The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

The Dream Thieves (2013)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle (2)

1,1951046,715 (4.16)62

"In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them. Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness. Her raven boys."

This series is unreal. It's not that it's fantasy (which it is, I suppose), but that it's unreal. The Raven Boys was sluggish and confusing for me, but much as other readers have promised me, Stiefvater hits her stride in The Dream Thieves. It's a dark and pretty melancholy read, but with the first book having been dedicated to building and introducing, we finally get to delve further into the complexities of these strange, damaged teenagers.

In the second installment of The Raven Boys series, Blue and her band of inscrutable prep school boys are further embroiled in an increasingly dangerous metaphysical mystery. Ronan and his haunting adventures in the dream world are at the center of this story. As he explores his ability to pull tangible items into reality from the dreamscape, Ronan has the opportunity to unravel the mysteries surrounding his father's grisly murder and confront the barriers preventing him from moving forward with his life. But his strange talents are attracting a variety of shady characters to steamy Henrietta.

This story is impossibly detailed and complex, making it difficult to summarize with any sort of succinctness. But I'm delighted to finally be on board with a series everyone else seems to love. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
This was as fast a read as the first book. I zoomed through in a little over a day. I won't go into spoilers, but I will say that the gripping and sympathetic writing on Gray Man is proof that Stiefvater is an incredible writer. I'm happy that I have the 3rd book at hand to start tonight! ( )
  ladycato | May 3, 2017 |
It took me over a month to finish The Dream Thieves, which is unusual for me because I'll usually either finish a book in just a few days, or give up on it if I can't get into it. I just couldn't get into The Dream Thieves, but I really wanted to find out what happened to the characters (and also to understand the posts on Tumblr about it), so I made myself finish it.
The Dream Thieves definitely wasn't as good as The Raven Boys. I really don't like Ronan, and this book was mostly about him and The Gray Man (who I also don't really care for). Kavinsky was also a ridiculously annoying character, and even though it makes me sound like a terrible person, I wasn't really upset with what happened to him at the end of the book.
I may or may not read Blue Lily, Lily Blue, but if I do it won't be for a long while. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
When I finished [b:The Raven Boys|17675462|The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)|Maggie Stiefvater|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1415182016s/17675462.jpg|18970934] I didn't feel a desperate need to continue on with the series. But I had more time than books on my hands and decided to continue on, especially since I had heard this book was more from Ronan's perspective. I kind of hate that that makes it better, because we all know that Ronan is pretty shitty but has all these little moments that we allow redeem and atone him. They are brief. They are often small. But the readers want to see the best in him, and there's just such room for that with the way he's written, and it's a dangerous level of permissiveness. A dangerous tendency for forgiveness. I think everyone has seen it. The beautiful awful boy we want to believe has some inner goodness or sympathy with ourselves, only led along to bad ways by bad friends or circumstance. So that's a problem, and yet here I am, saying that as far as The Raven Cycle goes this book is the best of the lot so far because it's Ronan's story more than anyone's.

And it's also a summer story and a story of frustrated teenage emotions, and I mean, that's something that always gets me. Remember how torn up my heart was over [b:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe|12000020|Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe|Benjamin Alire Sáenz|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1448779570s/12000020.jpg|16964419]? Because Ari couldn't communicate anything? Same applies here. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Whaaaaattt!!!??? The ending!! The ending of Maggie's books always make me crave for the next book!! Sadly I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first book. There were parts that I didn't understand immediately. I still don't understand what exactly happened during the scrying that changed Adam so much... It is possible that it's because English is my second language and I have trouble understanding complicated words. How frustrating! Although I am very curious about what's going to happen next, I'm not going to get to the third book immediately because I don't want to have to wait for the fourth book. The wait for Queen of Shadows was agonizing and that was enough for me. I saw the cover today and it's beautiful!! But it's sort of disappointing that the release date keeps getting postponed... ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What if you slept
In your sleep
You dreamed
In your dream
You went to heaven
And there plucked a strange and beautiful flower
When you awoke
You had that flower in your hand
Ah, what then?
— SAMUEL TAYLOR COLERIDGE
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
— T. E. LAWRENCE
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves.
— AUGUST STRINDBERG
for Jackson, and all her mqrvelous hours [sic]
A secret is a strange thing.
Theoretically, Blue Sargent was probably going to kill one of these boys.

Ronan Lynch learns to
Control his ability
To take things from dreams.
(passion4reading)

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater are awake, magic is swirling around Blue and The Raven boys and Ronan Lynch's ability to pull objects from his dreams is almost out of control but worst of all, the mysterious Gray Man is stalking the Lynch family, looking for something called the Greywaren.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible