Philemon by John G. Nordling

The thing I love about a good commentary (or Bible study, for that matter) is that it causes a definite shift in my perception of the original subject matter. In the case of the book of Philemon, I've experienced two shifts. The first, a brief session years ago at a retreat, gave me a better understanding of the story behind the book. Now Dr. Nordling's tome has given me a better handle of the significance of those 25 Biblical verses. Like any good Lutheran commentary, Philemon the commentary connects its subject to Christ. It does it in the first half of the book, where Dr. Nordling gives extensive information on the background of the letter--including an in depth look at slavery in the ancient world. It also does it in the second half, where he analyzes the text itself. Needless to say, I'll be keeping this one on my shelf. ( )
1 vote Hamburgerclan | May 7, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,817,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible