The Beatrice Letters by Lemony Snicket

The Beatrice Letters (edition 2006)

by Lemony Snicket (Author), Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Member:Kythe42
Title:The Beatrice Letters
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Edition: Ina Nov PC, 72 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Wishlist

The Beatrice Letters by Lemony Snicket

As a young man, Lemony Snicket writes a number of love letters to his unrequited love, Beatrice Baudelaire. Another Beatrice Baudelaire altogether writes letters to an older Lemony Snicket, hoping to get help from him in tracking down her lost relatives -- Violet, Sunny, and Klaus Baudelaire.

This book is a supplement to the popular children's book series, A Series of Unfortunate Events. While I quickly read all the books when they came out years ago, for some reason I never got around to this title even though I wanted to read it. When I watched the new Netflix series based on the books recently, I was reminded that I hadn't read this title yet so I checked it out of the library.

The book is quite lovely in creation, with the various letters sent back and forth illustrated to look like small notecards, crumpled up pieces of paper, and so forth. The letters themselves are rather funny in the clever, tongue-in-cheek, and snarky ways you'd expect from Lemony Snicket. There is one rather long passage about how much Snicket loves Beatrice that is a must read. It is beautifully touching with just enough humor and silliness to prevent it from becoming overly sentimental.

I did enjoy this title, but I think reading it closer to the original series would have been smarter. There were definitely some details and nuances that I did not remember well this many years later. So if you and/or your kids are reading and enjoying the Series of Unfortunate Events books, I'd recommend checking out this book soon after as well. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 26, 2017 |
A quirky supplementary book to the popular Series of Unfortunate Events, this collection of letters is meant to be read before the thirteenth, and last, book in the series. Upon opening the book, one discovers that it is like an accordion file with two pockets. In the first pocket is the book, and in the second is a poster. The book alternates between written letters from two authors and pictures that are small screen shots from the larger poster with a cut-out letter in the middle. Some of the letters have evidence attached, such as photographs or playbills. The letters are written by Lemony Snicket to Beatrice, and by Beatrice to Lemony. It soon becomes apparent that the recipient Beatrice is the one from the forwards to all the books, the lady whom Lemony loves, and the writer Beatrice is an altogether younger girl who is searching for Lemony to help her find her family. Since I read the thirteenth book before I read this collection, I knew the identity of the younger Beatrice, but it would be a nice teaser to readers still waiting to read the finale. The poster, likewise, offers many clues to events that will transpire in the final Baudelaire adventure.

The letters maintain the same delightful dark humor as found in the Series of Unfortunate Events, with forebodings and word play galore. They also divulge quite a bit of information about Lemony Snicket's past, in particular his early relationship with Beatrice, which becomes a doomed and tragic memory later in his life. Furthermore, the package is so unique and original, with hidden codes, letters that are meant to be punched out and arranged in anagrams, and an accompanying poster. I always appreciate book innovations, and this is a lovely presentation with fun hidden information. It is like having embedded easter eggs, but in book form. Certainly fans of the Unfortunate Events series will enjoy this, but the material is so pointed that people unfamiliar with the Baudelaire adventures will be mostly puzzled. ( )
  nmhale | Jul 28, 2016 |
Beautifully done. A little teaser for the final book ( )
  nx74defiant | Jun 4, 2016 |
Very confusing as a book, but the ultimate as a collectable item. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
For fans of general silliness. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
added by marek02 | editNewspapers Flash

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Top secret—only for readers deeply interested in the Baudelaire case. How I pity these readers.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:42 -0400)

Presents a collection of correspondence between the elusive Lemony Snicket and the mysterious Beatrice.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,407,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible