Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by…

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library

by Chris Grabenstein

English (51)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)
An essay contest to determine which 12, 12-year olds will spend the night in the new library. What is so special about this library? It was designed in secret by Mr. Lemoncello, the designer of many popular board games & video games. He is eccentric and does things his own way. No one knows what the library will look like inside and these lucky 12-year olds will get to see it first.

Kyle Keeley loves board games; his older brother is better than him at sports and his younger brother is a genius. Kyle's only hope to beat them is at games. Kyle forgets to write his essay and that is no big deal to him until he realizes who the judge is and what the prize is. He takes a chance and hands in his essay late. But will he get one of the coveted spaces in the overnight?

The kids that win get locked in the library overnight. In the morning, they find out that the real game is to find a way out of the library. Some kids choose not to compete but others stay and battle for the chance to represent Lemoncello's company in commercials and be his official spokesperson. They have three lifelines, Ask An Expert, Library Consultation & Extreme Challenge. And they can use any resources they find in the library.

Who will win and what is the secret of Lemoncello's library?

My opinion:
WOW. This book was great. I loved every minute of it. It was like a high-tech version of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. The twists and turns in this book are so much fun. I really enjoyed reading about the kids solving the puzzles and trying to find the way out.

This book is nominated for a Sunshine State Reading Award in Florida. Children in grades 3-5 will enjoy reading about Kyle and his friends' adventures in Mr. Lemoncello's library. I highly recommend this book to any fans of Roald Dahl's Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and anyone who likes puzzles and adventures. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
The best part of my week, besides my anniversary, was when Emily finished reading Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library to me. This book by Chris Grabenstein is nothing less then sheer brilliance. Every day as Emily read to me, I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next. As the children in the book learned to work together to solve clues in the library and to find the secret way out, both Emily and I marveled at the mixture of futuristic high tech, the mention of classic books of every kind, and the general mystery. We were equally surprised at the end of the book to find that Chris had a clue for us to figure out. Emily and I got out the dry erase board and went to town deciphering. Once we had figured out the clue, Emily emailed Chris with our findings and was thrilled beyond belief when he emailed her back. ( )
  aileenstewart | Jan 25, 2016 |
Great fun. Much like The Gollywhopper Games, but in a library. Fun for middle grade kids who like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and for middle school students who otherwise aren't interested in reading. ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |
A work of fiction. It is a middle school book that is probably what they call Chapter Books. The reason why I think it is perfect is the setting is a brand new library that an eccentric man call Mr Lemoncello opens in this small town where he had been a boy. Twelve-12 y/o are invited to opening game ceremonies for the brand new library. They stay overnight (two nights) and they must solve a puzzle and escape from the library to win. The book features books of course, it's about a library but it also discusses the Dewey decimal system over and over and also the ways that libraries are so techy and the many ways a library can be a great place to hang out. At the end of the book there is a long list of all the books mentioned in the book, classics to more modern works. There is also a puzzle that the reader can work on solving and ways to contact author/publisher if you solve the puzzle. A great book. I was inspired to read this by my granddaughters who started it on a road trip (read aloud) but I was not able to finish it with them. ( )
  Kristelh | Jan 8, 2016 |
Kevin and his friends and some additional classmates get selected as essay contest winners who get to spend the night before the libraries official opening at the brand new library. There's more to this lockin than meets the eye and it turns into another one of Mr. Lemoncello's games as the kids try to figure out how to get out of the library first.

This book was a lot of fun. We only get to know the players in a superficial way but this is clearly all about the adventure. The story runs a mile a minute as alliances are formed, clues are found and solved, games are played and the amazing library shows off all its wonderful features. There are a million great story references whether it's titles thrown into conversation, on library cards, and clues. I liked that they showed all the puzzles and the reader can take the time to try and figure them out. All in all this book was a lot of fun. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
For the late Jeanette P. Myers,

and all the other librarians who help us

find

whatever we're looking for
This is how Kyle Keeley got grounded for a week.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037587089X, Hardcover)

Kyle Keeley is the class clown, popular with most kids, (if not the teachers), and an ardent fan of all games: board games, word games, and particularly video games. His hero, Luigi Lemoncello, the most notorious and creative gamemaker in the world, just so happens to be the genius behind the building of the new town library.

Lucky Kyle wins a coveted spot to be one of the first 12 kids in the library for an overnight of fun, food, and lots and lots of games. But when morning comes, the doors remain locked. Kyle and the other winners must solve every clue and every secret puzzle to find the hidden escape route. And the stakes are very high.

In this cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and A Night in the Museum, Agatha Award winner Chris Grabenstein uses rib-tickling humor to create the perfect tale for his quirky characters. Old fans and new readers will become enthralled with the crafty twists and turns of this ultimate library experience.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:46 -0400)

"Twelve-year-old Kyle gets to stay overnight in the new town library, designed by his hero (the famous gamemaker Luigi Lemoncello), with other students but finds that come morning he must work with friends to solve puzzles in order to escape"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

157 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,170,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible