Flashover by Suzanne Chazin

Georgia Skeehan, fire marshal in the New York Fire Department, thinks there’s something fishy about the death of two doctors in separate arson fires. It turns out both doctors sat on a board that determined whether firefighters received a disability pension based on what they contended was a work-related injury. The doctors usually decided against the firefighters. Former co-workers of her late firefighter father warn Georgia off the investigation, believing the arsonist may have ties to the fire department and not wanting to sully its name. In another plot line, Georgia’s best friend disappears from her blood-drenched apartment in what looks like a homicide – although her body is not there. Found in the apartment, however, is Georgia’s lover, who is jailed under suspicion of murder.

Although not normally a reader of thrillers, I couldn’t put this book down. While I was away from it, all I could think of was how I could find a few minutes to get back to it. Suzanne Chazin is a member of the International Association of Arson Investigators and her husband is a high ranking chief in the NYFD, according to the dust jacket. Her access to the behind-the-scenes workings of the NYFD helps her bring an incredible sense of realism to the story.

The plot was wonderfully complex, but the writing was so clear, I stayed with story from start to finish. There were never places – as there are in many mysteries I read – where I wanted to skim over what I considered to be superfluous details. There weren’t any. I also enjoyed the main character. She’s a brave, strong, no-nonsense woman who’s succeeding in a man’s world. Yet she’s compassionate and quite likeable.

First published in Mystery News, October-November 2002 edition. ( )
  NewsieQ | Dec 27, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515135089, Mass Market Paperback)

The fiery deaths of two doctors turn up the heat for New York fire marshal Georgia Skeehan. And when evidence surfaces indicating there is an arsonist-and a murderer-within the FDNY, Georgia faces blasts of betrayal from every direction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

New York City fire marshall Georgia Skeehan investigates suspicious fires that killed two physicians who served on a board that habitually denied line-of-duty compensation to disabled firefighters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible