Tamarack County by William Kent Krueger

Tamarack County

by William Kent Krueger

Yet another solid entry I the Cork O'Connor series. At this point I appreciate the family and character development far more than the mystery of each novel, and this book continues that theme for me. The mystery in this book was solid, but it was not done in a way that the reader could figure out. I think like most book series that make it this far along, the mysteries were better earlier on, but I simply love returning to this world and will keep on reading. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
William Kent Krueger has brought to us another winner in this book. I love when Cork O'Conner has obstacles that come into his life and he is able to show us how to overcome them. These characters feel so real that the reader can actually feel everything they are going through. In this book, Annie, one of Cork's daughters, arrives home from the nunnery early for a Christmas break. She is really troubled and Cork is trying to find out what is going on in her life. His son, Stephen, has a new girlfriend and is helping them with problems that have come into their lives. When Stephen's life end up hanging in the balance, Cork is somewhat beside himself. While trying to cope with all of this, Henry, Cork's spiritual Indian friend, shows up and comforts him. There are other plots running through the book but these are the ones that really kept me wanting more of the story. If you haven't started this series, I suggest you do, but you need to start with the first book in order to get the background of these characters. I'm anxiously looking forward to reading the next book in order to see how all these situations have panned out for the future of these characters. I would highly recommend reading this series to those who love mystery thrillers that help you cope with life's problems. ( )
  EadieB | Feb 15, 2018 |
I have been reading this series in order. This is the 13th and I am still enjoying them. Cork, who twice served as sheriff of Tamarack County, is now a PI and called in to help the police with the mysterious disappearance of a crotchety judge’s wife. The readers learn in the first few pages that she has been murdered but this is not discovered by Cork and the police until much later in the book. The reason for the disappearance (murder) traces back to a 20 year old unjust conviction and a jailhouse conversion. In the meantime, violence once again touches Cork’s family.

What do I like about the series? The sense of place in Minnesota’s Northwoods. Cork’s fallibility. The evolving family dynamics. The plots are always good. ( )
  jwrudn | Nov 11, 2017 |
Called in to assist a search-and-rescue team looking for the wife of a retired local judge, Cork O'Connor notices small, disturbing details about her disappearance. And when the beloved pet dog of a friend is found decapitated, he detects a startling pattern of ominous incidents. Then Cork's son is nearly killed, and Cork knows that someone is spinning a deadly web in Tamarack County. At the center is a murder more than twenty years old for which an innocent man may have been convicted. Cork remembers the case only too well. He was the deputy in charge of the investigation that sent the man to prison. ( )
  jepeters333 | Mar 22, 2016 |
I think I have read all of Krueger's books and I have not been disappointed.
I enjoy meeting the characters many times over. I enjoy 'Tamarack County' as a
sense of place. I like the suspense, the mystery. I like his scenes of winter and can
feel the coldness, the frigid air. He writes about emotions and events that are a part
of everyday life. His inclusion of the Ojibway has given me many insights into a group
I might otherwise have no impression of. (somewhat akin to Tony Hillerman's books)
I eagerly await this author's stories. ( )
  diana.hauser | Feb 9, 2015 |

In rural MN a local woman's car is found and her dog is decapitated. A man sent to prison 20 years ago may now be found innocent. A savage killer wreaks havoc on townspeople. Love confuses three members of an ex-sherrif's family.

Faced with a series of dark occurrences that are linked to a twenty-year-old murder, private investigator Cork O' Connor must stop a vengeful force before his family and friends pay the ultimate price.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,499,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible