City of by Nancy Holder

This book is a novelization of the first episode of Angel. For those who don’t know it, Angel is a spin-off of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

As the title says, Angel is the main character (of the book and the series). He is a vampire who was cursed with a soul and remembers everything he did before that.

As this is the first episode of a series, we can’t judge it the same way that we can other books in terms of character development. We see a lot of how Angel lived and changed through several flashbacks, but the real evolution of the different characters happens throughout the series.

What I loved about this book is that it is not just a novelization. There are also many scenes that are not in the episode, but help with the background of several characters. We see flashbacks of what happened to Spike and Drusilla and why she is so weak in season two of BTVS. We also see how Angel got his soul, which is something I don’t remember seeing in any of the series (other than a brief mention).

Other flashbacks are about things seen in BTVS. Fans of the series will already know what happens in them, but it is very helpful for people who have forgotten the details or for those who never knew them and just want to read this book as a stand-alone vampire novel. The great thing is that it doesn’t matter if you know any of these series or not; you won’t feel completely lost.

A must-read for fans of both series. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
Good novelisation of the tv pilot. ( )
  babydraco | May 29, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671041444, Mass Market Paperback)

"EVERYONE'S GOT HIS DEMONS...."

For Angel, life as a vampire was a constant thrill. Power, danger, cool clothes (never getting old, also a plus). But in the end, it was all about the kill -- until he killed the wrong girl.

""Gypsies, in my experience, are heavily into vengeance. They cursed me. Gave me back my soul. I had to live with everything I'd done and I had to live forever. It took another woman to show me that my endless life was worth living.""

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was Angel's first true love, but the relationship was doomed from the start -- a moment of true happiness would cause Angel to lose his soul forever. So he left -- Sunnydale, Buffy, and everything else meaningful to him.

""Alive for 244 years, I thought I'd seen everything. Then I came to L.A.""

City of Angels. Run by powerful forces, agents of pure evil. It's a city hard on its human population. If Angel wants to save himself, he's going to have to save them...somehow. With the help of two unlikely allies -- a half-demon and a ex -- May Queen -- he's going to set up shop....

And keep watch over his city.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

Angel, along with two unlikely allies, sets out to save himself and the human population of Los Angeles.

Nancy Holder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,808,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible