The Stonecutter by Camilla Läckberg

The Stonecutter (2005)

by Camilla Läckberg

Series: Erica Falck & Patrik Hedström (3)

Kind of Cruel by Sophie Hannah (hairball)
    hairball: The core police forces in these novels are almost exchangeable! Bumbling coworkers abound. (I enjoy both mystery series.)

English (55)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (79)
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I read this book at the height of my Scandinavian thriller period, several years ago, and while I liked all book in the series, this one was always my favourite.

When a young girl is found murdered, the investigation only leads to more suspects and motives as time goes by...

But I tried to re-imagine just what made this one better than the others, and honestly, I can't be sure. The story is decent, as are most of the others, and there's the mixture between suspense and domestic story that is just right. It is a delightfully quick read, and especially to this novel I look back with very warm feelings.

Note: I read a Dutch translation of this book ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Powerful story combining crime mystery with generational personality disturbances. Quite dark and complex. Probably best read without too much time between sittings so that the threads are not lost by the reader. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
An extremely well written book. The author introduced a number of characters -- which generally is needed in a good mystery -- but they were all so distinct that it wasn't difficult keeping tabs on them as the story shifted about. As the pieces came together in the end, it was in a well crafted fashion, not rushed or hurried that can often be the case. First title read by this author and plan to try others. ( )
  skraft001 | Mar 22, 2016 |
I read "The Stonecutter" in a matter of days. That is unusual for me as I am busy with my dogs and crafts. It is the third in a series. The other two are "The Preacher" and "The Ice Princess." The author Camilla Lackberg has been compared to Stieg Larsson. Sometimes it is easiest for me to realize I am enjoying a book immensely simply because I can not wait to get back to reading it, and bring it with me everywhere I go in case I get a moment to spare. The book is a bit on the long side-506 pages. Lackberg leaves the reader with a cliffhanger. Erica's sister has been accused of taking the life of her abusive husband. I am anxious to find and begin the next book. In all there are 8 books that take place in Fjallbacka, a small Swedish resort town. Patrik Hedstrom is the lead investigator on the case and a new father also. He and Erica Falck are exhausted by their new schedule and Lackberg doesn't paint a rosy picture of motherhood but rather intersperses tender moments and triumphs with the very real exhaustion and frustrations that mothers and fathers experience with their infants. In addition, it is one of their friends whose daughter is missing so they are deeply invested in the case. Lackberg's technique of taking the reader back and forth into the past and back to the present lays down subtle clues. By the end of the book the two stories converge. I can't wait to read the other two books in the series. It was a fast read for me despite the book being over 500 pages. I highly recommend it. ( )
  mmignano11 | Feb 26, 2016 |
This was the first novel I have read by this author, and it won't be the last. It is a bit hard to follow at first with many characters and changes in time periods, but it is well worth it to stick it out. It is a great murder mystery with endless suspects that will have you guessing right until the end. Can't wait to dive into her other books!
  TracyCampbell | Feb 12, 2016 |

Camilla Läckbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murray, Steven T.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ulle
All possible happiness
The lobster fishery was not what it once was.

The remote fishing resort of Fjallbacka has seen its share of tragedy, though perhaps none worse than that of the little girl found in a fisherman's net. But the post-mortem reveals that this is no case of accidental drowning. The truth could tear aside the idyllic facade of the town of Fjallbacka, perhaps forever!… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,859,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible