In the Body of the World by Eve Ensler

In the Body of the World

by Eve Ensler

hard to read at times, but a real insight to one's emotions when you have cancer ( )
  janismack | Nov 7, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I haven't read any Ensler's work before. I've watched The Vagina Monologues a couple times. I knew that this was not in the same vein as her other books. But I found it just as powerful. Living through death, coming back from getting to the depths of life itself is no small task. The power Ensler finds in herself and the way she explains it, is utterly amazing.

I cannot recommend this book enough. To survivors everywhere, not just cancer, but survivors of life. ( )
  Spoerk | Oct 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the past I have read Ensler’s books The Vagina Monologues & The Good Body. This book was a rather touching and raw memoir chronicling her experience with uterine cancer. Having lost two grandparents and an aunt to cancer (and my mother having a scare with cancer a year before I was born) the content matter immediately appealed to me. And while a couple of times I had to stop and really focus to realize whether the writing was in the past or present it was a good book that was written in an interesting and beautiful way. Parts of it are painful to read merely because cancer is such a scary subject for most people but that didn’t make the book any less enjoyable. ( )
  joyfiction | Aug 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Eve Ensler best known for her play, The Vagina Monologues, has penned a very moving and at times raw memoir of her experience with uterine cancer. Ensler explains how this fast-moving and not-quite-linear memoir is similar to a CAT Scan, a roving examination. The time-out-of-place juxtaposition of presents, pasts, friends, family, despair, and hope gives the pages depth and the use of strong words are at times painful but important to read through.

(note: I received my copy of this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program.) ( )
  pennyshima | Jul 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Deeply personal memoir of surviving a cancer diagnosis, twinned at times with Esner's work to assist victims of rape in Africa. Esner's writing is lyrical and painfully pointed. I found her writing style mesmerizing, but at times it seemed almost too much – the lyricism worked for me as long as it was grounded and purposeful, and felt overblown when it wasn't. Esner is, at the heart of this, writing for herself and not necessarily for her readers. Considering the subject matter, it's hard to fault her for this. Four stars. ( )
  MyriadBooks | Jul 18, 2013 |

From the bestselling author of The Vagina Monologues and one of Newsweek’s 150 Women Who Changed the World, a visionary memoir of separation and connection—to the body, the self, and the world

Playwright, author, and activist Eve Ensler has devoted her life to the female body—how to talk about it, how to protect and value it. Yet she spent much of her life disassociated from her own body—a disconnection brought on by her father’s sexual abuse and her mother’s remoteness. “Because I did not, could not inhabit my body or the Earth,” she writes, “I could not feel or know their pain.”

But Ensler is shocked out of her distance. While working in the Congo, she is shattered to encounter the horrific rape and violence inflicted on the women there. Soon after, she is diagnosed with uterine cancer, and through months of harrowing treatment, she is forced to become first and foremost a body—pricked, punctured, cut, scanned. It is then that all distance is erased. As she connects her own illness to the devastation of the earth, her life force to the resilience of humanity, she is finally, fully—and gratefully—joined to the body of the world.

Unflinching, generous, and inspiring, Ensler calls on us all to embody our connection to and responsibility for the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:24 -0400)

The author of The Vagina Monologues describes being diagnosed and treated for uterine cancer and how her illness forced her to reconnect with her own body and gave her a better understanding of the resilience of humans.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

In The Body Of The World by Eve Ensler was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible