The Gamal: A Novel by Ciarán Collins

The Gamal: A Novel

by Ciarán Collins

"Meet Charlie. People think he's crazy. But he's not. People think he's stupid. But he's not. People think he's innocent-- He's the Gamal. This is the story of the dark heart of an Irish village, of how daring to be different can be dangerous and how there is nothing a person will not do for love"
  JRCornell | Nov 17, 2018 |
p.163 in Spring 2016
  kpm1230 | Feb 10, 2017 |
I agree with duende. It did not catch my fancy either. A bit too similar to The Thing about December, but December had better pace. I found this book a bit laborious. I didn't finish it, dropped it back to the library when due. ( )
  martymojito | Oct 5, 2014 |
I just couldn't get into this one. I felt like I was reading in circles, which seemed to be the author's intention. Presumably, the narrator had some sort of mental health issue, or was somewhere on the autistic spectrum, or both, but nothing hooked me into the story so the book came due at the library before I finished, and I wasn't interested enough to renew. ( )
1 vote duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
Once upon a time a long time ago.

"Meet Charlie. People think he's crazy. But he's not. People think he's stupid. But he's not. People think he's innocent-- He's the Gamal. Charlie has a story to tell, about his best friends Sinéad and James and the bad things that happened. But he can't tell it yet, at least not till he's worked out where the beginning is. Because is the beginning long ago when Sinéad first spoke up for him after Charlie got in trouble at school for the millionth time? Or was it later, when Sinéad and James followed the music and found each other? Or was it later still on that terrible night when something unspeakable happened after closing time and someone chose to turn a blind eye? Charlie has promised Dr Quinn he'll write 1,000 words a day, but it's hard to know which words to write. And which secrets to tell. This is the story of the dark heart of an Irish village, of how daring to be different can be dangerous and how there is nothing a person will not do for love" -- from author's web page.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,831,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible