Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes

Rachel's Holiday (original 1997; edition 2002)

by Marian Keyes

2,023None3,319 (3.77)28
Member:tammychristine
Title:Rachel's Holiday
Authors:Marian Keyes
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes (1997)

2007 (6) addiction (41) alcoholism (9) British (13) chick lit (222) drug abuse (8) drug addiction (7) drugs (24) Dublin (7) family (11) fiction (167) funny (8) humor (34) Ireland (41) Irish (37) love (6) Marian Keyes (10) New York (12) novel (16) own (14) read (40) recovery (8) rehab (31) relationships (7) romance (40) series (11) to-read (18) unread (11) walsh sisters (8) women (9)

It was a great read, just the thing when you are on a holiday (luckily not the same type as Rachel). Marian Keyes is a master at making you feel like you could be one of the gang and that her characters could become your best friends even if they are all a bit nutty because thats the type of friends I like to have. Rachels Holiday may initially come across as one of Keyes typical style of story but quickly becomes deeper and quite sad and poignant at times the issue addiction is dealt with using a clever mix of comedy and what I can only guess is in depth research. ( )
  jodes101 | May 9, 2013 |
I've read this one before but I purchased it recently for a re-read because I've always thought of it as my favourite of Marian Keyes' books. It probably still is.

I've said before and I'll no doubt say again that when Marian Keyes is good, she's brilliant and that brilliance lies in the honesty of her characters. She understands what being an addict is. The pacing of the book is excellent, gradually filling in what brought us to the present situation even as that current is moved along. It's the same structure she's used in her most recent (at the time of writing) The Mystery of Mercy Close, but that feels disjointed and heavy handed in comparison to this one.

It's littered with Irish vernacular, which I really like.

What I'm not a fan of - and it's just a question of personal taste - are the "chick-lit"-ee bits: those obligatory parts of the genre which those who don't read it thinks constitutes its whole. There aren't many of them and they don't detract too desperately, but personally, I could have lived without them.

So, yes. I'd recommend it. ( )
  foolplustime | Apr 11, 2013 |
I waffled between five and four stars for all of ten seconds before deciding on five, simply because of my sheer inability to be rational about this novel.

I fell in love with Rachel, and I have no idea why. If I hadn't picked this up at a library sale when my impulse control was at it's lowest, I wouldn't have it at all. There's literally nothing about this book, from the cover, to the genre, to the jacket copy to make me think I'd enjoy it, or that it was my kind of book. Because it really isn't.

In fact, my first thought on opening the book on a whim a year after putting it on my shelf (not an uncommon phenomenon) was "oh, nice typeface." Rachel's story was convincing and compelling, if only because the reader is so well grounded in her mental state—she's all over the place emotionally and never seems to notice, but you still get a sense of who she really is under all the drugs. And even knowing that she's in more trouble than she thinks she is, Rachel's done a thorough job of hiding from herself, so as bad as it is, you're almost as shocked as she is when confronted.

Even that wouldn't be enough to give in five stars in my mental rating system, but when Rachel is forced to remember her early childhood, I abruptly found myself in tears. I haven't connected so strongly to a character in I don't know how long. And I don't know why it's Rachel, either. If I were anyone in this novel, I'd be Margaret, the 'brownose' But for Rachel, I spent much of the second half of the novel in tears for her, and was so proud of her recovery. Bizarre, but this unexpected total empathy is exactly why I read, and I haven't experienced it for a while.

MarieAlt | Mar 31, 2013 |
Rachel Walsh's family sends her to what she believes is an exclusive rehabilitation center, but it doesn't turn out to be the vacation she'd dreamed about.

I think the most difficult thing about this book was the fact that I didn't care about any of the characters. Rachel, the drug-addicted twenty-something, was a mess. I pitied her, but I didn't care about her. Neither did I bond with any of the other patients in the treatment center. As much as Rachel claimed that her boyfriend Luke, was an amazing guy, he seemed very cold emotionally as well as sexually demanding. Her bff, possibly the only likeable person in the book, showed up rarely. The nun who was in charge of Rachel's rehabilitation was a bully. Because I couldn't get close to the characters, reading this was like watching a train wreck.

What I did like was the portrayal of Rachel's struggle to come clean. I also liked how she tackled her denial.

Overall, it was kind of meh. ( )
  ufjunkie | Aug 27, 2012 |
Probably my favorite Marian Keyes. ( )
  inkcharmed | Apr 18, 2011 |
For Tony
They said I was a drug addict.

The fast lane is much too slow for Rachel Walsh. And Manhattan is the perfect place for a young Irish female to overdo everything. But Rachel's love of a good time is about to land her in the emergency room. It will also cost her a job and the boyfriend she adores.

When her loving family hustles her back home and checks her into Ireland's answer to the Betty Ford Clinic, Rachel is hopeful. Perhaps it will be lovely—spa treatments, celebrities, that kind of thing. Instead, she finds a lot of group therapy, which leads her, against her will, to some important self-knowledge. She will also find something that all women like herself fear: a man who might actually be good for her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:14 -0400)

A high-flying young Irishwoman with a penchant for recreational drugs and men in tight leather crash lands in the Cloisters, Dublin's version of the Betty Ford Clinic, where group therapy and middle-aged men in sweaters will drive her nearly out of her mind.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140271791, 0241958547

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible