The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig

The Invisible Boy

by Trudy Ludwig

The illustrations throughout this wonderfully composed book add to the overall meaning of acceptance and belonging. Brain, the main character of the story feels invisible throughout many circumstances and situations he undergoes daily. Eventually he finds a friend in which he can confide. This budding of friendship changes the color depiction in the illustration, which ultimately stands out to the reader. This is a wonderful story that is evident and apparent in all readers lives, a story of acceptance and friendship. This fiction picture book is a wonderful read! ( )
  arodri13 | May 7, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. This book really pushes readers to think about how easily it is to make someone feel “invisible.” The author does a really great job of showing the reader why Brain feels “invisible.” You always hear about students making other students feel left out, but you never think about how the teacher can make a student feel left out and invisible. The author does this, “Even Mrs. Carlotti has trouble noticing him in her classroom. She’s too busy dealing with Nathan and Sophie.” The author shows the students making him feel “invisible” because they never include him in activities, “I’m so glad you guys had fun!” says Madison. Everybody did except Brain. He wasn’t invited.” The illustrator also shows Brains invisibility by making him the same color as the tables, and other things that did not really matter; everyone else in the story was full of color. I also like how the author uses text bubbles. An example of this is when the new student is eating a strange lunch and the author uses text bubbles above the characters to show the conversation, “It’s Bulgogi.” “Bul-what???” The central message of this book is that one person can make a big difference in someone else’s life. Justin is the new student, and people begin to laugh at him, especially for his food. Brain notices this, “He sits there wondering which is worse—being laughed at or feeling invisible.” Brain decides to be kind to Justin, and in return he makes a friends, and realizes he is not invisible, “Maybe, just maybe, Brain’s not so invisible after all.” ( )
  kjacks26 | Apr 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book very much and feel it is very appropriate story for all grade school children to read. One of the reasons I enjoyed this story was because of the illustrations. I thought they were very well done and fitting for the story. An example of this was how in the beginning of the story Brian has no color in his illustrations, but by the end of the story he is in full color to show how he fits in with his classmates now. Another reason I enjoyed this story was because of the character development. The author did a wonderful job of developing Brian’s character along the way. For instance, the author showing how being left out was impacting Brian and then you see the opposite of that by the end of the story. You were able to feel something towards the character because feeling left out is something everyone has been through at one point. The third reason I enjoyed this story was because of the plot. I felt that it was very fitting for grade school children and can help them fit in with their classmates. Like I said above, this plot is something everyone has been through and it shows how one person can make such a huge difference for someone (as Justin did for Brian). I felt the main message of this story was to show children that all it takes is one person to be kind and accepting of another person. Also, the difference that this can make in that persons’ life to maybe help them fit in a little bit better. ( )
  tricha11 | Mar 4, 2014 |
I liked reading this story. My initial favorite aspect of this book was the color symbolism in the illustrations. In the beginning of the story the boy was a gray/blue. As the story progressed and he began to have friends, he turned into color. I thought this book was a great example of friendship and how significant it is in our lives no matter how old we are. I also liked the plot of the story because it developed well by showing the boy lonely in school, how he reached out to the new student in the class, and then how this lead him to working with more students in the room. The main idea of this story is friendship. ( )
  mingra2 | Mar 3, 2014 |
I love this book, it is about a little boy named Brian. He has trouble making friends and no one seems to notice him. He is invisible to the world. The story goes on to a class project that Brian has to team up with a classmate. things start to change and Brian turns out to be a happy and a hero. ( )
  RoniDavis | Mar 1, 2014 |

Brian has always felt invisible at school, but when a new student, Justin, arrives, everything changes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,711,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible