Boxers by Gene Luen Yang

Boxers

by Gene Luen Yang

Other authors: Lark Pien (Colorist)

Series: Boxers & Saints

Boxers looks at the history of China's Boxer Rebellion from the perspective of a young man who grows up to become a leader of the Society of the Righteous and Harmonious Fist. Little Bao received martial arts training and he in turn trained others. The young men from his village joined with others throughout China to fight the “foreign devils” and “Christians” that they believed were destroying China from the inside. Little Bao and his companions perform a ritual before battle, and the spirits of gods are shown to enter their bodies at the end of the ritual. They engage in battle in the form of these gods. Cultural misunderstandings and false rumors are suggested as causes of the conflict. The art has just the right amount of detail to tell the story without unnecessary distractions. There is a companion volume, Saints, that tells the other side of the story, and these two novels should be read together. ( )
  cbl_tn | Feb 21, 2016 |
I truly do not know how to give this a rating, despite the fact that I obviously have. How can I use a word like "good," when everything inside is so horrifying? And when I can feel elements of sympathy for all the different viewpoints represented, but there are none that aren't also responsible for committing terrible atrocities? I feel like the best word I can use is "skillful," which it absolutely is. Together with Saints, Yang brings an amazing intimacy and perspective to a comprehensively tragic part of history.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I can't say I know anything about the Boxer Rebellion but this graphic novel lays out the historic basics in a commanding and dramatic presentation. Looking forward to reading the companion, Saints. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Yang makes what could have been a very dry and difficult to understand event in Chinese history accessible to high schooler students and up. However, because he mixes in mythological characters with is main characters, it is not a substitute for texts on the Boxer revolution.

Was the story entertaining and one I wanted to finish? Absolutely.
Will I move on to his companion graphic novel Saints? You bet.
Can I recommend this book to middle school students? Hmmm, not sure. There's a lot of sword stabbing and some inappropriate language in the book. I understand their use and see the merit of including them, but it puts the book in an awkward position where it's really based on personal sensibilities as to whether a middle school student should read this. So, with parental notification, I don't see an issue with this book being brought into a middle school classroom. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
This mystical tale of the Boxer Rebellion was amazing. I loved the history and the art style of this volume. I knew right away who the companion story Saints was going to be about. The way the boxers became the gods was amazing. Boa's internal struggle is incredible. I'm so excited/it's so late at night I'm not sure I can write coherently but basically all the positive things you've heard about the book are true. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Gene Luen Yangprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pien, LarkColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steen, RobDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Venable, Colleen AFCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the Original Art Night Crew
Spring is my favorite time of year.

In 1898 China, Little Bao has had enough of foreign missionaries and soldiers robbing peasants, and he recruits an army of Boxers to fight to free China from its oppressors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,949,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible