The Stonecutter by Camilla Läckberg

The Stonecutter (2005)

by Camilla Läckberg

Series: Erica Falck & Patrik Hedström (3)

Kind of Cruel by Sophie Hannah (hairball)
    hairball: The core police forces in these novels are almost exchangeable! Bumbling coworkers abound. (I enjoy both mystery series.)

English (54)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (78)
Powerful story combining crime mystery with generational personality disturbances. Quite dark and complex. Probably best read without too much time between sittings so that the threads are not lost by the reader. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
An extremely well written book. The author introduced a number of characters -- which generally is needed in a good mystery -- but they were all so distinct that it wasn't difficult keeping tabs on them as the story shifted about. As the pieces came together in the end, it was in a well crafted fashion, not rushed or hurried that can often be the case. First title read by this author and plan to try others. ( )
  skraft001 | Mar 22, 2016 |
I read "The Stonecutter" in a matter of days. That is unusual for me as I am busy with my dogs and crafts. It is the third in a series. The other two are "The Preacher" and "The Ice Princess." The author Camilla Lackberg has been compared to Stieg Larsson. Sometimes it is easiest for me to realize I am enjoying a book immensely simply because I can not wait to get back to reading it, and bring it with me everywhere I go in case I get a moment to spare. The book is a bit on the long side-506 pages. Lackberg leaves the reader with a cliffhanger. Erica's sister has been accused of taking the life of her abusive husband. I am anxious to find and begin the next book. In all there are 8 books that take place in Fjallbacka, a small Swedish resort town. Patrik Hedstrom is the lead investigator on the case and a new father also. He and Erica Falck are exhausted by their new schedule and Lackberg doesn't paint a rosy picture of motherhood but rather intersperses tender moments and triumphs with the very real exhaustion and frustrations that mothers and fathers experience with their infants. In addition, it is one of their friends whose daughter is missing so they are deeply invested in the case. Lackberg's technique of taking the reader back and forth into the past and back to the present lays down subtle clues. By the end of the book the two stories converge. I can't wait to read the other two books in the series. It was a fast read for me despite the book being over 500 pages. I highly recommend it. ( )
  mmignano11 | Feb 26, 2016 |
This was the first novel I have read by this author, and it won't be the last. It is a bit hard to follow at first with many characters and changes in time periods, but it is well worth it to stick it out. It is a great murder mystery with endless suspects that will have you guessing right until the end. Can't wait to dive into her other books!
  TracyCampbell | Feb 12, 2016 |
This, the third entry into the Fjallbacka series, reminded me quite a lot in feel of John Ajvide Lindqvist's 'Harbor' - but without the supernatural aspects.

As with the previous two books, Lackberg's story centers on a grisly death which, under investigation, turns out to hinge upon the unsavory secrets of the past.

I did feel that this one suffered a bit from too much pop psychology.

One of the characters is described as suffering from DAMP - which I'd never heard of. Turns out it's a concept popular only in Sweden, and describes characteristics which, in America, are more popularly referred to as ADHD. "DAMP" is the concept of Swedish psychiatrist Christopher Gillberg, and I have a feeling that Lackberg did quite a bit of reading up on his ideas for this book, because she also has a character with 'Asperger's Syndrome.' The way he's described sounds more like he's fully autistic, rather than mildly - but his character seems like it was formed straight from Gillberg's description of Asperger's, rather than from Lackberg having ever met anyone like the character.

It's an interesting insight into how even slightly different cultures may perceive issues of mental health quite differently.

It's still a good, solid book - but not quite as good as the previous two.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Camilla Läckbergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murray, Steven T.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ulle
All possible happiness
The lobster fishery was not what it once was.

When a young girl's body is pulled out of the harbor in the small Swedish resort town of Fjallbacka, Det. Patrik Hedström becomes the lead investigator as he struggles with lazy and inept colleagues and an even remoter-than-usual boss. It's his grim task to discover who could be behind the murder of the child both he and his partner Erica knew well.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible