Tasting Home: Coming of Age in the Kitchen

by Judith Newton

"Tasting Home combines recipes with personal vignettes, in the classic form of food memoirs by writers such as M.F.K. Fisher and Ruth Reichl, to take us on a remarkable journey through the cuisines, cultural spirit, and politics of the 1940s through the 2000s"--

Tasting Home: Coming of Age in the Kitchen was good, but lacked the writing finesse of "foodie" authors such as M.F.K. Fisher or Ruth Reichl. The recipes in here were, for the most part, ones I would not try. Aside from (and in spite of) those two issues, I was fascinated by Judith Newton's telling of her life story. She became a professor when women professors were rare, and discusses the challenges of being a female professor during that time. Additionally, her sharing the complicated relationship between her and her husband who formally came out as gay after their marriage, was very touching. Even after divorcing and having committed relationships with others, they were still deeply attached to each other. I really appreciated reading Newton's perspective on life. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | May 4, 2016 |
First time I have read a memoir blended with recipes from that time of the author's life. Very nice presentation of food while describing her coming of age in the 60s. Very readable. ( )
  LivelyLady | Nov 4, 2014 |

Judith Newton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,835,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible