Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and…

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night

by Lenore Look

Series: Alvin Ho (5)

* (1) 2013 (1) 570L (1) Alvin Ho (2) anxiety (1) ARC (1) boys (1) c (1) CF (1) chapter book (2) Chinese Americans (1) Concord MA (1) family (2) fear (1) fears (1) fiction (3) grade 5 (1) hb (1) humor (2) illustrations (1) kids (1) middle grade (1) pregnancy (2) realistic fiction (1) school (2) schools (1) series (2) siblings (4) sports (1) therapy (1)

This story was very, very odd. I mean, a little boy being sympathy pregnant is weird enough, but then all of the boys in his class start thinking that they may be pregnant too. This book could be great for teaching kids about mass hysteria and how public panic can spread.. but a lot of it just made me uncomfortable to read. I really enjoyed Alvin as a character and how thoughtful he was, but I just couldn't get over how unusual the subject matter of this book was. I was hoping this would be a good read for kids whose mothers were expecting, but I think that reading about Alvin's sympathy pregnancy could further freak them out. I haven't read the other books in The Alvin Ho series, but I would like to see if all of their subject matter is as unusual. What i did like about this story was that Alvin's family are asian american which tends to be an underrepresented ethnic category in children's lit. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Sep 2, 2015 |

Readers will herald the return of their favorite phobic boy in this, the fifth book in the beloved Alvin Ho series. Alvin's mother has been getting bigger . . . and bigger. Alvin's sure it's all the mochi cakes she's been eating, but it turns out she's pregnant! There are lots of scary things about babies, as everybody knows—there's learning CPR for the newborn and changing diapers (no way)—but the scariest thing of all is the fact that the baby could be a GIRL. As a result of the stress, Alvin develops a sympathetic pregnancy and hilarity definitely ensues. Once again, Lenore Look and LeUyen Pham deliver a story that's funny and touching in equal measures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:00 -0400)

When fearful seven-year-old Alvin Ho learns that his mother is expecting a baby, he develops a sympathetic pregnancy--adding to his worry about the burglar who is targeting Concord, Massachusetts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,790,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible