Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes

Rachel's Holiday (original 1997; edition 2002)

by Marian Keyes

Member:tammychristine
Title:Rachel's Holiday
Authors:Marian Keyes
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes (1997)

The simplest way that I can describe Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes is that I was impressed by how much it accomplished and yet I didn't like it at all. It's a complicated thing, because a large part of the reason I didn't like it was because the main character's attitude, actions, and state of denial were SO AGGRAVATING. Like, holy shit, I wanted to shake this woman and never let her go. But then that's the whole reason the author was successful - because she did such a spot-on job of portraying a non-recovering drunk, and then a newly-recovered drunk, and then a relapsed-drunk, and then a comfortably-settled-into-recovery drunk.

I hated how aggravating the main character was but she was aggravating because people in that state are aggravating. As a recovering alcoholic, I'm sure my behavior was just as confusing to other's as Rachel's was to me. I'm sure my denial, my entitlement, and my ability to find really bizarro excuses for my behavior were no better. And yet, it's rather unpleasant to be stuck in this character's head for hundreds of pages.

All of that said, would I recommend this book to a friend? Well, that depends on what you're looking for. A fun little book that lives up to the pastel purple cover and fun-loving stick figure above the title? Yeah, that's not here. Do you want answers to those, "What the hell were they thinking?!?" questions you've had about people whose lives have gone to hell yet can't seem to stop their bad behavior? Well, this book will answer those questions - though I don't know that you'll like the answers. ( )
  agnesmack | Jul 29, 2016 |
"How did it end up like this? Twenty-seven, unemployed, mistaken for a drug addict, in a treatment centre in the back arse of nowhere with an empty Valium bottle in my knickers ..."
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jul 8, 2016 |
Rachel's Holiday is a wonderfully entertaining book about Rachel, the sister of Watermelon's heroine Claire. Rachel is addicted to drugs and alcohol and nearly ruins her life although she thinks there isn't anything wrong. She looks at rehab as a "holiday", she could use a vacation anyway, and she might get to see some celebrities while she is there. This isn't your typical book about a 20-something hitting rock bottom and having to pick up the pieces of the life she has ruined. The story is so witty and so funny that I laughed out loud but it is much more than that. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
No pensé que iba a ser tan dramático . Hay tanta tensión y autodestrucción en la vida de Rachel que no entiendo como su historia puede ser considerada una mera novela light . A mi me deprimio la madrugada .

Recomendada para quienes les gustan las heroinas "defectuosas" y las tramas de romance trágicas . Pero con final feliz . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Well this is a fecking good book, so it is! It's a comedy about a woman who lives in a state of denial. She can't admit she's a drug addict, that she's tried to kill herself, that she's a completely unreliable narrator. It had me snorting with laughter again and again. It's also close to the bone. The therapy scene where she talks about the dentist was a bit of a personal eye-opener. ( )
  Lukerik | May 17, 2015 |
For Tony
They said I was a drug addict.

The fast lane is much too slow for Rachel Walsh. And Manhattan is the perfect place for a young Irish female to overdo everything. But Rachel's love of a good time is about to land her in the emergency room. It will also cost her a job and the boyfriend she adores.

When her loving family hustles her back home and checks her into Ireland's answer to the Betty Ford Clinic, Rachel is hopeful. Perhaps it will be lovely—spa treatments, celebrities, that kind of thing. Instead, she finds a lot of group therapy, which leads her, against her will, to some important self-knowledge. She will also find something that all women like herself fear: a man who might actually be good for her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

A high-flying young Irishwoman with a penchant for recreational drugs and men in tight leather crash lands in the Cloisters, Dublin's version of the Betty Ford Clinic, where group therapy and middle-aged men in sweaters will drive her nearly out of her mind.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible