Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by…

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library

by Chris Grabenstein

6194315,730 (4.03)35
Recently added bystephanie.croaning, iNanner, private library, Kerrycrosby, libinthemid, davidgn, LVC7

English (42)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
I loved this book! Lots of fun puzzles to figure out, and a cool setting: what librarian wouldn't enjoy reading a story set in the world's most high tech no-budget-spared fancy razzle dazzle library?! But I also liked the game aspect, that the main character loves to play board games, that very oldfashioned thing, as well as video games of course. Cute characters who show a little growth, and funny characters like Mr. Lemoncello who sprinkles his dialogue with book titles: "There's no dead end in Norvelt, not today!" etc. Very clever. So happy it won the Buckeye Children's Book Award, it really deserves it. ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book because it was full of adventure and fun games. It is about a boy named Kyle. His teacher assigned an extra credit essay about Mr. Lemoncellos library. Twelve kids were chosen including Kyle, and his best friend, Akimi. I think people who like funny and exciting stories will like this book.This book is a mystery ( )
  HannahH17 | Sep 19, 2015 |
I liked the book because it had adventures, comedy and fun puzzles. Some of the book seemed like it was fantasy. I got really wrapped up in the book. ( )
  AlexaB15 | Sep 12, 2015 |
Recommended Ages: Gr. 5-7 (but adults, especially librarians and teachers, will probably enjoy it more)

Plot Summary: Alexandriaville hasn't had a public library in twelve years. Thankfully, the new library is about to have it's grand opening. And grand it will be. A bank was renovated and the new library has amazing technology, an amazing collection, and more important, a big adventure. Twelve 12 year olds were chosen based on the essays they wrote to participate in an overnight at the library. When they wake up in the morning, they are asked if they want to participate in an exciting game in which they must find the exit to the library. This won't be easy, because the game is planned by the best game-maker in the world: Mr. Lemoncello, who also donated the money. Who will win?

Setting: Alexandriaville, Ohio, small town

Andrew Peckleman -
Haley Daley - princess of 7th grade
Clarence and Clement - security guards
Mrs. Gail Tobin - head librarian from the 1960s

Recurring Themes: reading, libraries, games, competition, friendship, family

Controversial Issues: none

Personal Thoughts: This book was written for librarians and teachers who will understand the numerous books that are mentioned blatantly or through creative dialogue. However, I wasn't a big fan. It had too much action and not enough character development for me. It started out with me really liking Kyle. He was sweet and willing to share his reward money with his family, but that was where the character development ended. Many other characters were only known for one thing and had no depth to them.

Genre: fantasy or science fiction (not entirely sure if some of the technology that exists in this new library would be possible in the future)

Activity: ( )
  pigeonlover | Aug 12, 2015 |
Hmm. I can't decide what I thought of this book. It is about these kids that have to find their way out of a library by using all these dewey decimal clues that lead them to books in a super technologically advanced magical library. It was a lot like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory except it takes place in a library instead. At times I found the characters and story eye rollingly contrived and annoying. Other times it was endearing and fun. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
For the late Jeanette P. Myers,

and all the other librarians who help us

whatever we're looking for
This is how Kyle Keeley got grounded for a week.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037587089X, Hardcover)

Kyle Keeley is the class clown, popular with most kids, (if not the teachers), and an ardent fan of all games: board games, word games, and particularly video games. His hero, Luigi Lemoncello, the most notorious and creative gamemaker in the world, just so happens to be the genius behind the building of the new town library.

Lucky Kyle wins a coveted spot to be one of the first 12 kids in the library for an overnight of fun, food, and lots and lots of games. But when morning comes, the doors remain locked. Kyle and the other winners must solve every clue and every secret puzzle to find the hidden escape route. And the stakes are very high.

In this cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and A Night in the Museum, Agatha Award winner Chris Grabenstein uses rib-tickling humor to create the perfect tale for his quirky characters. Old fans and new readers will become enthralled with the crafty twists and turns of this ultimate library experience.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:46 -0400)

"Twelve-year-old Kyle gets to stay overnight in the new town library, designed by his hero (the famous gamemaker Luigi Lemoncello), with other students but finds that come morning he must work with friends to solve puzzles in order to escape"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

136 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,694,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible