The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig

The Invisible Boy

by Trudy Ludwig

The Invisible Boy was a story about a boy named Brian who never seems to be noticed in class or included in any activities with his other classmates. Until one day a new student, Justin, comes into the classroom and Brain is the first to welcome him to the classroom. Brain and Justin then work on a project together and Justin helps Brain to be himself and show his classmates what a great person he is.
I enjoyed the illustrations a lot in this book. The illustrator did and great job of creating a way the images and story line flow together to help the readers understand the story better even through just the pictures. For example, Brian at first in the story is in a sense “invisible” and ignored so the artist drew him in black and white. As Brain grows out of his shell more, the artist begins to draw Brian with more color. It is entertaining to see the pictures move as Brian gets more self-confidence in himself and becomes less “invisible”.
I also enjoyed the way the story talks about being kind to everyone and to be a good friend. For example, Brian seems to be excluded by the other kids in his class. When it comes time to pick a partner for the project, Justin reaches out to Brian and makes him feel wanted and important. Just one instinct of kindness can change anyone’s day, which is exactly what the book implies to readers. ( )
  Toconn2 | Feb 17, 2015 |
I love this book! The main idea of the story is that you are not invisible and it only takes one friends to make a difference in a life. The illustrations in this book were my favorite. The invisible boy, Brian, was drawn in pencil and with the colors grey and a little blue. Everyone else in the story were drawn with excitement and lots of color from hair to shoes. For example, at recess the kids were all playing a game of kickball together, but Brian was grey in the bottom corner not seen to join in the game. The use of this color choice further emphasized the invisible feelings Brain had in school. I also enjoyed the authors use of speech bubbles to show dialogue between characters. It had added interest to the book. Many kids may view this as a comic book instead of a regular story book. A powerful message of no one is invisible is great for children and adults to be reminded all the time. This book was awesome. ( )
  kfrey4 | Feb 17, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the book the invisible boy. I am very passionate about anti-bullying and I believe this books overall message was a strong one. The main character did not receive your typical form of bullying but he was left out and that is also considered bullying. I think that the message was unique and different which really captured my attention throughout the story.
The illustrations were another part of the book, which I think contributed a lot to meaning. In the beginning all the characters were colored in expect the main character that was just drawn in pencil. This sends a powerful message because not only is the reader reading that the character felt invisible and left out, but they are physically seeing it too. This reinforces the message in the book and allows the reader to have a deeper connection with the meaning. As the book progresses and the main character receives more friends he begins to become colored in. In the end everyone is fully colored in. The use of the illustration to help reinforce the point was a very strategic and smart move on the author’s part.
I also really enjoyed the book because the message was so different. Conventional bullying is a problem that a lot of people talk about, but this type of bullying is often either not discussed or not even thought of as bullying. This book helps bring the issue into a spotlight, which it needs. The message is easy to understand and the reader comes away from the book having gained useful knowledge about peoples feelings and how they should treat others. ( )
  Khammersla | Feb 17, 2015 |
This is a fictional story about a young boy named Brian who is invisible to his teacher and peers. Everyday he feels left out, but turns to his journal to doodle and express his thoughts through art. One day a new student Justin arrives and is made fun for his utensils at lunch. Brian writes Justin an encouraging letter and begins to become noticed. The illustrator shows a visual representation of Brian as invisible (black and white) and the transformation of him becoming seen (color). This book would be a great tool for creating an inclusive classroom. ( )
  Ebarclift13 | Feb 2, 2015 |
This book was very sweet and I really enjoyed reading it for several reasons. My favorite part of the book is the illustrations in the book. When Brian feels invisible he is drawn in black and white while the other students are vivid colors. Also in one of the pictures the characters that are causing a disruption are highlighted by lines directing the reader’s eyes to them and away from Brian. However as Brian makes a friend and his classmates become closer with him he then becomes more and more colorful like the other students. Also I enjoy the main character Brian. He is believable and a mirror character for the reader. Many readers will be able to connect with feeling invisible and left out during school and by there peers, and teachers. For example, the students are picking kids for their kickball teams. Brian is the only student left who did not get picked. Finally, I liked that this story pushes the reader to think about how they treat others. This book can be a window book for readers to see how others feel when they are not included. Brian was not invited to a classmate’s birthday party because of this he felt left out and sad. The big idea/message of this story is to be kind to everyone, try to always include everyone and the power of friendship. ( )
  EmilyBeer | Oct 14, 2014 |

Brian has always felt invisible at school, but when a new student, Justin, arrives, everything changes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,696,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible