The Stone Cutter by Camilla Läckberg

The Stone Cutter (2005)

by Camilla Läckberg

Recently added byseannaq, private library, Jeanne.Miller, SimpleChaos, gilbertdean88, nevadaannie, Jon38, vnesting
    Kind of Cruel by Sophie Hannah (hairball)
    hairball: The core police forces in these novels are almost exchangeable! Bumbling coworkers abound. (I enjoy both mystery series.)

English (42)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (64)
My favourite in the series so far. I started reading The Ice Princess a few weeks ago with mild curiosity, not really knowing what to expect but soon became hooked on Lackberg's writing style and story ideas. Now I am devouring the whole series, one book at a time.

After Louise Penny this is probably my favourite contemporary female mystery writer. The stories are so intricately woven, the characters seem almost real, I have a feeling I'd recognize them if I ran into them on the street. In each book there is always more than one mystery to be unraveled, especially in the Stonecutter. Can't wait to start The Stranger. ( )
1 vote anais_nin | Aug 20, 2014 |
Very easy reading, if you can avoid thinking too hard about all the murders and other cruelty and stuff, but not mindless by any means. Very focused on parent-child relationships. Quite a lot of talk about evil people - but this is a bit misleading as it's more evil emerging out of evil done to people rather than people being evil in themselves. Or maybe I'm just putting my own thoughts into it. Anyway I liked all the different strands of story. Must have liked it because after I finished this book I immediately started reading the next one in the series.... ( )
1 vote Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
One of the most masterful Scandicrime fiction authors presents us with a thriller that has all the makings of a movie that will keep viewers at the edge of their seat until the ending credits flash on the screen.

The 3rd in the series, Detective Patrik Hedstrom and his team are tasked with finding the murderer of a young child, found in the water by a local fisherman. The investigation is blurred by secrets held by the family of the young child and by their feuding neighbors. But why is there ash in the young victim's lungs? When 2 more babies are found with ash on their clothings or in their mouths but thankfully otherwise unharmed and one of the babies is Hedstrom's daughter, the investigators step up in their interviewing techniques with a suspect they have in custody.

Alternating with the investigation is the unfolding story set more than 50 years ago of a young woman who believes herself betrayed by all the men in her life.

The author's skill in tying all the different individuals, their past and their hidden secrets together so smoothly and with escalating tension deserves a standing ovation. ( )
1 vote cameling | Jun 11, 2014 |
Audio version well done. Others have commented that there are a lot of characters to keep track of and this is especially true when you aren't seeing the names in print. However, a fair trade off to hear the pronunciation of names and places. Compex, long. I like these characteristics in a mystery. ( )
  zoomball | Jun 6, 2014 |
The best book in he Fjallbacka series IMHO. Great, detailed character and moving fates shown in the context of an unusual crime. Ine of the best skandinavian crime story I've ever read. ( )
  TheCrow2 | May 24, 2014 |
Voor Ulle
Zo gelukkig mogelijk
De zeekreeftenvisserij was niet meer wat ze was geweest.

When a young girl's body is pulled out of the harbor in the small Swedish resort town of Fjallbacka, Det. Patrik Hedström becomes the lead investigator as he struggles with lazy and inept colleagues and an even remoter-than-usual boss. It's his grim task to discover who could be behind the murder of the child both he and his partner Erica knew well.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible