It Takes a Village by Hillary Rodham Clinton

It Takes a Village

by Hillary Rodham Clinton

Other authors: Barbara Feinman

Hillary Clinton conveys a simple and short message in her book, that we can change the world by working together and being kind to one another. The words had a very soft tone to them but, the illustrations of folks working together added so much more to her simple words. The illustrations were very detailed and incorporated different ways people can help or be kind, demonstrating how we should be. In my opinion the images were not complicated and could be understood well.
As for the common core standards, this is a fiction book with a very strong moral message, it does fall under CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.2 of fiction books and that it has a message that is explainable and easy to follow. I would highly recommend this book for grade levels of 1st thru 3rd grade ( )
  bmeshel | Sep 28, 2017 |
The First Lady, a longtime child advocate, expresses her concerns for the children of today's world and offers her ideas for developing our society into one that values children's unique contributions.
1 vote UnivMenno | May 5, 2007 |

Hillary Rodham Clintonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Feinman, Barbarasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684818434, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:19 -0400)

For more than twenty-five years, First Lady Hiliary Rodham Clinton has made children her passion and her cause. Her long experience with children - not only through her personal roles as mother, daughter, sister, and wife but also as advocate, legal expert, and public servant - has strengthened her conviction that how children develop and what they need to succeed are inextricably entwined with the society in which they live and how well it sustains and supports its families and individuals. In other words, it takes a village to raise a child. This book chronicles her quest - both deeply personal and, in the truest sense, public - to discover how we can make our society into the kind of village that enables children to grow into able, caring, resilient adults. It is time, Mrs. Clinton believes, to acknowledge that we have to make some changes for our children's sake. Advances in technology and the global economy along with other developments in society have brought us much good, but they have also strained the fabric of family life, leaving us and our children poorer in many ways - physically, intellectually, emotionally, spiritually. She doesn't believe that we should, or can, turn back the clock to "the good old days". False nostalgia for "family values" is no solution. Nor is it useful to make an all-purpose bogeyman or savior of "government". But by looking honestly at the condition of our children, by understanding the wealth of new information research offers us about them, and, most important, by listening to the children themselves, we can begin a more fruitful discussion about their needs. And by sifting the past for clues to the structures that once bound us together, by looking with an open mind at what other countries and cultures do for their children that we do not, and by identifying places where our "village" is flourishing - in families, schools, churches, businesses, civic organizations, even in cyberspace - we can begin to create for our children the better tomorrow they deserve.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,995,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible