The Stonecutter by Camilla Läckberg

The Stonecutter (2005)

by Camilla Läckberg

Series: Erica Falck & Patrik Hedström (3)

Kind of Cruel by Sophie Hannah (hairball)
    hairball: The core police forces in these novels are almost exchangeable! Bumbling coworkers abound. (I enjoy both mystery series.)

English (50)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (73)
This, the third entry into the Fjallbacka series, reminded me quite a lot in feel of John Ajvide Lindqvist's 'Harbor' - but without the supernatural aspects.

As with the previous two books, Lackberg's story centers on a grisly death which, under investigation, turns out to hinge upon the unsavory secrets of the past.

I did feel that this one suffered a bit from too much pop psychology.

One of the characters is described as suffering from DAMP - which I'd never heard of. Turns out it's a concept popular only in Sweden, and describes characteristics which, in America, are more popularly referred to as ADHD. "DAMP" is the concept of Swedish psychiatrist Christopher Gillberg, and I have a feeling that Lackberg did quite a bit of reading up on his ideas for this book, because she also has a character with 'Asperger's Syndrome.' The way he's described sounds more like he's fully autistic, rather than mildly - but his character seems like it was formed straight from Gillberg's description of Asperger's, rather than from Lackberg having ever met anyone like the character.

It's an interesting insight into how even slightly different cultures may perceive issues of mental health quite differently.

It's still a good, solid book - but not quite as good as the previous two.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Interesting and suspenseful. Many characters and stories which tied together from the past and present. It's a crime novel similar to those by Tana French. I look forward to the next in the series. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
In this book the story shifts between past (way past) and present and you keep wondering how this comes together, whose family history you are reading. I can say that the past storyline is interesting and dark and keeps you want to read more as in the present there is not so much progress.. About halfway through the book I put one and one together so not so much of a surprise but still a good book, well-written. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
I read this in English. The author is Sweden's bestselling crime writer of all time. I enjoyed this story within a story—that all comes together at the end, of course. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |

Camilla Läckbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murray, Steven T.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ulle
All possible happiness
The lobster fishery was not what it once was.

When a young girl's body is pulled out of the harbor in the small Swedish resort town of Fjallbacka, Det. Patrik Hedström becomes the lead investigator as he struggles with lazy and inept colleagues and an even remoter-than-usual boss. It's his grim task to discover who could be behind the murder of the child both he and his partner Erica knew well.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,149,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible