I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal…

I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal Essays

by Elinor Lipman

Witty, interesting and well-written. It's so much fun to read the thoughts of one of my favorite authors. And though, from the surface, it looks like I have nothing in common with her, it was amazing how many times I found myself thinking, "Yes, exactly!" Wonderful book. ( )
  smallwonder56 | Jan 7, 2017 |
Delightful audio read by Lipman herself----and it's exactly what you would expect from her---straightforward, funny, endearing. ( )
  nyiper | Jun 3, 2014 |
It was just out-dated reprinted articles from the 80s and 90s. I wish books like these would identify themselves as such - it feels misleading. The only time it was vaguely good was the very brief time she talked about her husband's illness. It was so real. Everything else was so overly edited (and not well, at that) it was a struggle to even finish this book. I've never read her novels and I certainly feel less inclined to check them out now. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Ever since I read The Inn at Lake Devine in 2009, Elinor Lipman has been one of my "go to" authors when I need some light and fun fiction. So when I saw she'd come out with a book of essays - many of them previously published in The Boston Globe and other periodicals - I had to check it out.

These thirty-one essays composed of broad subjects - family, writing, love & marriage - are truly delightful reading. She's funny one moment and making a thoughtful point the next, and even though she's in a different season of life than I am, her observations made me laugh and cry. I could completely relate to "No Thank You, I Think," in which she talks about why she now says "no" to some invitations. I, too, sometimes want to say "no" just to sit at home and read, and it was nice to know that someone else can not only admit it, but says so with aplomb. In one section, she talks about many aspects of being a writer, from looking for (and providing) blurbs, to the anxieties and frustrations involved in being the author at an event. Her essays about her husband, from a Coupling column she wrote regularly as the "long married" woman, were funny and heartwarming. A highly enjoyable read for anyone who enjoys humorous essays or getting to know a favorite author. ( )
  bell7 | May 23, 2013 |
I was reluctant to read this, because I'm a fan of Elinor Lipman's fiction, and I didn't know if her essays would be as good. But they were even better. ( )
  bearette24 | Apr 19, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054757620X, Hardcover)

From the beloved and acclaimed novelist, a collection of witty, moving essays

In her two decades of writing, Elinor Lipman has populated her fictional universe with characters so utterly real that we feel like they’re old friends. Now she shares an even more intimate world with us—her own—in essays that offer a candid, charming take on modern life. Looking back and forging ahead, she considers the subjects that matter most: childhood and condiments, long marriage and solo living, career and politics.

Here you’ll find the lighthearted: a celebration of four decades of All My Children, a reflection on being Jewish in heavily Irish-Catholic Lowell on St. Patrick’s Day, a hilariously unflinching account of her tiptoe into online dating. But she also tackles the serious and profound in eloquent stories of unexpected widowhood and caring for elderly parents that use her struggles to illuminate ours. Whether for Lipman’s longtime readers or those who love the essays of Nora Ephron or Anna Quindlen, I Can't Complain is a diverting delight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:30 -0400)

A winning collection of essays about home, love, cooking, politics, and the writing life from the acclaimed novelist.

8 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,297,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible