The Chosen Shell by Katherine Sartori

The Chosen Shell (edition 2012)

by Katherine Sartori

531,436,638 (4.33)None
Member:MaryAnn12
Title:The Chosen Shell
Authors:Katherine Sartori
Info:Dream Traveler Press (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 316 pages
Rating:*****

The Chosen Shell by Katherine Sartori

The "Chosen Shell" was somewhat slow to catch on to, but once I started to relate to the characters, it was definitely an interesting story. It gives an inside look at what life was like for a nun in the 60's, during the Vatican ll changes. Growing up myself in that era and being an Irish/Italian Catholic, I can relate to much of the basic story.
I admire the main characters courage and strength, and her perseverance to find peace in her heart and with God! ( )
  StaceyKathleen | Mar 20, 2013 |
"The Chosen Shell" by Katherine Sartori

In her debut novel, "The Chosen Shell," Katherine Sartori details six years in the life of Celie O'Rourke.

We meet Celie and her family at a critical time: she's just graduated from high school and decided to become a nun. Her interactions within the convent walls are complex. Teaching in a parochial school and helping Cuban immigrants are gratifying as are her poetry-writing efforts. Changes instituted by the Second Vatican Council affect her life, and California's geography provides a striking contrast to the cloister. Its ocean beaches and mountains influence her development.

Readers will wish a happy future for Celie and hope for another book from her author.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
If I were to shelve my fiction books by subject (rather than alphabetically by author's last name) "The Chosen Shell" would join three others that take their readers into a cloistered world:

"Convent" by Panos Karnezis, "In This House of Brede," by Rumer Godden,and "The Corner That Held Them,"by Sylvia Townsend Warner. ( )
  Esta1923 | Mar 8, 2013 |
Many ex nun books talk about spiritual anguish, pain at religious upheaval or discontent born of intimate confusion... but not this one. This isn't so much the story of a nun and her journey back to the world she'd escaped but the simple and endearing story of a woman in love with God who was unwilling to be dishonest. Good story, simple and to the point... much like the woman it describes.

Very well written and I look forward to more books by Katherine Sartori. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Feb 26, 2013 |
I really enjoyed “The Choosen Shell” and find in it a story of a young women coming to terms with her own identity. Raised in a large religious Catholic family, Celie, the main character serves what she believes is her calling.
The author’s insights into the inner workings and culture of a covenant life are fascinating and intriguing.
Her relationship with her fellow sister, Lupe, is deeply touching and heartfelt.
Celie’s passion for her writing and teaching come through in a genuine way.
This book is a good example of someone finding their own path and that circuitous paths tend to be the most interesting. It is inspiring that in the end the character finds her own voice and chooses her own direction in life.
I look forward to reading other works by Katherine Sartori as they become available.
added by Craigsa | editGeneral, Craig (Mar 11, 2013)

Katherine Sartori is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible