Ultima (Proxima 2) by Stephen Baxter

Ultima (Proxima 2) (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Stephen Baxter (Author)

Series: Proxima (2)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Ultima (Proxima 2)
Authors:Stephen Baxter (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2014), 560 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Ultima by Stephen Baxter (2014)

I like alternative histories, it is a completely unmined field of novel entertainment, if done right. This one is done terribly wrong. Apparently the Romans have both constructed spaceships but those appear still like rowboats completely with chain anchors. The poor crew has resort to using parchment because their charts aren't digital, even though consoles light up in the background. If that wasn't enough the writing is so convoluted with ever changing perspectives that I had to go back every few sentences to make sure I had read everything correctly. ( )
  TheCriticalTimes | Sep 10, 2016 |
This is a sequel to the author’s Proxima, and while I have read some reviews that said it can be read as a stand-alone work, I strongly disagree. In any event, why would you ever want to read book two of a series before reading the work that preceded it?

I enjoyed Proxima and looked forward to reading this book, right up until the last couple of pages of Proxima, where an introduction into Ultima was presented. Unfortunately, my premonition was verified. In Ultima, the concept of alternate histories was advanced, a notion that I sometimes find very compelling. In this case, however, the alternative histories which were advanced were so absurd, that I couldn’t work my way past them.

MINOR SPOILERS FOLLOW. You see, in the first alternate history, the Roman Empire never falls, but instead proceeds into the realm of space exploration. The problem is, they never advance beyond their turn of the millennium (First Millennium) technological or cultural proficiency. They just fly around in spaceships, essentially habitats which model ancient Roman cities, guided by Arab navigators (no computers), carrying lances and short swords and utilizing slave labor. Believe me, it is as ridiculous as it sounds.

The next alternate history posits an Incan civilization that ultimately conquers the world and also advances to the level of space exploration, again without any additional technological or cultural advancement. The have constructed a space habitat of the following dimension: A cylinder 3,000 miles long and 400 miles in diameter. Okay, a bunch of Incans, wearing colorful feathers, sacrificing virgins, with no obvious technology, travel the stars and construct an impossible piece of complex engineering.

These absurdly implausible plot constructs destroy what is otherwise a very original and thoughtful work. Loaded with hard science fiction and sometimes very challenging philosophy and astrophysical theory (wormholes, frictionless slide/tunnels, energy kernels), the story continually gets bogged down in frustratingly stupid scenarios. It is a sometimes inconvenient character trait that I am unable to simply look past such absurdities, but instead allow them to destroy my enjoyment of what could otherwise be an enjoyable reading experience. If you are able to suspend disbelief, you might enjoy this sequel. ( )
  santhony | Aug 26, 2016 |
This writer has been around now for many years as a mainstay of British SF but all good things come and go and this writer is plainly running on empty. In this book we have ancient civilisations with space travel, aloof AIs, a chatty android and a mysterious chain of portals that open into 'somewhere else'. Fun maybe hardly deep. Nevertheless, I will continue to buy books by this author for old times... ( )
  AlanPoulter | Jul 9, 2016 |
Ultima is the sequel to Proxima. I greatly enjoyed Proxima and looked forward to Ultima. I was somewhat disappointed upon reading Ultima. The story is ok, but the characters are thinly portrayed and the plot line has degenerated into a formula. The ending is predictable and almost shouts out "there is a sequel in the future." I like almost all of Stephen Baxter's books, but this one is not high on my list of favorites. Still, Ultima is a worthwhile read ... if you have nothing else more pressing. ( )
  rondoctor | Dec 23, 2015 |
Wonderful!

Very good second act. Left wanting a sequel! The science is solid and the history is intriguing. Cliff hanger at the end! ( )
  jblumberg | Oct 28, 2015 |

Stephen Baxterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

19 wanted4 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,898,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible