The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

The Dream Thieves (2013)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle (2)

Testing.
  timspalding | Oct 17, 2018 |
The Raven Boys focused mostly on Gansey and Blue; The Dream Thieves changes that focus to Ronan and Adam. It would be nice if Noah got more of a story. In both books he's been more of a plot point than a character, and I'd really like to see more of him.

We learned at the very end of The Raven Boys that Ronan can pull things out of his dreams. In this book we learn he's not the only one. His father had the same power, and someone else seems to be using that power to taunt him.

At the same time, the energy in their town is fluctuating. Noah's disappearing, the Cabeswater (the magical forest they discovered in the first book) is gone, and strange things are happening everywhere. There's so much of a disturbance that it's brought people to town. People who are looking for the Greywaren. They don't know what it is, but they know it can remove things from dreams. Oh, and one of those very dangerous people is somehow dating Blue's mom.

Stiefvater is so good at making her characters live. They could walk off the page. The family continues to bond and to work out their various roles and identities, and for some of them finding those identities will be crucial to saving everyone.

I didn't enjoy The Dream Thieves as much as the first book, but I think that's because there was much more sadness in this book. Adam and his family, Ronan and his--there's a great deal of pain there and sometimes it's hard to take.

Trigger Warning: Physical Abuse of a Teenager

(Provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
As the second book in this series, I still have to say this was a very good book. Kavinsky, though I would've liked more of him, was an amazing antagonist. The story - though it could've used a little less drama from Adam and Blue and Gansey - was still great. Ronan's developments as the Greywaren were very interesting and though I find it a shame that his 'suicidal' tendancies were thrown off as 'oh it's monsters' I still found the aspect of taking things out of dreams to be intruiging. ( )
  ancientbookbride | Sep 11, 2018 |
better than the first but i enjoyed it less ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
I enjoyed this second installment even more than the first. Lots more character development, and the plot moves along nicely without being predictable. Absolutely no eye-rolling occurred, and that’s pretty huge for me when reading YA. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Aug 11, 2018 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What if you slept
In your sleep
You dreamed
In your dream
You went to heaven
And there plucked a strange and beautiful flower
When you awoke
You had that flower in your hand
Ah, what then?
— SAMUEL TAYLOR COLERIDGE
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
— T. E. LAWRENCE
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves.
— AUGUST STRINDBERG
for Jackson, and all her mqrvelous hours [sic]
A secret is a strange thing.
Theoretically, Blue Sargent was probably going to kill one of these boys.

Ronan Lynch learns to
Control his ability
To take things from dreams.
(passion4reading)

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater are awake, magic is swirling around Blue and The Raven boys and Ronan Lynch's ability to pull objects from his dreams is almost out of control but worst of all, the mysterious Gray Man is stalking the Lynch family, looking for something called the Greywaren.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,649,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible