The Stone Cutter by Camilla Läckberg

The Stone Cutter (2005)

by Camilla Läckberg

Recently added byLibrarypal12, LuanaS, sandra.k.heinzman, jo57, CollegeParkAcademy, private library
    Kind of Cruel by Sophie Hannah (hairball)
    hairball: The core police forces in these novels are almost exchangeable! Bumbling coworkers abound. (I enjoy both mystery series.)

English (47)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (69)
I read this in English. The author is Sweden's bestselling crime writer of all time. I enjoyed this story within a story—that all comes together at the end, of course. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
The Stonecutter. Camilla Lackberg. 2005. This is the third book in Erica Falck/Patrik Hedstrom series and the best so far! Erica has had her baby and is struggling with major postpartum depression although she doesn’t realize it. Patrik escapes to work and feels guilty but he doesn’t understand what is going on with Erica either. Worry fades when he is called to investigate the body of a child found by a lobster fisherman. Any dead child is a tragedy but Patrik is horrified when he realizes the child is the daughter of a friend of Erica’s. And so the investigation begins… The subplots are just as interesting as the main plot as we learn more about the lives of the other policemen and Erica’s pathetic sister ( )
  judithrs | Dec 24, 2014 |
Another audiobook that it took me most of 2013 to get through (I wasn't a quick audiobook listener - I listened to this on walking commutes and while gardening, but not much of the rest of the time). This wasn't my first bit of Scandicrime, but definitely one of my first.

When an 8-year-old girl is found drowned in the harbour, fingers point very quickly at the autistic son of the girl's neighbour; her grandmother and the neighbour have been fighting for years, and Markus saw Sarah on her last day. Local detective Patrik Hedstrom knows it's not that easy, but between the gruesome nature of the crime, his newborn daughter's incessant screaming and his wife's crippling post-natal depression, he's really struggling. Meanwhile in the parallel story, simple stone cutter Anders is forced to marry the spoilt daughter of the local business magnate after a romance gone wrong. No amount of love seems to be able to mellow Agnes.

This had all the necessary ingredients for a gripping thriller - plenty of well-developed characters with idiosyncracies, a bleak and cold setting, several turns for the worse, an unexpected death caused by incompetent policing... it really ticks all the boxes.

I had no idea this was part of a series and will, in time, look out for the others, but I don't feel a need to go rushing out to find them.

I don't really think the alternate story-line was necessary, it really just interrupted things and while it gave some background to the killer's motive, it didn't give enough motive to really justify including it.

Shout-out to the translator: it was very well translated. Enough local detail left to give us a very strong sense of setting, without it ever being incomprehensible. Also well narrated - slightly separated voices for the different characters made it much easier to keep track! ( )
  readingwithtea | Dec 24, 2014 |
My favourite in the series so far. I started reading The Ice Princess a few weeks ago with mild curiosity, not really knowing what to expect but soon became hooked on Lackberg's writing style and story ideas. Now I am devouring the whole series, one book at a time.

After Louise Penny this is probably my favourite contemporary female mystery writer. The stories are so intricately woven, the characters seem almost real, I have a feeling I'd recognize them if I ran into them on the street. In each book there is always more than one mystery to be unraveled, especially in the Stonecutter. Can't wait to start The Stranger. ( )
1 vote anais_nin | Aug 20, 2014 |
Voor Ulle
Zo gelukkig mogelijk
De zeekreeftenvisserij was niet meer wat ze was geweest.

The remote fishing resort of Fjallbacka has seen its share of tragedy, though perhaps none worse than that of the little girl found in a fisherman's net. But the post-mortem reveals that this is no case of accidental drowning. The truth could tear aside the idyllic facade of the town of Fjallbacka, perhaps forever!… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,723,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible