The Luckiest Lady in London by Sherry Thomas

The Luckiest Lady in London

by Sherry Thomas

Series: London series [Sherry Thomas] (book 1)

4.5/5
Gorgeous writing, strong characterisation, charismatic, loveable main heroes, - this is pretty much a trademark for Sherry Thomas. Both Louisa and Felix wear masks, and it takes one skillful pretender to see another. Ironic, sensual, unexpected, this book reminds me of the latest gem by Courtney Milan. However, a slightly disappointing ending made me take a point off my rating. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Podría haber tenido un conflicto mucho más interesante, sobre todo con lo que prometía desde un principio con la historia de Felix.

Pensé que iba a tener un desarrollo más deprimente (como el de Private Arrangements) y a cada rato, mientras se avecinaba alguna pelea/revelación/mentira, me encontraba pensando: "acá viene, acá viene el drama!"... y si bien había escenas de angst, éstas fueron -por ponerlo de algún modo- medio bobas, casi ridículas, para nada a la altura de novelas anteriores, con reacciones un poco exageradas de los personajes

A pesar de todo, me encantaron los personajes, y la trama fue, aunque simple, entretenida.

PD: Lady Tremaine fue -casi- más interesante en este libro que en el suyo. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Read for Fun (Paperback)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 3.75

First Thought when Finished: Other than one little thing, The Luckiest Lady in London by Sherry Thomas was an absolutely unique and wondrous read!

Story Thoughts: The Luckiest Lady in London was truly unique! The normal progression of meet, fall in love, and ever after were all kind of thrown in basket and Sherry set out with her own timeline. One I have to say that I enjoyed! Seriously, other than what I put in the spoiler below--the whole time I was delighted to see what would come next. Heck, even the thing I am going to mention below, I didn't dislike, it just kind of struck me as odd!

SPOILER: [My one problem is that Felix said "I Love You" first. Knowing his history and his amazing game-playing skills that was just not something I bought. The romantic in me loved that he said it first but it just didn't go with their cat/mouse relationship. I loved the way that Louisa said it. That was perfect. I loved that he admitted it to himself but I just think it would have worked better if he said it after her. Really a nitpicky thing but alas that was my one problem.]

Character Thoughts: Louisa and Felix may be two of the most memorable characters in a historical romance that I have ever read. Their frankness, coyness, and game playing were intriguing to read. I thought it would make me dislike them (normally that kind of interaction would) but alas it made me love them more. I loved how well suited for each other their personalities and passions were. If only one of them were manipulative then it would not have worked but Sherry made manipulation work in this case. They really clicked as a couple for me. I was truly rooting them on.

Final Thoughts: Even though this isn't a series (or at least I don't think it is), I am hoping that there are some books for at least 2 characters in The Luckiest Lady in London. Going off to look now! ( )
  thehistorychic | Oct 27, 2014 |
A good story with the characters emotions moving over hills and valleys, pulling the reader along with them. However, I can't help wishing the characters emotions were instead trekking the mountains and caverns of yesteryear.
Re: Audio Narrator: Corrie James is an excellent narrator, and her tone and cadence are easy to listen to. In the future, I would prefer to hear her narration in place of Anne Flosnik's, for stories requiring British accents. ( )
  Conkie | Apr 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed this romance as it hearkens back to Thomas' first book, Private Arrangements, which I loved! But, I had issues here with the hero. The way he treats Louisa after their wedding night is too cruel and selfish on his part and I really had a hard time forgiving him for it, despite how he gets his comeuppance later on. He was needlessly unfair to Louisa, who was in the dark as to why he was doing it. It's not like in PA, where the bride actually did something awful. Still it was a good book (albeit, short) and had plenty of angst and sensuality and I could barely put it down. Loved seeing Lady Tremaine from PA too and this glimpse of her after her trip to Copenhagen. ( )
  ktleyed | Nov 30, 2013 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
James, CorrieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To X, whose company—
and output—I enjoy tremendously.
Prologue
For as far as he could trace back in time, Felix Rivendale had spent half an hour each day with his parents before teatime.

Felix Rivendale, the Marquess of Wrenworth, is The Ideal Gentleman, a man all men want to be and all women want to possess. Even Felix himself almost believes this golden image. But underneath is a damaged soul soothed only by public adulation. Louisa Cantwell needs to marry well to support her sisters. She does not, however, want Lord Wrenworth, though he seems inexplicably interested in her. She mistrusts his outward perfection, and the praise he garners everywhere he goes. Still, when he is the only man to propose at the end of the London season, she reluctantly accepts. Louisa does not understand her husband's mysterious purposes, but she cannot deny the pleasure her body takes in his touch. Nor can she deny the pull this magnetic man exerts upon her. But does she dare to fall in love with a man so full of dark secrets, any one of which could devastate her, if she were to get any closer?… (more)

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,022,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible