The Luckiest Lady in London by Sherry Thomas

The Luckiest Lady in London

by Sherry Thomas

Series: London series [Sherry Thomas] (book 1)

Either I was in the right mood for a historical or this is really a lovely story.

You know how characters can mess up your reading experience? In this case it is the opposite. Both Felix Rivendale and Louisa Cantwell are wonderful. They are both flawed, they make mistakes (especially the marquis). What I loved is how natural and human they are and how they have perfectly valid reasons for what they are doing.

She is an ordinary young woman, she needs 'bust improvers' and she never hides her desires. It's refreshing and enjoyable to read their banter. And at the same time heartbreaking when that banter and his secrets turn into obstacles to their happiness. What is standing in their way are not enemies or ex lovers.

Felix Rivendale is perfect on the outside. He's got everyone fooled. Well, everyone except her. The fact made him notice her.
One of the saddest scenes in the book is when he sees her removing flowers from her room. The flowers he sent. You'll have to read it to know why such a thing would be heartbreaking. After a childhood he had, no wonder he doesn't want to repeat miserable mistakes his parents made.

I loved the first half of the book. Nothing happens between them physically, but the dialogue is so hot and great that it might as well. The scene with his cane is the best example.

The story started to drag a bit later. His reasoning for certain actions after they got married is strange at best, and she somehow lost her pragmatism. It's like it would almost be better if they waited a bit longer. Also, the ending is a bit abrupt.

Overall, an enjoyable book. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
4.5/5
Gorgeous writing, strong characterisation, charismatic, loveable main heroes, - this is pretty much a trademark for Sherry Thomas. Both Louisa and Felix wear masks, and it takes one skillful pretender to see another. Ironic, sensual, unexpected, this book reminds me of the latest gem by Courtney Milan. However, a slightly disappointing ending made me take a point off my rating. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Podría haber tenido un conflicto mucho más interesante, sobre todo con lo que prometía desde un principio con la historia de Felix.

Pensé que iba a tener un desarrollo más deprimente (como el de Private Arrangements) y a cada rato, mientras se avecinaba alguna pelea/revelación/mentira, me encontraba pensando: "acá viene, acá viene el drama!"... y si bien había escenas de angst, éstas fueron -por ponerlo de algún modo- medio bobas, casi ridículas, para nada a la altura de novelas anteriores, con reacciones un poco exageradas de los personajes

A pesar de todo, me encantaron los personajes, y la trama fue, aunque simple, entretenida.

PD: Lady Tremaine fue -casi- más interesante en este libro que en el suyo. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Read for Fun (Paperback)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 3.75

First Thought when Finished: Other than one little thing, The Luckiest Lady in London by Sherry Thomas was an absolutely unique and wondrous read!

Story Thoughts: The Luckiest Lady in London was truly unique! The normal progression of meet, fall in love, and ever after were all kind of thrown in basket and Sherry set out with her own timeline. One I have to say that I enjoyed! Seriously, other than what I put in the spoiler below--the whole time I was delighted to see what would come next. Heck, even the thing I am going to mention below, I didn't dislike, it just kind of struck me as odd!

SPOILER: [My one problem is that Felix said "I Love You" first. Knowing his history and his amazing game-playing skills that was just not something I bought. The romantic in me loved that he said it first but it just didn't go with their cat/mouse relationship. I loved the way that Louisa said it. That was perfect. I loved that he admitted it to himself but I just think it would have worked better if he said it after her. Really a nitpicky thing but alas that was my one problem.]

Character Thoughts: Louisa and Felix may be two of the most memorable characters in a historical romance that I have ever read. Their frankness, coyness, and game playing were intriguing to read. I thought it would make me dislike them (normally that kind of interaction would) but alas it made me love them more. I loved how well suited for each other their personalities and passions were. If only one of them were manipulative then it would not have worked but Sherry made manipulation work in this case. They really clicked as a couple for me. I was truly rooting them on.

Final Thoughts: Even though this isn't a series (or at least I don't think it is), I am hoping that there are some books for at least 2 characters in The Luckiest Lady in London. Going off to look now! ( )
  thehistorychic | Oct 27, 2014 |
A good story with the characters emotions moving over hills and valleys, pulling the reader along with them. However, I can't help wishing the characters emotions were instead trekking the mountains and caverns of yesteryear.
Re: Audio Narrator: Corrie James is an excellent narrator, and her tone and cadence are easy to listen to. In the future, I would prefer to hear her narration in place of Anne Flosnik's, for stories requiring British accents. ( )
  Conkie | Apr 9, 2014 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
James, CorrieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To X, whose company—
and output—I enjoy tremendously.
Prologue
For as far as he could trace back in time, Felix Rivendale had spent half an hour each day with his parents before teatime.

Felix Rivendale, the Marquess of Wrenworth, is The Ideal Gentleman, a man all men want to be and all women want to possess. Even Felix himself almost believes this golden image. But underneath is a damaged soul soothed only by public adulation. Louisa Cantwell needs to marry well to support her sisters. She does not, however, want Lord Wrenworth, though he seems inexplicably interested in her. She mistrusts his outward perfection, and the praise he garners everywhere he goes. Still, when he is the only man to propose at the end of the London season, she reluctantly accepts. Louisa does not understand her husband's mysterious purposes, but she cannot deny the pleasure her body takes in his touch. Nor can she deny the pull this magnetic man exerts upon her. But does she dare to fall in love with a man so full of dark secrets, any one of which could devastate her, if she were to get any closer?… (more)

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible