Far Far Away by Tom McNeal

Far Far Away

by Tom McNeal

A slow starter, but then...I couldn't put it down. It had twists and a unique plot. The narrator is the ghost of Jacob Grimm, who is left to wonder the earth looking for a purpose - and he finds one in Jeremy Johnson Johnson. He finds a boy, Jeremy Johnson Johsnon, who can hear him. Jacob feels his purpose is to protect Jeremy from someone called the Finder of Occasions. A series of events makes the town turn on Jeremy and soon after on his friend, Ginger.
Someone who seems helpful is not, someone who seems not to be is. ( )
  ewyatt | Dec 20, 2016 |
*Book source ~ NetGalley

Jeremy Johnson Johnson of Never Better can hear voices and ever since he made the announcement as a child the townspeople have treated him like crap which got worse after his mother skipped town and his father became a recluse. But Jeremy usually doesn’t let it get him down. He has the ghost of Jacob Grimm as his companion and a goal to go away to college to keep him going. Until one day Ginger Boultinghouse turns her considerable charms on him and things go mostly downhill from there. With one of the Brothers Grimm by his side, do you think Jeremy has a happy ending?

This fairy tale retelling is a weird one to follow. Jeremy is kinda boring except for his ghost friend Jacob and his daring friend Ginger. But the tale is told from Jacob’s POV so it’s actually more interesting than it starts out. Jacob is supposed to be protecting Jeremy from someone or something called The Finder of Occasions. As the story is told, Jeremy goes about his fairly unremarkable life, trying to figure out a way to keep from getting evicted and the tension builds and builds and builds because this sinister-sounding Finder takes plenty of time (nearly the entire book!) to show up. The suspense was almost unbearable! I kept wondering when the shoe was going to drop. And when it does? Holy shit! Yeeeks! I can’t really go into detail without giving it away, so I’ll just say I was unsatisfied with the Finder’s part of the story. The why is left hanging. Or maybe I missed it. Not sure which. Anyway, this is still a decent read. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Nov 28, 2016 |
Wow. Four stars or five? Incredibly engaging tale of Jeremy Johnson Johnson, who lives in the small town of Never Better in the upper Midwest (Nebraska, I think). Jeremy hears the voice of Jacob Grimm of the famous Brothers Grimm. And if hearing voices doesn't make you a pariah in a small town, having a father who hasn't left the house in years doesn't help. Then when a local girl, Ginger, entices him to play a prank on the local baker and he is caught, the townspeople turn even more against him.

I'm not sure about all the reviewers who thought it was slow or boring - I found it just the opposite. I loved the voice of Jacob Grimm as narrator. And Jeremy's an interesting character in his own right, but the developing relationship with Ginger made him even more likable, and I couldn't stop reading. Then... the story takes a DARK turn - VERY DARK. But by then I couldn't stop reading, even though I found the story had become... heavy, perhaps? Still... hats off to Tom McNeal on a well-written and thoroughly engrossing story. ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
I hated almost every single character in this book except Jeremy Johnson Johnson. His mother abandoned him, his father mentally checked out and left him to raise himself, his one friend got him into trouble, his ghost--Jacob Grimm--was unhelpful and arrogant. Poor Jeremy's life just went from bad to worse.
I honestly got to the last few chapters and could not force myself to find out how this story ended. Abandoned with no intention of ever returning. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
4.5 Stars ( )
  Emily_Anne | Aug 8, 2016 |
Far Far Away captures the wit of "Doctor Who," the magical appeal of Narnia and Hogwarts, the no-nonsense approach to writing about nonsensical things previously mastered by Jasper Fforde, the enchantment of timeless fairy tales, and the harsh realities of the real world … all in one pretty, delightful, 384-page package.

Have I mentioned that I adored this book?
added by zhejw | editThe Examiner, Sara Gundell (Dec 13, 2013)

For Sam and Hank
What follows is the strange and fateful tale of a boy, a girl, and a ghost.

When Jeremy Johnson Johnson's strange ability to speak to the ghost of Jacob Grimm draws the interest of his classmate, Ginger Boltinghouse, the two find themselves at the center of a series of disappearances in their hometown.

It says quite a lot about Jeremy Johnson Johnson that the strangest thing about him isn't even the fact his mother and father both had the same last name. Jeremy once admitted he's able to hear voices, and the townspeople of Never Better have treated him like an outsider since. After his mother left, his father became a recluse, and it's been up to Jeremy to support the family. But it hasn't been up to Jeremy alone. The truth is, Jeremy can hear voices. Or, specifically, one voice: the voice of the ghost of Jacob Grimm, one half of the infamous writing duo, The Brothers Grimm. Jacob watches over Jeremy, protecting him from an unknown dark evil whispered about in the space between this world and the next. But when the provocative local girl Ginger Boultinghouse takes an interest in Jeremy (and his unique abilities), a grim chain of events is put into motion. And as anyone familiar with the Grimm Brothers know, not all fairy tales have happy endings. . .

Young adult veteran Tom McNeal (one half of the writing duo known as Laura & Tom McNeal) has crafted a novel at once warmhearted, compulsively readable, and altogether thrilling--and McNeal fans of their tautly told stories will not be disappointed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:56 -0400)

"When Jeremy Johnson Johnson's strange ability to speak to the ghost of Jacob Grimm draws the interest of his classmate, Ginger Boltinghouse, the two find themselves at the center of a series of disappearances in their hometown"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible