It Takes a Village, Tenth Anniversary…

It Takes a Village, Tenth Anniversary Edition (edition 2006)

by Hillary Rodham Clinton (Author)

For more than twenty-five years, First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton has made children her passion and her cause. Her long experience with children -- not only through her personal roles as mother, daughter, sister, and wife but also as advocate, legal expert, and public servant -- has strengthened her conviction that how children develop and what they need to succeed are inextricably entwined with the society in which they live and how well it sustains and supports its families and individuals. In other words, it takes a village to raise a child. This book chronicles her quest -- both deeply personal and, in the truest sense, public -- to discover how we can make our society into the kind of village that enables children to grow into able, caring, resilient adults. It is time, Mrs. Clinton believes, to acknowledge that we have to make some changes for our children's sake. Advances in technology and the global economy along with other developments society have brought us much good, but they have also strained the fabric of family life, leaving us and our children poorer in many ways -- physically, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually. She doesn't believe that we should, or can, turn back the clock to "the good old days." False nostalgia for "family values" is no solution. Nor is it useful to make an all-purpose bogeyman or savior of "government." But by looking honestly at the condition of our children, by understanding the wealth of new information research offers us about them, and, most important, by listening to the children themselves, we can begin a more fruitful discussion about their needs. And by sifting the past for clues to the structures that once bound us together, by looking with an open mind at what other countries and cultures do for their children that we do not, and by identifying places where our "village" is flourishing -- in families, schools, churches, businesses, civic organizations, and even in cyberspace -- we can begin to create for our children the better tomorrow they deserve.… (more)
Member:malinablue
Title:It Takes a Village, Tenth Anniversary Edition
Authors:Hillary Rodham Clinton (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2006), Edition: Reissue, 352 pages

It Takes a Village by Hillary Rodham Clinton

This book defines what it takes to build a village. The book also explains that no one comes with a set of instructions. Lastly, the book ends by saying that a village should be worthy of all children.
Ages 3-5
Source - Pierce College Fort Steilacoom Library
  brecken_rheanon | May 26, 2019 |
360 includes social service, i.e.children. This book is an expression of Clinton's political philosophy regarding children based on her statement of 25 years involvement with children. Her failure to acknowledge the ghost writer, Barbara Feinman, harmed the image of the book. Since is writtne by such a political person, it did not carry much weight.
  brendanus | Apr 11, 2019 |
Had a hard time getting through it. The book is more like a labored lecture than the material commands. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
This picture book was a good book. I say this because this book was a very descriptive and detailed book, but still easy at the same time for children to understand. Also, the book relates to real, everyday life. In the book, it talks about how a child can help in the world and their community to make it a better place to be. This is a good book to read to students to help them understand what they can do to help out in the world and the role they take in society. ( )
  mdiven1 | Sep 30, 2018 |
Hillary Clinton conveys a simple and short message in her book, that we can change the world by working together and being kind to one another. The words had a very soft tone to them but, the illustrations of folks working together added so much more to her simple words. The illustrations were very detailed and incorporated different ways people can help or be kind, demonstrating how we should be. In my opinion the images were not complicated and could be understood well.
As for the common core standards, this is a fiction book with a very strong moral message, it does fall under CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.2 of fiction books and that it has a message that is explainable and easy to follow. I would highly recommend this book for grade levels of 1st thru 3rd grade ( )
  bmeshel | Sep 28, 2017 |

Hillary Rodham Clintonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Feinman, Barbarasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,734,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible