The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig

The Invisible Boy

by Trudy Ludwig

66None179,725 (4.36)None

In my opinion, this is a great book. This book really pushes readers to think about how easily it is to make someone feel “invisible.” The author does a really great job of showing the reader why Brain feels “invisible.” You always hear about students making other students feel left out, but you never think about how the teacher can make a student feel left out and invisible. The author does this, “Even Mrs. Carlotti has trouble noticing him in her classroom. She’s too busy dealing with Nathan and Sophie.” The author shows the students making him feel “invisible” because they never include him in activities, “I’m so glad you guys had fun!” says Madison. Everybody did except Brain. He wasn’t invited.” The illustrator also shows Brains invisibility by making him the same color as the tables, and other things that did not really matter; everyone else in the story was full of color. I also like how the author uses text bubbles. An example of this is when the new student is eating a strange lunch and the author uses text bubbles above the characters to show the conversation, “It’s Bulgogi.” “Bul-what???” The central message of this book is that one person can make a big difference in someone else’s life. Justin is the new student, and people begin to laugh at him, especially for his food. Brain notices this, “He sits there wondering which is worse—being laughed at or feeling invisible.” Brain decides to be kind to Justin, and in return he makes a friends, and realizes he is not invisible, “Maybe, just maybe, Brain’s not so invisible after all.” ( )
  kjacks26 | Apr 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book very much and feel it is very appropriate story for all grade school children to read. One of the reasons I enjoyed this story was because of the illustrations. I thought they were very well done and fitting for the story. An example of this was how in the beginning of the story Brian has no color in his illustrations, but by the end of the story he is in full color to show how he fits in with his classmates now. Another reason I enjoyed this story was because of the character development. The author did a wonderful job of developing Brian’s character along the way. For instance, the author showing how being left out was impacting Brian and then you see the opposite of that by the end of the story. You were able to feel something towards the character because feeling left out is something everyone has been through at one point. The third reason I enjoyed this story was because of the plot. I felt that it was very fitting for grade school children and can help them fit in with their classmates. Like I said above, this plot is something everyone has been through and it shows how one person can make such a huge difference for someone (as Justin did for Brian). I felt the main message of this story was to show children that all it takes is one person to be kind and accepting of another person. Also, the difference that this can make in that persons’ life to maybe help them fit in a little bit better. ( )
  tricha11 | Mar 4, 2014 |
I liked reading this story. My initial favorite aspect of this book was the color symbolism in the illustrations. In the beginning of the story the boy was a gray/blue. As the story progressed and he began to have friends, he turned into color. I thought this book was a great example of friendship and how significant it is in our lives no matter how old we are. I also liked the plot of the story because it developed well by showing the boy lonely in school, how he reached out to the new student in the class, and then how this lead him to working with more students in the room. The main idea of this story is friendship. ( )
  mingra2 | Mar 3, 2014 |
I love this book, it is about a little boy named Brian. He has trouble making friends and no one seems to notice him. He is invisible to the world. The story goes on to a class project that Brian has to team up with a classmate. things start to change and Brian turns out to be a happy and a hero. ( )
  RoniDavis | Mar 1, 2014 |
The Invisible Boy is about a little boy, Brian, to whom no one isn school pays attention. The theme of the book is friendship. I really enjoyed this book. One thing that I really liked about it was the illustrations. The illustrations depict the idea that Brian is invisible, but as the story continues and he makes a friend, they change to show that he has become less invisible. When the book begins all of the illustrations are colored in except for Brian who is white and outlined in blue. As the story continues and Brian makes a friend, Justin, Brian becomes colored in like the rest of the illustrations. A second thing I really enjoyed about this story was the description of picking teams. The book says that the best kids were chosen, then their friends, then friends of those friends, and then Brian is the last one picked. I think this is one of the most accurate descriptions of picking teams that I have ever read. A third thing that I really enjoyed about this book was how Brian ended up becoming like the superhero he was drawing. His superhero had the power to make friends wherever he went. In one of his drawings, someone gives the superhero a cookie, and at the end of the story, Justin gives Brian a cookie. I loved how Brian was becoming like his superhero. ( )
  MelissaPatek | Feb 25, 2014 |

Brian has always felt invisible at school, but when a new student, Justin, arrives, everything changes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible