The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig

The Invisible Boy

by Trudy Ludwig

I really like this story. The illustrations are what make the story so unique. I feel as if the illustrations alone with no words could tell the story. The illustrations are colorful with the main character of the story always drawn in black and white. This shows that he is always sad and no one notices him. As the story goes on Brian begins to meet friends and he eventually isn't black and white anymore. The writing is clear and organized. The book pushes readers to think about how Brian felt and maybe relate it to their life and feelings as well. ( )
  abless3 | Oct 5, 2015 |
I liked this book for several reasons. First, the illustrations throughout the book were very detailed which helped show emotion. For example, the illustrator sketched Brian in a “ghostlike” manner in whites and grays next to other students who were in color. Secondly, the characters in this book were very believable. Brian was displayed as an outcast surrounded by others who didn’t give him a chance. This can be related to many schools where unfortunately this behavior is far from uncommon. Lastly, this book pushed me to think about tough issues such as bullying and how all people aren’t nice to each other. The main idea of this book was centered on being kind to others, as you never know what they are going through. ( )
  dbrock3 | Oct 5, 2015 |
I really like this story for many reasons. The illustrations throughout the story portray how the little boy Brian feels throughout the story. Brian always seems to be left out and colored in grays. All of the other kids are always happy and drawn with bright colors. As the story progresses and Brian begins to find friends, he also gets drawn with colors and is not gray anymore. I also really enjoyed the characters in this book. There are many kids like Brian in school that are sometimes quiet and shy. Brian feels invisible throughout the story because he is always left out. Many kids can relate to the way Brian feels throughout the story. I also really enjoyed the message that this book pushes readers to understand. Involving someone and being kind to others can go a long way in someones life. Brian in the story finds one friend and it makes the whole difference in his life. This is a very good book for students. ( )
  smurph33 | Sep 14, 2015 |
I liked “The Invisible Boy” by Trudy Ludwig for many reasons. The book is about a little boy named Brian, who feels like he is invisible. No one ever talks to him, or invites him to play with them, he always feels left out. When a new student, Justin, joins Brian’s class, Brian reaches out to him after the other children make fun of Justin’s food. The two boys work on a class project together and quickly become friends. I think this is a great book to read to students to encourage them not to bully others, or leave them out. I recommend that this book be read to K-2nd graders. ( )
  swarnk1 | Sep 14, 2015 |
I liked this book for three reasons. First, I thought the illustrations were both beautiful and creative. At the beginning of the book, when Brian was constantly being ignored and overlooked, he was a dull gray color, while the other children and his surroundings were bright and beautiful. However, when the new student, Justin, begins to pay attention to him, his gray coloring gives way to the same vibrant shades as the other children. This was a fantastic metaphor, which I initially overlooked on my first read-through. Second, I thought Brian was a very believable character. It was very obvious that he wanted to be noticed and liked, but because his interests and temperament were different than his classmates, he felt like an outsider. Such a scenario is very common, and I found myself remembering similar experiences from elementary school. Third, I found the plot to be very well paced and logical. I especially liked how the slight conflict when Justin initially talked to Brian (where he first begins to show color), before running off with the other students (where the color fades back to gray). I appreciated that the resolution was not immediate—in other words, one fleeting moment of being noticed was not enough to help Brian. It was not until Justin was consistently kind to Brian—even going so far as to stop another classmate from picking on him—that all was well. The message of the story is flawlessly explained, once again, by the creative illustrations: being kind can truly brighten a person’s day. ( )
  mkatz9 | Sep 11, 2015 |
Thank you, Brad, for always including me in your world.--T.J.L.
For Jerry--P.B.

Brian has always felt invisible at school, but when a new student, Justin, arrives, everything changes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible