The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.: A Novel by…

The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Adelle Waldman

Member:Alexander19
Title:The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.: A Novel
Authors:Adelle Waldman
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2013), Hardcover, 256 pages

The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.: A Novel by Adelle Waldman (Author)

English (37)  Dutch (1)  All languages (38)
Nathaniel P. is a writer/hipster, living, writing and dating in Brooklyn. After a child-hood spent on the periphery of the cool kids, in his late twenties he's found that he is now one of the cool kids. He is a serial monogamist, who can't quite seem to find 'the one.' Quite possibly, because there isn't anyone who could possibly live up to his ideal. Especially, as he is not at all sure what that ideal would be.

As the novel opens, we meet two of his exes in rapid succession. Both of whom seem needy and clingy. Then he meets, and eventually enters a relationship with Hannah. Hannah is not needy or clingy. In Nate's eyes, she has everything he is looking for. At least for a time. The problem is, Nate isn't happy with what he says he most values in a mate. He becomes withdrawn and distant. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In response to his withdrawal, Hannah becomes needier, seeking the light he initially bestowed upon her.

Many reviewers have been turned off by this book because they dislike the protagonist. While, he's not someone I'd want to go to dinner with, I definitely felt I knew him. I enjoyed this well-written book and it's take on modern dating. ( )
  bravewoman | Feb 3, 2017 |
Waldman is an extremely deft writer. She would have to be to keep me reading about the pangs and travails of a narcissist whose every thought occasions myriad questionings of his intentions and ramifications of same. Gets tiresome after a while but she's also very good at characterization and if the scenes take place nearly all in the pre-gentrified apartments and uber-gentrified coffee shops and restaurants of Brooklyn, Waldman is nevertheless an astute chronicler of literary New York. ( )
  TimDel | Feb 2, 2017 |
Was it wrong of me to expect one hell of a novel behind that lovely jacket? The answer, it turns out, is yes! When they say one should not judge a book by its cover, it is not for nothing. Lesson learnt!

The protagonist of Adelle Waldman debut; Nathaniel Piven, “Nate” is a 30 something writer who has almost made his name in the literary world by selling his book for a considerable sum of money. The way Adelle Waldman puts it, Nate is a “product of a postfeminist, 1980s childhood and politically correct, 1990s college education.” So it is natural women would dig this tall, good looking guy, at least until they realize what an “asshole” he is!

The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. focuses mainly on one of Nate’s relationships, although we get a glimpse of his past relationships and the girl who comes after the ‘main plot’ briefly. We discover the real Nate, both shallow and obnoxious, waiting to spring to life as we read the novel. And when he does, to my utmost annoyance, most of the women around him reduce into tears and stop being themselves! Not that many of the women he dated are the kind who would leave an impression, after all Adelle’s portraits of them made me feel like these women haven’t had an original thought in a long time.😐

The dust jacket of the book is full of praise for The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. Adelle Waldman is apparently “deliciously funny and very witty” and I somehow missed all that! Maybe if she had included more dialogues I would have agreed with them, but for me, this book is just way too bland.

And I feel like I spent too much time reading about some callow man who refuses change his ways, without a single takeaway! Sigh! ( )
  Nirmala.Chandrasiri | Nov 30, 2016 |
Incisive gender-bending narration; not wowed by the prose itself. Cut a bit close to home. ( )
  benjaminsiegel | Jul 30, 2016 |
A very disappointing read. I can't believe how good the reviews have been. It reads like a male version of Sex in the City only without the humour and with much less interesting characters. Being so rigidly stuck in the world of publishing, the novel is an exercise in navel-gazing. The main character is irritating self-centred and boring which may be what the author intended but, if so, does not make for an interesting novel. ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |

Bold, touching, and funny—a debut novel by a brilliant young woman about the coming-of-age of a brilliant young literary man

“He was not the kind of guy who disappeared after sleeping with a woman—and certainly not after the condom broke. On the contrary: Nathaniel Piven was a product of a postfeminist 1980s childhood and politically correct, 1990s college education. He had learned all about male privilege. Moreover, he was in possession of a functional and frankly rather clamorous conscience.” – From The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.

Nate Piven is a rising star in Brooklyn’s literary scene. After several lean and striving years, he has his pick of both magazine assignments and women: Juliet, the hotshot business reporter; Elisa, his gorgeous ex-girlfriend, now friend; and Hannah, “almost universally regarded as nice and smart, or smart and nice,” who is lively fun and holds her own in conversation with his friends.

In this 21st-century literary world, wit and conversation are not at all dead. Is romance? Novelist Adelle Waldman plunges into the psyche of a modern man—who thinks of himself as beyond superficial judgment, yet constantly struggles with his own status anxiety, who is drawn to women, yet has a habit of letting them down. With tough-minded intelligence and wry good humor The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. is an absorbing tale of one young man’s search for happiness—and an inside look at how he really thinks about women, sex and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

"In [the] 21st-century literary world, wit and conversation are not at all dead. Is romance? Novelist Adelle Waldman plunges into the psyche of a modern man--who thinks of himself as beyond superficial judgment, yet constantly struggles with his own status anxiety, who is drawn to women, yet has a habit of letting them down"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Adelle Waldman's book The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,205,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible