think about that when reading this book.

I devoured this e- book! It was very difficult to stop reading. The author expertly portrayed the world of young teens living in different cultures. I didn’t remember the Children’s March, just the events after that so I was eager to see that through the eyes of a young teen. The author took us through the years with both the white and black characters and their separate lives. Reading this book makes me want to find out more. I think this book is unique because it is the story of children growing up, not adults. I haven’t told you that much about what goes on in this book. I want to read it instead.

I recommend this book to everyone who wants to learn more about the Movement in its beginning years. I definitely want to read more of Rosalie Turner’s books.

I received this e-book from the publicist for this book but that in no way influenced my review. ( )
  Carolee888 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Like a tornado, the civil rights movement struck Birmingham in the spring of '63. In this multicultural coming of age historical novel, we are swept into the separate societies of the south.

Two girls, one black and one white, endure the pain and prejudice of segregation. The girls mature and pursue the same profession until one fateful day when a force of nature sweeps in and rearranges their lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

Rosalie Turner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,399,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible