The Stone Cutter by Camilla Läckberg

The Stone Cutter (2005)

by Camilla Läckberg

898None9,801 (3.68)27
2013 (8) audio (4) Bohuslän (5) crime (36) crime fiction (30) detective (19) ebook (10) Erica Falck (9) fiction (47) Fjällbacka (8) intrigue (6) Kindle (9) murder (11) mystery (46) narrativa (4) novel (4) Patrik Hedström (7) polar (6) police (4) policier (8) read (6) Scandinavia (5) series (4) suspense (7) Sweden (56) swedish (24) Swedish literature (7) thriller (27) to-read (11) unread (4)
    Kind of Cruel by Sophie Hannah (hairball)
    hairball: The core police forces in these novels are almost exchangeable! Bumbling coworkers abound. (I enjoy both mystery series.)

English (37)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (59)
This is the first novel I have read by this author, and it won't be the last. It is a bit hard to follow at first with many characters and changes in time periods, but it is well worth it to stick it out. It is a great murder mystery with endless suspects that will have you guessing right until the end. ( )
  TracyCampbell | Mar 25, 2014 |
Really enjoying this series with Erica and Patrik. This is not my favourite book

Critics are raving about this deliciously chilling new thriller from Scandanavian crime-writing sensation Camilla Läckberg.

Named by major media outlets, such as USA TODAY, The New York Times, and The Washington Post, as a main successor to Stieg Larsson, Swedish author Läckberg is on the rise. Her new novel, which The Washington Post has already named as one of their “Ten Books We Love This Year” and praised as “richly textured and downright breathtaking,” continues the story of local detective Patrik Hedström and his girlfriend, Erica Falck, the beloved crime-solving duo whose first child has just been born. But while they celebrate this new life, a suspicious drowning claims a little girl they knew well. As the murder’s implications widen, Patrik’s investigation threatens to tear apart the rural fishing village of Fjällbacka, where a secret lurks that spans generations.

A deeply satisfying third installment in her internationally bestselling series, The Stonecutter will establish Läckberg for the U.S. audience once and for all. As USA TODAY says, “If you haven’t yet read the equally entrancing Ice Princess and The Preacher, what are you waiting for?” ( )
  Suzanne_Mitchell | Dec 28, 2013 |
When a 7 year old girl's body is found drowned off the coast of Fjallbacka, Patrick Hedstrom is on the case working hard to find out who murdered her. This story weaves the past and the present together while also presenting various aspects of people's lives from home lives to the impact of friends and relatives. Each chapter contains multiple perspectives that in the end result in the criminal being found and brought to justice.

Ms Lackberg does a wonderful job of being able to present everyday life alongside of the horrors of murder, torture, abuse, and neglect. She has made Fjallbacka in all its small town glory come to life on the page. Each book in this series adds to the story that was previously told in the past novels; each book is just the next chapter for Patrick and Erica's lives and the next crime that Patrick must solve. Ms Lackberg is an expert at creating a mystery-horror tale while making it completely realistic. She is a true master of her craft. ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
I liked this book. It had been a few years since I last read a book by Läckberg and it was nice to rediscover her.
I loved the divide between the historical story and the here and now part of the book. She really got me guessing how, what who, why the two stories were related and it was nice to find out how the connection that I was thinking of was made indeed.
A well constructed story, but it did not veel VERY artificial, if you understand what I mean.

I felt very Lucky to have part 4 at hand too, since the cliffhanger this book ends with is really not my kind of thing. Very annoying. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Oct 6, 2013 |
First Line: The lobster fishery was not what it once was.

Detective Patrik Hedström and Erica Falck are celebrating the birth of their first child... or they would be if Erica weren't on such an emotional roller coaster. Patrik loves mother and baby dearly, but lately he's glad that work takes him out of the house-- even if it's the suspicious drowning death of a little girl he and Erica knew well. The more people Patrik interviews, the more clues he puts together, the more he becomes aware of the fact that a long-buried secret is lurking in the fishing village of Fjällbacka, Sweden.

Camilla Läckberg's series featuring Patrik and Erica is a favorite of mine, even when I put the clues together quickly, as I did in this book. The reason for this is the fact that Läckberg has created a book (and a series) that goes well beyond a mystery that must be solved.

The mystery does play an important part in The Stonecutter. The investigation into the death of the little girl is absorbing, and it is interspersed with even more intense chapters concerning a man and wife from several decades in the past. These two separate stories intersect and prove what one character tells another: "I've thought about this, and we can't keep living with a secret. Monsters live in the dark." Quite scary monsters, as it turns out.

Even though I did deduce the killer's identity quickly, I wasn't put off one little bit. This is because the home life of Patrik and Erica is central to the book. They are intelligent, likable characters that are easy to care about, and often the problems that they are dealing with in their private lives find themselves woven into the ongoing investigations. The theme of coping with motherhood is integral to the book, and Erica as a new mother, has a role to play in the story's outcome. Even Erica's sister, a mother in an abusive relationship, is heard as a faint and troubling chorus in the background.

I recommend Läckberg's series for its setting in rural Sweden, for its intricately plotted mysteries, but most of all for its cast of meticulously drawn characters. It's Läckberg's characters that will keep me returning book after book after book. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 4, 2013 |
Voor Ulle
Zo gelukkig mogelijk
De zeekreeftenvisserij was niet meer wat ze was geweest.

When a young girl's body is pulled out of the harbor in the small Swedish resort town of Fjallbacka, Det. Patrik Hedstrm becomes the lead investigator as he struggles with lazy and inept colleagues and an even remoter-than-usual boss. It's his grim task to discover who could be behind the murder of the child both he and his partner Erica knew well.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,423,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible