Brush of the Gods by Lenore Look

Brush of the Gods

by Lenore Look

Great cultural book about a Wu Daozi, a young Chinese boy who discover that he has a great ability to paint. The pictures in this book are amazing. ( )
  tzarate | Apr 24, 2014 |
As a young boy Wu Daozi discovers he has an amazing ability to paint. His paintings become more and more life like until one day they actual come to life!
  stacy3176 | Mar 16, 2014 |
I love the illustrations in this book. I hope children and adults pick up this book about an artist who paints so well, legend has it that his work came to life and he walked into a painting rather than die. ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
I really liked this book because it started off with calligraphy, which is something that I grew up with and I loved how in the end he walks into his pictures, as if he knew he was drawing the end of his life. I also really liked that nobody scolded him when he as younger for drawing on walls. If somebody had done that maybe his talent would have never been known. This reminded me that we need to keep things in control, but also need to make sure that we do not stop any talent from blossoming.
  kurumy | Nov 26, 2013 |
This book serves as a fictional biography of the famous Chinese painter Wu Daozi (689–759?). This book portrays the artistic approach of Daozi. The main theme of the book was to depict the early life story of Daozi.

I really enjoyed the illustrations. They were able to capture most of the essence of Chinese watercolors. The colors are simple and include a fair amount of the proper technical skills.

I also really enjoyed the story line. I find that the story can be believable for most readers. I also think it is something that all kids can relate to, mostly because most students can be distracted. This is a fun approach to Chinese culture. ( )
  larasimmons2 | Nov 25, 2013 |

Who wants to learn calligraphy when your brush is meant for so much more? Wu Daozi (689-758), known as China's greatest painter and alive during the T'ang Dynasty, is the subject of this stunning picture book. When an old monk attempts to teach young Daozi about the ancient art of calligraphy, his brush doesn't want to cooperate. Instead of characters, Daozi's brush drips dancing peonies and flying Buddhas! Soon others are admiring his unbelievable creations on walls around the city, and one day his art comes to life! Little has been written about Daozi, but Look and So masterfully introduce the artist to children.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:24:46 -0400)

During the Tang dynasty, master painter Wu Daozi creates an extraordinary mural for the emperor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,598,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible