The Color of Rain by Cori McCarthy

The Color of Rain

by Cori McCarthy

Teenager Rain lives in a dark world where many of the people catch an illness that robs them of their memory not unlike alzheimer's. She has already lost both parents and a brother and she is now about to lose her younger brother, the only family she has left. She does what she has to find a cure and save him even if that means she has to sell herself to do it.

I had never really read a story like this. I usually stay away from sci-fi but I was pleasantly surprised with The Color Of Rain. The fact that Rain goes to any extreme to save her brother, her friend and sometimes herself was a little shocking to me. The story had a darkness to it. Just when you thought things might get better it got a little worse.

The Color Of Rain is another ones of those stories that falls in the category wanting more after finished. I wanted a sequel. It ends well enough but I just wanted to know what else happened. I am also a little surprised it is considered a young adult book. It does have some heavy adult themes.

I finished the book a few months ago and the story still sticks with me. Which to me means it was a good read. My mind still wanders to the characters wondering what they are doing. Or if I would sacrifice myself for my family the way Rain did. The story cuts deep and shocks your core a little but worth a read. ( )
  lavenderagate | Oct 17, 2017 |
Rain’s Earth is a cloudy, unforgiving planet. There is no place for laughter and life in a world gone dead. Half the population is missing, taken away by the police for being “Touched,” while the rest struggle to put food on their tables and survive. The Touched have lost their grip on reality, existing in a mindless shell. Fear of contagion and superstition have led to their extinction.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/the-color-of-rain-cori-mccart... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Rain White is one tough heroine, and this YA science fiction novel will keep you turning pages as you pray for her to survive. My review: http://blog1.wandsandworlds.com/2013/08/book-review-color-of-rain.html ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 22, 2013 |
This is a debut novel that is so unexpected and mind-bending that I guarantee you won't be able to put it down. Part of it, yes, is the shock of it all. Cori McCarthy's THE COLOR OF RAIN is about prostitution. In space.

I think it's actually more apt to think of this as a human trafficking book, though. Rain, the protagonist, is a fiery redhead -- and one of the last. Johnny, Captain of a ship that runs the Void between Earth City and the outer planets, is fascinated by her -- he's never seen a real redhead before and has always wanted one. The fact is, Johnny isn't all that he appears, and while Rain has already reached a point of desperation to saver her sick brother, she truly has no idea what she is in for when she agrees to whatever Johnny wants in return for passage on his ship -- and her brother's possible salvation.

Her only ally on the ship is Johnny's Mec, Ben. And while everyone, including Rain's best friend Lo, is convinced that Mecs are strange, evil, and possibly even cannibalistic, Rain doesn't see it. But it's hard to tell who your ally is on a ship that might actually hold secrets darker than the prostitution ring that Rain has found herself stuck in. And when someone as sinister as Johnny is in charge of it all? All hope might be, well, out the airlock.

THE COLOR OF RAIN is a book that is so sensational, and so terrifying, that would definitely be tough for the faint of heart. However, the writing is so solid, the characters so believable, and truthful, I would recommend it to sci fi fans who can handle the true issues that very real, very our world teens encounter in the tragic reality of human trafficking. Cori McCarthy has built a world that is Battlestar Galactica meets Locked Up Abroad. She's a voice to watch, and I can't wait to see what she does next. ( )
  EKAnderson | Jun 12, 2013 |

The Void cloaks many secrets, and Rain quickly discovers that Johnny's ship serves as host for an underground slave trade for the Touched . . . and a prostitution ring for Johnny's girls. With hair as red as the bracelet that indicates her status on the ship, the feeling of being a marked target is not helpful in Rain's quest to escape. Even worse, Rain is unsure if she will be able to pay the costs of love, family, hope, and self-preservation.

With intergalactic twists and turns, Cori M. McCarthy's debut space thriller exists in an orbit of its own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

If there is one thing that seventeen-year-old Rain knows and knows well, it is survival. Caring for her little brother, Walker, who is "Touched," and losing the rest of her family to the same disease, Rain has long had to fend for herself on the bleak, dangerous streets of Earth City. When she looks to the stars, Rain sees escape and the only possible cure for Walker. And when a darkly handsome and mysterious captain named Johnny offers her passage to the Edge, Rain immediately boards his spaceship. Her only price: her "willingness." Secretly and quickly Rain discovers that Johnny's ship serves as host for an underground slave trade for the Touched . . . and a prostitution ring for Johnny's girls. With hair as red as the bracelet that indicates her status on the ship, the feeling of being a marked target is not helpful in Rain's quest to escape. Even worse, Rain is unsure if she will be able to pay the costs of love, family, hope, and self-preservation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,912,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible