Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Hawk by Steven Brust

Vlad is getting desperate. There has been a price on his head for years, but the Jhereg are making a more concerted effort to kill him and this is stopping Vlad from seeing the people he most cares about. So he plans to give the Jhereg something they want more than to see him dead.

The way Vlad tells his story feels a bit like watching a magic trick. He explains what his goal is and sets up an agreement that if he can offer the Jhereg council a particular business opportunity, the council will stop trying to kill him. He shows much of what he does to prepare for his meeting, but he's careful to not give away just why he has to take all these steps or what his ultimate plan is until it all unfolds.

I did not enjoy Vlad nearly dying from a crushed windpipe -- I am squeamish about such details, ugh -- but I did enjoy the appearances made by Vlad’s closest friends and the different ways they help him. Vlad’s banter and teamwork with Loiosh, his jhereg familiar, is always entertaining, but what struck me the most here was how well Loiosh knows Vlad, and how much he supports Vlad by acting as a voice of reason.

And Vlad’s Great Weapon demonstrates more signs of sentience -- hello, yes, I am here for talking weapons and this talking weapon in particular! (It’s sort of a long story. No, wait, it isn’t, it’s just another story and it’s called Issola, ie., the ninth Vlad book.)

This book left me very curious about what happens next, but also interested in rereading some of the previous ones… I keep wishing I was reading this series was a friend because I want someone to analyse and speculate with.

When you don’t have the skill you need, you hire someone who does; and when you can’t do that, you find a way to fake it. Some days I think that explains most of my career. ( )
  Herenya | Aug 25, 2018 |
A solid Vlad Taltos book, hearkening back to some of the lighter earlier works in the series, before the protagonist's (and, I suspect, the author's) marriage failed. Of interest only to people who enjoy this series of books about an Eastern assassin, but one of the better ones for all that. ( )
  Meggo | May 31, 2015 |
Vlad is back! Not the depressed, harassed and carried-along-with-events Vlad, but the Vlad from the early books. Vlad Taltos, the human trying to stay alive in a 'elf' dominated world is finally tired of the crime lords that want him dead. He's figured out a way to make himself more valuable alive than dead, but he has to stay alive long enough to put his plan into action. Kragar and Cawti (a little) also make a reappearance. Good stuff in the best tradition of Brust, with some laugh out loud parts and his usual wry humor. This book will not make much sense if you haven't read at least a few of the proceeding books (13!). ( )
  Karlstar | Mar 23, 2015 |
Vlad Taltos, book 14! Relatively short, and ultimately a caper book: Vlad is tired of being on the run from the Jhereg, so he comes up with a plan to get them to back off; he really wants to see his son. I’m glad I got this (partial) closure, though I think it does rely very heavily on our existing affection for Vlad. ( )
  rivkat | Dec 3, 2014 |
Steven Brust can do complicated plots - and this one is a doozy. Luckily, just when it seems its going to fall apart, with too many pieces, it all comes together, and it makes total sense.

In this book - Vlad is sick of running from the Jhereg - he wants to see his family, sick of his friends being threatened, and generally, just wants to eat a good meal, sleep in a real bed, and not be worried about being killed by an assassin.

So, with a few good friends and an odd Hawk Sorcerer, a plan forms. And it includes an enchanted Euphonium- which has got to be a first for a fantasy novel.

Highly recommended. Actually most of the series is recommended! ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Nov 30, 2014 |

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, Bernard SetaroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the memory of Enos Harold Hunley (1944-2010), who kept his eyes open when he was needed.
My name is Vlad Taltos. I used to be an assassin, until—

Vlad Taltos has a price on his head. It isn't the first time, but what's new is that the entire Jhereg organization -- thieves, assassins, vicious criminals all -- has committed to removing him from the board. It will take all of Vlad's considerable ingenuity to come up with a plan that will get the Jhereg off his back permanently.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,495,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible