Razor's Edge: Star Wars (Empire and…

Razor's Edge: Star Wars (Empire and Rebellion)

by Martha Wells

I received this book through Goodreads' First Reads program! Thanks to Goodreads and the author!

This was the first Star Wars tie-in book I've read since the original Alan Dean Foster ones, Back In The Day. But I'd heard good things about Martha Wells and was curious to read something by her.

What most struck me about 'Razor's Edge' was how well Wells captured the Star Wars characters. You could definitely vividly 'see' and 'hear' Leia, Han, Luke, &c.; it was all very true to the films.

However - I felt a lack of urgency in the book. I didn't feel the need to rush to finish it, at all. I don't think this is the author's fault - I think it's an artifact of it being a tie-in, relating an incident wedged between 'Star Wars' and 'The Empire Strikes Back' - we already know that no matter how dire the situations the main characters find themselves in, everything will be OK (for the time being), and there's no room for any change in the dynamics of their interpersonal relationships.

However, that aside - this is a fun, action-filled book, with Space Pirates thrown into the conflict between Imperial troops and the Rebel Alliance. Good fun. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Razor's Edge was a novel that i felt disconnected to. I wasn't hearing the voices i should have been hearing. There were parts where I was lost at what was going on and it seemed to drag on. Was not impressed with the novel. Sometimes these are the risks you run with new authors but it is a risk you have to take. Also, when have blaster's ever been called blast rifles? Was a little curious about that one. ( )
  shaneluke29 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Martha Wells has brought the Star Wars universe back another foot forward after a long stretch of mediocre novels and series were bringing the universe down. What's worked here was the use of a cast of favorites set in a time immediately after the destruction of the Death Star. Instead of a huge story spanning across multiple books, characters, and settings this was focused on a short period of time using just a few locations to tell a quick story that's entertaining and provides a few new insights into the characters of Han, Leia, and Luke.

With this and the recent novel, Kenobi, the future of the Star Wars EU is looking better. I definitely will be checking out the next in this series. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 17, 2014 |
The Rebel Alliance is in desperate straits, and Princess Lei with the help of Han Solo and others are on a mission to help rebuild a new base. Set in between the film “Star Wars” and “The Empire Strikes Back”, this adds more. It has all the characters we come to love but concentrates on Princess Leia. It gives more meat to the character and we get to experience more of her banter with Solo. I believe this is only the second Star Wars based novel, I have read but I have to say I enjoyed it. It is filled with non-stop action. ( )
  grumpydan | Jan 5, 2014 |

Times are desperate for the Rebel Alliance. Harassment by the Empire and a shortage of vital supplies are hindering completion of a new secret base on the ice planet Hoth. So when Mid Rim merchants offer much-needed materials for sale, Princess Leia Organa and Han Solo lead an Alliance delegation to negotiate a deal.

But when treachery forces the rebel ship to flee into territory controlled by pirates, Leia makes a shocking discovery: the fierce marauders come from Leia’s homeworld of Alderaan, recently destroyed by the Death Star. These refugees have turned to pillaging and plundering to survive—and they are in debt to a pirate armada, which will gladly ransom the princess to the vengeful Empire . . . if they find out her true identity.

Struggling with intense feelings of guilt, loyalty, and betrayal, Leia is determined to help her wayward kinspeople, even as Imperial forces are closing in on her own crippled ship. Trapped between lethal cutthroats and brutal oppressors, Leia and Han, along with Luke, Chewbacca, and a battle-ready crew, must defy death—or embrace it—to keep the rebellion alive.

Princess Leia Organa and Han Solo lead an Alliance delegation to negotiate a deal for much-needed materials for the Rebel Alliance when they fall into the hands of fierce marauders from Leia's homeworld of Alderaan, recently destroyed by the Death Star. Struggling with intense feelings of guilt, loyalty, and betrayal, Leia is determined to help her wayward kinspeople, even as Imperial forces are closing in on her own crippled ship.… (more)

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

49 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible